Auto A/C for Defrostor settings

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
DriftQueen99
Car: Nissan Versa

Hello everyone!

I wanted to see if others who have a 2008 Nissan Versa also has this issue or if it's just how the car is set up. When I switch my climate controls to defrost it automatically illuminates and turns on the a/c even though I have it on heat. Is that normal for a Versa? Its not a huge issue but more of an inconvenience and waste of a/c energy.

2016 Versa
Car: 2016 Nissan Versa SV

I've noticed my 2016 doing the same thing part of the time, maybe all the time I'm not sure. If the a/c button light comes on I just reach over and turn it off.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Cars have been doing that for quite literally 50 years.

The a/c on with heater dehumidifies the air to prevent fogging up the glass.........it should go back off with defrost off but Nissans can be funny about that part.

If you cycle the a/c button to off and then pay careful attention, you can find the a/c still working even though the light is off and even sometimes with say panel vents blowing heat with defrost off. Why at some point I will add an a/c light simply for the clutch cycling, it also tells you when to add refrigerant. Done to all 3 of my Fords and very helpful.

2016 Versa
Car: 2016 Nissan Versa SV

amc49 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:13 pm
Cars have been doing that for quite literally 50 years.

The a/c on with heater dehumidifies the air to prevent fogging up the glass.........it should go back off with defrost off but Nissans can be funny about that part.

If you cycle the a/c button to off and then pay careful attention, you can find the a/c still working even though the light is off and even sometimes with say panel vents blowing heat with defrost off. Why at some point I will add an a/c light simply for the clutch cycling, it also tells you when to add refrigerant. Done to all 3 of my Fords and very helpful.
As I remember the a/c is on in my Ford's in every heating/cooling position except when it's blowing at the feet and when it's on the vent setting. I wasn't sure whether the a/c compressor was cycling or not if I turned the a/c switch off on the Nissan. I knew the windows weren't fogging up in cool damp weather so I suspected maybe the compressor was running even though the light wasn't on.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Some cars have a/c on at just defrost and some do both defrost and any other windshield setting, but they are normally off when windshield duct is not used. These Nissan though may not follow that. I somewhat freaked when I realized the a/c did not cut off at going to say panel vent only or floor only. But only when it was already on at windshield first. Cut the key off and the others go back to working right.........weird. A lot of others have complained about it too, wearing out a/c parts unnecessarily.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”