Auto belt tensioner or what else is there?

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
O5Q45
Car: 2005 Q45 Base sedan

Lately I’ve been hearing a metallic light grinding noise that follows the rpms.. did I read these motors have a known issue with one of the pulleys?

If you guys had to guess, what pulley would you guess to be the most likely? Has anyone paid to have it replaced and remember the cost?

EdBwoy

If one specific part was making noise before the others in the front end, then I'd put my money on the idler pulley.
I wouldn't call it an unexpected issue though, bearings wear with time. Pull the belts and inspect the pulleys to be sure it isn't something else in the engine bay.

Here's a thread on the approximate costs:
how-to-fix-squeaking-tensioner-pulley-t589191.html

Here are some links with video to help with the job:
post6762249.html#p6762249

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

As said, yank the belt and feel all pulleys and the one that doesn't spin or feel right is the bad one. May be the a/c clutch one as well.

O5Q45

I was under the impression I don’t have an a/c clutch as in other vehicles. The Infiniti dealer described a compressor as a slant v6, not as in the engine, but with a swash plate inside the compressor that adjusts based on the input from the sensors on the top of the dashboard giving the compressor info as to how much sunlight was coming into the car windows and telling it how hard to operate. He said this compressor spins on or off. At all times. I asked because sometime back I was concerned at the noises it created and was told that is what that type do.. I thought it odd of a compressor to spin all the time.. makes sense at the cost of them.. if that’s not the right info I was given, what is it that makes our compressors so different than others in effect more costly.. a little off topic but I will check those pulleys free spin-

EdBwoy

As I know it, you do have a clutch. Push the A/C button to hear it clicking on and off. The swash plate just varies the cooling/conditioning capacity of the compressor.

Please let us know what you see when you get to the task.

O5Q45

Sure will- I really appreciate the advice and replies. The entire community here hasn’t spoke to me in quite sometime..
I’m wondering what the best way to sell my Q is? I want another one.. I would love an 2006 with rear steer, perforated leather steering wheel, smoked sport lens on front and rear lamps, lane departure warning and hands free phone... would be awesome.. haven’t found one yet, ridiculous rare, 359 bought of the last year..

O5Q45

I checked out the video on changing and price, although my engine isn’t like that one at all, power steer container is different, coolant is one other side and so on, several differences.. wonder why? It’s still the VK45DE??

EdBwoy

Could you post a picture of your engine bay?

Apart from the videos of the engine on the stand/ hoist, you will be looking at a 2006 M45. The basics of the engine are the same.

EdBwoy

O5Q45 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:59 pm
... The entire community here hasn’t spoke to me in quite sometime..
I’m wondering what the best way to sell my Q is? I want another one...
I don't think it's anything personal. The Q forum isn't that big, plus they don't really have many issues; which means few postings.
Post your questions, and whoever sees it and can, will respond... and don't forget to come back and update on fixes. People notice that kind of stuff and it also affects the general perception of the forum.

Good luck finding an 06. How much are you looking to get for your 05?

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

O5Q45 wrote:
The entire community here hasn’t spoke to me in quite sometime.
I'm also sure it's nothing personal... The lack of response is probably more of a function of not having a ton of F50 experience to pull on due to the very small production numbers on your car. Activity is way down in the Q forum overall, as the last one imported was 12-13 years ago.

O5Q45

I really have no idea on what I would expect or get for the Q. Every time I attempt to use a service such as KBB or AutoTrader, the amount is so ridiculous it’s nauseating.. I think it’s because there isn’t really any meta data to pull from on the model.. the lack of knowledge and some parts alone makes it difficult to sell. The price has to be almost so low that it outweighs the fears of potential buyers on the things I mentioned. I just don’t understand why people wouldn’t like the car. I am asked almost daily what it is, and when they hear it’s age, they almost always say it looks new. I admit I wax and polish it inside and out every 3 months.. I even take it to the manual car wash and put it up on drive on blocks to spray under it to remove salt and grime. I would hope to get enough from it to purchase another or something I could stand.. I’d love to see 4800-

EdBwoy

EdBwoy wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:43 pm
O5Q45 wrote:
... The entire community here hasn’t spoke to me in quite sometime..
I don't think it's anything personal. The Q forum isn't that big, plus they don't really have many issues; which means few postings.
Post your questions, and whoever sees it and can, will respond... and don't forget to come back and update on fixes. People notice that kind of stuff and it also affects the general perception of the forum...

How did this end up Sir?

cbird805
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45
1995 Infiniti Q45 Base
(prev) 1994 Infiniti Q45 Base

Your dealer was referring to the type model of your ac compressor, it's a Calsonic V6. It's a fairly common Asian auto AC compressor model. If I recall correctly, both the 2nd(y33) and 3rd gen(F50) q45 used the Calsonic V6, where as the 1st gen q45 had a Calsonic V5. As far as the sqeaking sound, its hard to say without seeing hearing it for myself. it could be a power steering pump or cooling fan pump going bad. The VK45DE has a unusual hydraulic cooling fan system, which uses power steering fluid. But its separate system than the power steering, which is why you have two reservoirs for power steering fluid. They are next to each other, which confuses people. If the squeak is belt related, it's better if the idler pulley is bad, and not the tensioners. Taking the two belts off is simple, though-just need a 12mm socket wrench, 6mm allen, 14mm socket, breaker bar. DON'T mess with the hex bolts on the tensioners, the allen wrench is ONLY for holding the tensioner open (via the hole).

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”