Audio - Playing CD-Rs in the G37 Convertble...

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
DaviddelWA
Car: 2009 G37 Convertible, black on black

I picked my G37 on 11/30. I placed a CD-R of my own into the upgraded G37 system. I noticed that it does NOT read the file information instead labeling songs "Track 1", etc. I had to bring my G back for some additional add-ons (not warranty ) and had a G35X as a loaner. When I inserted the same CD-R, it displayed everything including song titles, artist, etc. When I went to get my G back last night, we tried the CD R in another convertible and it too does not read the song information stored on the CD that other Infiniti, Hondas and Audis I tried it in did. Even my deal was surprised they would downgrade the CD player. Anyone else see this? Is there a solution? Thanks!

bschurr
Car: 2009 G37S 6MT Conv

DaviddelWA wrote:I picked my G37 on 11/30. I placed a CD-R of my own into the upgraded G37 system. I noticed that it does NOT read the file information instead labeling songs "Track 1", etc. I had to bring my G back for some additional add-ons (not warranty ) and had a G35X as a loaner. When I inserted the same CD-R, it displayed everything including song titles, artist, etc. When I went to get my G back last night, we tried the CD R in another convertible and it too does not read the song information stored on the CD that other Infiniti, Hondas and Audis I tried it in did. Even my deal was surprised they would downgrade the CD player. Anyone else see this? Is there a solution? Thanks!
I expereinced the same thing. If you burn the CD to the HD and then use Gracenote to perform the title info search function through the CF slot you are good to go but what a pain in the @ss!

DaviddelWA

I did some investigation work on this. The Gracenote database is the problem. They intentionally do not let you access the data. It is the reason why it is a problem across Nissan and Infniti lines. The short answer is that you can burn a CD and then ADD the CD to the Gracenote database online. That requires you to have an XM license to get new updates from Gracenote by the way. And it can take up to 48 hours for your CD to show up. I will try this during the week and let you know. What a bad feature.

DaviddelWA

So for all you folks who have the same problem I do.. and this should work for Nissans too... the Gracenote database in the car does NOT use XM signal to get updates. Which means that new CDs will still not be recognized. I burned a CD on my PC, posted it to the Gracenote database no problems. While the info was there (gave the disk to a friend and it read the information no problem on his PC) on the G37 Audio, Gracenote still does not recognize it.

Easist solution is this: DO NOT USE the internal hard drive. Instead, when I create my own CDs, I write to the hard drive on my computer, creating a subdirectory with the name of album. Keep all your custom CDs in the same master directory (MY MUSIC\Custom CDs\<album name> as one example. Then point iTunes or Zune to the My Music\Custom CDs directory and it will find the new music as you create it. Load it to your MP3 player and all the information, including songs, artists, etc. is there. In addition, you can use this to build custom dance mix CDs without the 1 second skip the Music Box causes - both iPod and Zunes will recognize the non-stop nature of dance music and play perfect without missing a beat. This saves you wasting a CD as well as all the time to write down the names of the music, artists, etc and export a DAT file, etc.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, but this is the fastest and easiest way to enjoy your own music without being limited by Gracenote.

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”