Auto KAT JWT ECU

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
Structure240sx

looks like my 5spd swap isnt goin to happen right now. the guy i was gettin the tranny and some other stuff from is having some problems. so now im back to my original plan of auto KAT until it breaks. i have nsport stage 1 coming in and im gettin sr 370's from movingviolation. im new to all this and learn as i go and have no experince in tuning. i know u can use a SAFC to tune fro 370's but i dont want to chance it. so with the money ill be saving not doin the 5spd swap(fidzana flywheel, spec stage 3, and actual tranny) i could get an ecu retune for the 370's and i already have a boost controller.

now that u know the details my question is if i get the auto ecu retuned will it work fine after the 5spd swap that ill do eventually? i plan on only hookin up the speed sensor, wire a switch for the reverse lights, and bypassing the neutral saftely switch when i learn how to do that. im goin to give them a call tomorrow hopefully dont know if ill have time tho. so any help would be great thanks

also how long does it usually take to get it done from time of shippin out the ECU to gettin it back?

spec-v5150

I dont think it will work. That is why there is a different ECU for each tranny. JWT may be able to do something. And I hear they take AWHILE! I have heard of people waiting 3 months for their ECU

Structure240sx

just called they said that after changing it over the idle speed would be a lil off but they could retuneit for that. the wait time tho is 4-6 weeks maybe ill look for a spare ECU

SingleCamSam

From everything i've seen the JWT ECU is a sour deal. It costs 500 bucks, will probably make your car run too rich, and it needs to be sent back to them everytime it needs a re-tune. If your just throwing on a stage 1 kit i'd just get the HKS S-AFR and tune it on a dyno. This will be compatible with your automatic. And when the slushbox finally breaks and you get your manual tranny you can move on to more advanced engine management.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Running a little rich is safer. I've heard of some small gains in power by tuning the JWT with an adjustable FPR. Decrease pressure slightly to lean it out. But a re-tune will likely only be needed if you are changing something more major...such as fuel injector size or the MAF. It will auomatically adjust for most other conditions.

Structure240sx

i just feel a lil intimidated with using a fuel computer. i guess i should get one and read the manual then it prob wouldnt be too bad. jsut have to find a dyno around here.

c-kwik, i plan on puttin in 370cc's

are the SAFC and S-AFR's user friendly? im pretty good at figureing out stuff think ill be able to handle it

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

A piggy-back will probably be easier and more comfortable to get into. Stand-Alones are becoming easier to tune, but since the programming has to be set almost from the ground up, it can take some serious dynotune and drive and tune to get right. The TEC3 is supposed to be able to get you at least running with a basic and safe mapping based on some calculations about your motor. Not sure how user friendly it is though, particularly for beginners.

95_240sx
Car: My baby (car)

Piggybacks are a breeze once you figure out how to program them, plus they have bling bling factor :)

Rick

Structure240sx

yea i wasnt even considering a stand alone. looks like ill go with safc and jsut ask more questions when i need to thanks guys

spec-v5150

Structure240sx wrote:i just feel a lil intimidated with using a fuel computer. i guess i should get one and read the manual then it prob wouldnt be too bad. jsut have to find a dyno around here.

c-kwik, i plan on puttin in 370cc's

are the SAFC and S-AFR's user friendly? im pretty good at figureing out stuff think ill be able to handle it
Same here. However I am looking at both options. JWT cost 500 plus 100 buck increments for retunes. I dont want to run anymore than 12 boost at the track every now and again. Daily driving I probably wont go past 7 psi. I figured I could get away with a S-AFC or something like that. Besides we can try on my friends first. I am turboing a DOHC, and he is doing SOHC. So if he blows somethign, we have a spare engine

nmo93

the safc isn't all that bad to use, i've installed two and can help you out tuning it, but your best bet is to go to a dyno w/ a wideband. i know of two, both about an hour away. when your ready let me know.btw, seems like you are running out of time. little over 3 weeks left till june 6th. is your car gonna be done by then? now no 5-speed, i don't want to hear any excuses. i've heard it all. want to borrow my brothers supra for the night? seems like that is the only chance you have to keep up w/ me. :D nick

silviaNE
Car: cars what else?

You should look into the e-manage. Has a whole lot more flexability and not much more money. I have even seen them for sale on e-bay $300 new shipped. Not a bad deal.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

I thought that the NSport kit came with a FMU? You shouldn't need an ECU retune if you are getting the nsport kit.

Structure240sx

yes it comes with an fmu, but i want to put in 370cc SR injectors so i can run 9-10psi

DaveEEE

If you are only running 370cc, get a S-AFC and sell the FMU. No need for the ecu retune then...

dave

Structure240sx

thats what i've decided on. i was jsut a lil nervous before about using a piggyback since i dont have any experience with them

SHiFT

maybe someone can explain this because I'm fuzzy on the subject..what exactly does an FMU do and why does everyone seem to dislike it, and prefer the ecu with maf instead?

huguetpj
Car: 93 KAT Coupe

well an FMU raises fuel pressure in the fuel rail forcing the injectors to pump out more fuel at the same duty cycle. I myself believe this to be some sort of band aid, ECU retune or AFC is the way to go for me. Why you may ask? Raising the fuel pressure brings along some issues, for example leaks, injectors failing because you are using them at or near their max duty cycle at higher pressures than they were designed for (specially stock injectors). Also, fuel pumps flow less fuel at higher fuel pressures.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

To bad I don't have my fuel management set up yet.....

WD

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”