ATTN: Convertible owners with tonneau retention strip!

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
Lord Umoja
Car: 1993 240SX 'Vert

I'm looking for someone who still has the "ziplock" retention strip on thier car where the tonneau attaches behind the seats. I need a few photos of how it mounts and its cross section. I am in the process of designing a replacement since the part is no longer available. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Just so you don't think this is some wild goose chase, I am an engineer who uses CAD and a 3D printer on a daily basis. My plan is to develop a 3D CAD model of the part, 3D print a test part, and then seek out a company to produce custom extrusions.

o0Syn
Car: 92 Nissan 240SX Convertible

Pic of what you are looking for?

blkvrtswp
Car: 93 240SX Convertible
SR20DET FP 20G Turbo

looking-for-vert-boot-cover-retainer-st ... 01193.html

I found a used one, they are very fragile. I had to do some Crazy Glue repairs.

The bottom is shaped like a U, and it just jams on the lip at the top of the back seat. I used some trim / emblem glue on it but still worry that it will crack or pop off. Hard to trust it at high speeds.... looks killer though!

You make a good one and I'll buy it!

Lord Umoja

So an update for everyone...

I placed a call to ASC, the original modifiers of our cars. The part is no longer in production and the original manufacturer has since gone out of business. They did however send me the original prints for the part but they are lacking all dimensions, which makes me think this is related to another part but I have no confirmation of that.

In the end, it does not look like these will be easy to make available for purchase any more. With the original manufacturer out of business, my hopes of purchasing the extrusion dies are not going to work, and the lack of dimensions on the prints makes me very unwilling to even request a quote on new tooling.

That being said....I am working on an all new design that will retrofit onto the car. I will update when I have more information.

Lord Umoja

Ran a test with my new 3D printed versions of the retainer today. I had 2 sections less than 3" wide set so the inside edge of the part was touching seam on the center of the rear seat. I then attached the tonneau normally, with the new 3D printed retainers.

The tonneau stayed firmly attached up to 80mph even when passing semi trucks. I'd call it a success. I'll post more info when the final versions are printed and installed.

o0Syn
Car: 92 Nissan 240SX Convertible

Excited to see this! Unfortunately I dropped money on a boot but hell they sell pretty easy!

jbracy7
Car: 94 GTS TYPE-M in a dozen pieces

Updates please

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

Surprised this fell off my radar. Glad to see you got something working! Did my measurements help you out?

Lord Umoja

Sorry for the MAJOR lack of updates. In October of last year the car had a massive fuel delivery failure and was parked. I've recently remedied the issue and that's why I haven't been posting.

ANYWAY....

Hijacker, the measurements worked great. I've developed a working set of replacement tonneau strips. They print out to about 2"-3" long each. 2 hold the tonneau in place up to 80mph but I'm running 5 right now.

I'll edit this with photos in a bit.

I do have one set of 4 I printed up in glow in the dark blue (white in the daylight) that I would be willing to part with if someone PMs me and is willing to review them here. Hijacker again gets the first dibs though. Then first come first served.

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”