Auto diff upgrade for someone NOT willing to lose cruise control

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
BamaCoupe
Car: Code Red A/C 3.5 CVT

Auto diff upgrade for someone NOT willing to lose cruise control

Postby BamaCoupe » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:16 pm

I've been a member at NICO for over ten years with my previous 2008 3.5 Altima Coupe I bought in June of 2008 and after 13 years of ownership I decided to go from the original owner of a poor mans G to the REAL G. I don't know if there is much action here, much like info for the Altima for so DUMB and I'll say DUMB again reason all the activity moved to a facebook group. Well I like forums and I don't want to hire a facebook interpreter... I lost my connection years ago because I'm not willing to do facebook and I don't get it's format. I'm not that old either... maybe now I am but then and now it doesn't make much since to me. I'm now forty.

All that to say I've done a lot of googling with no apparent answer, all somewhat close answers coming from "MyG37" and nothing deficient there. I want to upgrade my Differential but I'm not willing to do the G37 manual sport LSD and put 3.9 final gears from a frontier in it because I'm not willing to sacrifice cruse control. I've heard the Vert's have a 3.9 diff as well but I don't know if that the manual (the problem with using manual diff's is losing cruse control) or if it's all Vert's have the 3.9 gear, I know they weight about 300lbs heavier so maybe. I'm in a 7-speed Automatic or I would never own it, all my cars are a daily. Even My previous Altima coupe after thirteen years only had 80k. Why would I spitf through gears when a car will do it for me on an auto (I'll agrue with the other side on my previous CVT), I'm not a professional race car driver nor is 99% of the drivers out there so to make a manual faster you need to be a professional race car driver to be faster than an Auto. I'm sure I'm going to get the dogs barring on this but on my current stock setup 3.3 final gear, I want to lighten its step. Anyone left out there at NICO?

BamaCoupe
Car: Code Red A/C 3.5 CVT

Re: Auto diff upgrade for someone NOT willing to lose cruise control

Postby BamaCoupe » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:17 pm

I'm sorry I did type the OP drunk so I rambled a bit but come on...? Any answer to my main question, does a Vert's have the 3.9 diff? Do I need to join MyG37 to get answers?

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 72 240Z RB25, 63 Bluebird RHD, 63 NL320, 67 WRL411, 67 SPL311, 68 510 SR, 77 620 SR20, 89 Pao, 97 D21, 98 S14, 11 LS460L, 12 Titan 4x4.

Postby AZhitman » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:27 pm

Aside from the slight incoherence, I'm not sure why changing your differential would affect cruise control.

I'll have to do a little more research on the G37 convertible - but I believe that is correct that they have a 3.90 rear end ratio.

DFW2011M56S
Car: 2011 M56S

Postby DFW2011M56S » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:50 am

AZhitman wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:27 pm
Aside from the slight incoherence, I'm not sure why changing your differential would affect cruise control.

I'll have to do a little more research on the G37 convertible - but I believe that is correct that they have a 3.90 rear end ratio.
Changing the gear ratio will cause the cruise to stop working. The output speed sensor in the transmission and the wheel speed sensors will not agree with the gear change and confuse the system.

That being said my 07 G35 3.5HR/Automatic Sedan has a factory 3.91 rear gear. Same center section as a G37 since they are both V36 chassis. Its a fun gear with the 5spd auto but it spins 3,000 rpm @ 70 on the highway.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”