Attn: Military Personnel in Japan

Including Japan, Australia, Canada, and others.
Barkhorn

Attn: Military Personnel in Japan

Postby Barkhorn » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:57 pm

Been to these forums to browse around a little and finding some great info =)

This may seem like a long shot but its a dream of mine to go to Japan. Ive been working hard to join the USAF which I will be starting BMT April 10th, 2012. Currently I am going in under Open Mechanical. I hope to get a good career that will allow me to be stationed in Japan.

My question from here now is if... I do make it, are there regulations as to what car u may purchase or drive while stationed say... at yokota/misawa?
(Saving for a Skyline R34 currently, if not a new GTR)

One more question, If I happen to like it there are there any options to possibly remain in japan after my time in service? It seems like a few people from these forums are remaining in japan for long periods. I'm just curious as to how o.O

Thanks for reading, hoping to get some good answers =)

speedeast
Car: 1990 240sx VH45 FB & 1993 300zx

Re: Attn: Military Personnel in Japan

Postby speedeast » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:12 pm

You can drive whatever you want. R34 can't come back to the states with you though... unfortunately. When you're done, you can take a civilian job in Japan for the USAF if you want. They are cutting a lot of civilian positions unfortunately.

Barkhorn

Postby Barkhorn » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:33 pm

Thanks for the quick response! Yea its a sad story for the R34 =( The idea of getting a civilian job on base sounds nice though, yet its a shame they are reducing their employment =(

By the way your build is pretty amazing. Nice work it looks great.

speedeast
Car: 1990 240sx VH45 FB & 1993 300zx

Postby speedeast » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:05 pm

Gold Digger
Car: (Previous) 1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple

Postby Gold Digger » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:37 pm

Well, I don't know about the USAF, but when I was stationed in Yokosuka with the Navy from 98-01, unmarried E4 and below could not own a car in Japan. Only E5 and above or E4 and below if married and the command approves a request for car ownership.

But, that was 10-13 years ago, so it may be different now.

But, there is no limit to what you can own as long as you can pay for the associated costs with car ownership in Japan. It's not cheap, especially if you own a car like a GT-R.

Tax classes for cars fall under several different categories. Overall car size, engine displacement, weight, etc. Plus, you have to have a place to park before you can buy a car if you live off base.

Not trying to discourage you, just trying to give you a heads up on what to expect should you get orders here.

Now, as for the bases...Yokota is more central Japan so weather is decent. Hot and humid summers and mild winters.

Misawa on the other hand is up on the north end of Honshu island in Japan (the biggest of the 4 main islands of Japan) and they have some pretty harsh winters up there.

Return to “International Region”