Audio Watts?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
denrama

We know that we have bose with 8 speakers in Premium package, but what is the combined watts?

denrama

Wow! it is a mystery. Nissan didn't publish the wattage and I cannot find this information anywhere online.

philipa_240sx

Nissan doesn't publish wattage for most if not any of it's audio systems. IMHO stereo wattage is a useless number unless the same test method is used... and we all know that nobody does that.

mikeslammer
Car: 2008 Rogue "S," Indigo Blue

A numerical value for wattage is useless?

Please clarify, for I am intrigued by this statement.

To answer the question, automotive stereos are generally around 280-320 watts, powered by internal amplifiers. The larger the number does not necessarily mean its better quality, however. My buddy has a 1200 watt system in his Dodge, and it sounds terrible. Mostly because its all in the subs...

Mainiac
Car: - '08 Rogue SL AWD
+ '11 Rogue SL awd

I'd have to agree, it's a totally pointless, beyond bragging.

The stereo is loud enough to do it's job, that's all that matters.

I'd rather have a "60 watt" system that sounds good than a "1200 watt" system that doesn't. Do I need to know how many watts to know if it sounds good? no.

Then again, I'm not looking to impress anyone with numbers or volume.

philipa_240sx

mikeslammer wrote:A numerical value for wattage is useless?

Please clarify, for I am intrigued by this statement.
First off, my backround is electronics engineering technology. I have quite an interest in anything electrical and audio realted.

Test methods to determine audio power ratings are not the same between mfg's. In many cases the published wattage figures are done using the most favorable test method conceivable and is usually expressed in 'peak watts'. Any amplifier can produce 2-3 times it's normal power by overdriving it and recording the millisecond of peak power it produces... and all the heavy audio distortion that goes with it.

The correct way to measure audio amplifier power is RMS watts with the frequency the test was performed at and amount of distortion at that power rating. These ratings are rare to find, usually only higher end home audio, or some older 'vintage' equipment have them.

mikeslammer
Car: 2008 Rogue "S," Indigo Blue

philipa_240sx wrote:
First off, my backround is electronics engineering technology. I have quite an interest in anything electrical and audio realted.

Test methods to determine audio power ratings are not the same between mfg's. In many cases the published wattage figures are done using the most favorable test method conceivable and is usually expressed in 'peak watts'. Any amplifier can produce 2-3 times it's normal power by overdriving it and recording the millisecond of peak power it produces... and all the heavy audio distortion that goes with it.

The correct way to measure audio amplifier power is RMS watts with the frequency the test was performed at and amount of distortion at that power rating. These ratings are rare to find, usually only higher end home audio, or some older 'vintage' equipment have them.
Ooooo I see. I'm a musician/audio engineer. Watts mean a different thing for me and there's a huge difference between 50 and 70 watts when it comes to a guitar amplifier. Granted, we're talking two different aspects of audio, but the idea remains the same.

I do not contest your statement, as I said, I was intrigued by it.

Unless you're an audiophile, watts don't really mean all that much. But if you are, well, stock systems just don't cut it.

MagicM
Car: 2007 Black/alu trim /black interior M35x 2005 Range Rover HSE 2000 Range Rover p38 4.0SE

8 Speaker Bose on the rouge is combined 180 Watt total, and then it gradually increase as you go higher into the Nissan model range. 220/watt for Pathfinder/Murano and 265/watt for Armada. The base bose system in infiniti is 234 Watt, and 308 for the premium surround.

akshaydewan

I replaced my stock speakers and found out that the speakers are 0.2 ohms 20 watt speakers. So that gives it total 80. I would say the system is about 100 watt. But for sure not more than that coz my new speakers are 300watt and dont respond to bass.

SquiggyFreud

was that the bose system??.2 ohms yikes, I had been wanting to know what the impedance on the bose speakers were in case I wanted to swap them out

mx6bfast
Car: 08 Rogue SL FWD

What is the max volume that ya'll have used? I've put mine up in the 20's quite a few times and didn't know if I was taxing the speakers at that low number.

edit: typo
Modified by mx6bfast at 10:44 AM 12/23/2008

Goblin
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium Pkg.

I don't know that Bose post watts so to speak. Also, I didn't know there were 8 speakers? You have 2 in the dash, 1 in each door, and a sub with the bose system. The center speaker is for blue-tooth communications or so I thought.

Go for clean, see my post on the Bose modification. Have a great day.

Return to “Rogue Forum”