Auto Door Lock Question

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
finbleu
Car: Mountain Climbing

Briefly getting out of my new G-35 Sedan with the engine running to get the mail, I was a bit suprised when I returned to discover that the all the doors had locked automatically. This is the first car I have owned that locks doors with keys in the ignition and the engine running. I am not sure this design function is by intent.

Reading the G-35 manual it says I must first lock the door and that this would keep the door from auto-locking.

Comments, suggestions?

As a note, I love this car and consider it one of the best all around cars I have ever owned.

GeeThreeFive

I have never had that problem with my coupe but some of my family members cars had the same problem. There is a way to change the auto to manuel lock on the hand held device. When you start down the road does your doors automatically lock after a matter of seconds?

finbleu

I checked to see if the doors locked automatically today and they do not. I am going to see the dealer this weekend and make sure this is not an abnormal situation. When I find out I will post here.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

On my M45 (and my wife's Acura 2.2CL) if you use the remote to unlock the door and then do not actually physically open a door, it relocks itself after a short while (about 2 to 3 minutes) and re-arms the alarm system. This is a design feature - mentioned in the manual. I am not sure if the G35 has this, but I would not be surprised.

However, your occurrence of locking, when the engine is still on, sounds a bit unusual to me. Maybe you accidentally pressed the remote button (in your pocket?) when walking away from the car or something like that?

Z

finbleu

szhosain Thanks for the reply and I will check to see if one or more of your theories are reason(s) for my lockout. The last won't work because the remote was attached to the key in the car but the first seems like a very plausable reason.

The manual is a little sparse in regard to door locking and since I seem to be just a sample of only one on this forum who has experienced an auto door locking event, it is either something I did (most likely) or a problem with the car (not very likely). Either way I appreciate your response.

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

That doesn't right. My coupe doesn't do that. I unlock the doors with keyfob and then start the car and then close the doors and go inside to let the car warm up a bit and when I come back out they are still unlocked.

Bluestreak
Car: Cars, fatherhood, baseball, music

I think both rydwhite and szhosain are right- and thanks. During the cold weather, I start the car and let it warm before dropping the kids at school on the way to work in the morning. I've been paranoid, though, because there have been times when I KNOW I've unlocked the car, but a little while later find it to be locked again (thought I was getting senile at 48). That has made me really nervous to leave the car running when I bring the kids into the school building, fearing I'll be locked out when I return. That has not happened. Thinking about it, the times it has re-locked have been when I unlocked it, usually in my driveway, but have not opened the door to get in. Next warm day when I feel like standing outside, I'll test it out.

szh

I just went and looked at a 2004 G35 Owner's Manual (should be the same as the 2003). On page 3-8, it states the following:

"All doors will be locked automatically unless one of the following operations is performed within 1 minute of pressing the UNLOCK button.
  • opening any door.
  • opening trunk lid.
  • turning the ignition switch to the ON position."

Looks like the G35 does the same thing as my M45! Of course, this still does not explain finbleu's original observation!

Z

Stu Segal
Car: G35 Coupe, Silver, Aero / '06 C6 6.0L

AHA!!!!!

So this explains why, after I've exited my car, hit the "unlock" button on the fob to unlock the gascap door, fueled the car - then returned to get in the car - it's been locked!!!

Of course, the fob is in my hand, so I'm not locked out - but it certainly has made me nervous that the car seemed to lock itself.

Mystery solved - thanks!

gthreefive
Car: cars/car collectibles/models all auto related materials

Last weekend when I cleaned my car I found the same experience...I unlocked the drivers door but did not open it ...as I was wiping down the side of the car I heard the door re-lock...I forgot that my I35 had this feature as well...I have never had my car lock with the keys in the ignition or while it was running, nor will my car lock when i start my car in motion like may VW'S Chryslers and such....

szh

gthreefive wrote:nor will my car lock when i start my car in motion like may VW'S Chryslers and such....

Most American cars do this! I find this particular "feature" a bit irritating. Sorta like like the automatic door-mounted seat belts some years ago. I religiously wear my seat belt and I find it kinda annoying that the manufacturers think we are idiots.

I once got clonked hard on the side of my head with the door seat-belt mechanism in a rental car, because I had the car ignition (stopped in Park in the rental car lot) and opened the door to lean out and say something to someone because the window would not roll down.

IMO, if someone is not wearing their seat belt and get into an accident and don't make it, then they are improving the gene pool.

Z

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”