Att Canadians: Rogue Vs. Used X-trail

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
philipa_240sx

For those Canadians here...

Since we were fortunate enough to have the '05-06 Nissan X-Trail CUV in Canada prior to the Rogue, I was curious if anybody here has cross shopped the two? What were your comments? Which would you buy and why?

Looks aside, the X-Trail shared similar specs albeit in a more boxy package:- 2.5l 4cyl- 4spd auto- AWD with lock mode or FWD

There were a few interesting options the Rogue does not have:

- 5spd manual trans- Navigation system on '06 SE and LE models.- Single zone auto climate control on top of the line '06 AWD LE model

Photos Courtesy of Nissan Canada (click for larger photos):

http://www.news-nouvelles.niss...r.jpghttp://www.news-nouvelles.niss...r.jpghttp://www.news-nouvelles.niss...r.jpgComments???

Modified by philipa_240sx at 8:09 AM 2/26/2008
Modified by philipa_240sx at 8:11 AM 2/26/2008

philipa_240sx

Well I answered my own question. I went shopping today looking at used Nissan X-Trails. Since I do not have the cash to buy outright, I have to finance my purchase (loan). This is where the problem lies:

Finance rates that Nissan Canada or even the local bank offers are much higher than the current 'discounted rate' offered on a Rogue here in Canada. This negates much of the price advantage of buying a used vehicle. Looking at comparative monthly rates: it was a matter of $32/month payment difference between a used X-Trail AWD and a new Rogue SL FWD. Even though the X-trail has AWD going for it, the Rogue was the better offer as it was new and shiny ;-)

Needless to say the salesperson agreed and I made a deal.... on a '08 Rogue SL. Color has yet to be determined as they are looking for my 1st choice Ultramarine Blue or Iridium Graphite. Stay tuned. :-)

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Hey, I had the exact same idea about the X-Trail, and did the same comparison as you did. I just can't believe how much they are asking for used vehicles like this. It seems to apply to all similar vehicles like the RAV4 and CRV too. If it the same cost to purchase a new Rogue at the reduced financing, how can they ever sell a slightly used X-Trail? I can't figure it out. I would've considered buying the X-Trail because although it's boxy/ugly looking, it does have nice features and I think the cargo area is more functional. Anyway, I'll be going the same route as you and buy a Rogue in the spring, but if I could save money by buying an X-Trail I would. I don't understand it......

philipa_240sx

I hear you. Black book used values for X-Trails range from $16-19K. Blackbook values are what dealers would pay for trade-in vehicles. Meanwhile street prices for X-Trails are well into the 20K range. In this particular case, it was 2006 with fairly high mileage... 72,000km selling for $21,900. That's alot of $$$

Anyway, I think I came away in decent shape. The dealer is taking my '03 Alty with 210,000km as a trade. They are paying off the remaining 6mos on my loan with NO penalty AND giving me a discount off MSRP on a Rogue SL. Bottom line: I get out of my Alty into the new Rogue for the same monthly payment.

Return to “Rogue Forum”