ATV hauling in new Frontier Short or Long Bed?

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Duggins1
Car: 2003 G35

Is anyone hauling a full sized ATV in a new 06/07 Frontier with either the short or long bed? If so, how and recommendations. I'm getting ready to purchase (truck & ATV) and don't want to make a mistake. I don't want to use a trailor.Thanks, Duggins1

Big-Bird
Car: 2000 Xterra on 'Roids & 2004 Quest SL

Personally I would go for a long box model. This will give you a bit extra room for things like ramps, which you'll need anyway. And if you decide to get storage bins for your quad you will welcome the extra room a long box will offer. I tend to have a preference of not having a quad sitting on a tail gate or at the very least having as little weight on the TG as possible to prevent damage to the gate's pivot points and supports.

A long box will also ride a bit nicer because the wheel base is 14" longer.

CREW CAB DIMENSIONS IN INCHES

Wheelbase (Short Bed) 125.9 Wheelbase (Long Bed) 139.9

Overall length (Short Bed) 205.5 Overall length (Long Bed) 219.4 Cargo bed (Short Bed) Length 59.5 Width 61.4 Depth 18.0

Cargo bed (Long Bed)Length 73.3Width 61.4Depth 18.0

How big is the quad you want to buy? Take these dimesions with you and go from there.

Duggins1

Thanks, for the reply. I'm looking for someone that is presently haulin' and how they handle the wheel wells & tiedowns Vs bed lengths.Duggins1

hsckris
Car: 07 V8 4runner

there was a guy on another forum (with a long bed) hauling atvs regularly.he ended up causing his shocks to fail after ~1-2 years of steady hauling.

if you plan to haul a lot of weight consistently i'd recommend adding a leaf to the rear or adding firestone air springs.

Duggins1

Thanks for the info. I'm an infrequent user of the forum.

Is there a way to direct me to the 'other' forum so I can ask this guy some specific questions about how he deals with loading (type ramps best).

And, how he secures the unit to keep it off the wheel wells and from getting too close to the cab of the truck.

The ATV is 700 pounds, 94" long, 47" wide with a 59" wheel base. The '07 Nissan LE is 44.4" between the wheel wells.

Duggins1

Duggins1

Thanks, for the specs. I have the books on Frontier and Tacoma. The Frontier seems a little larger in the bed. The '06 4X4 Frontier that I drove seemed a somewhat dead in the steering and heavy as compaired to my 04 F150 which out weighs it considerably. The brakes aren't as good feeling as the F150 either.

I've not yet driven a Tacoma 4X4. Toy has drum brakes on the rear!!! Unless you order an option package? I'm leaning to an '08 Frontier LE with long bed. Toy comes with skid plates and the LE doesn't and they aren't listed as an option?

I've read that there are a couple of new packages for the Frontier '08. I hope one is to be able to upgrade the radio WITH OUT a sun roof.Duggins1

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”