ATI - gave me good service on warranty claim "Edit: Plus extra probs"

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

This morning I called ATI asking for a new JackShaft assembly for my ATI cuz the bearing in the old ones were busted.

Belts were tightend exatly IAW with the manual from ATI, but some experienced folks say say that can be too tight and this is suspected as a cause IMO.In any case, they covered it w/o hassle and were gonna give me 2 day delivery and i payed a little extra for overnight delivery to altered atmosphere ( that place is in middle of nowwhere ,but large+ nice).

Hopefully tomorrow or day after I can get that done (my power is currently unaffected just increased nose from poor bearings.)

Props!

Fred..

jEzTeR
Car: 07 FX35 - 02 Altima 3.5se - 93 240sx Hatch

Updates?

NISTECH

Fred that is good to hear buddy, congrats!!

PalmerWMD

Alas my troubles are not over..

After installing the new jackshaft assembly, at altered atmsopheres I had to go to kentucky the next day.

On the trip down ,my car started bogging in a weird way and lose power..

I called AA they told me the kit could do that in very high humidity condtions, and to just shut off engine for ECU to reset itself so I could get out of the limp home mode I was likely in..I followed this advice a couple of times to no avail..

A call to RNissan, informed me, you cant re-set the ecu like that and if I was in limp home home a check engine light would show ( which wasnt showing).

In the meantime it got worse and worse, but I was on a <tight> schedule and kept driving.

Finally I stopped for a break and had a look see under the hood, A bolt had not been tightened enough by AA had worked itself loose and I was drawing in air up near the TB instead of the filter..

aargh..

So I bought a adjustable wrench ( an adventure in itself) and fixed it.

So I am finally on my way,.. pleased it got fixed albeit a bit peeved at AA..

Later during the trip one of my SC belts broke partially and i couldnt drive sicne it was hitting my electrical harness..

SO I was stranded for a couple hrs until I flagged down someone who was willing in the middle of the night to hand a knife to a large stranger, so I could cut the remaining belt off and keep driving..

After running some errands I went to my origianal instatller here in KY (RTC) who determined that the key to the jackshaft assembly fit poorly and as a result cuased the pulley to wobble and that broke the (expensive belt).

We went and ordered overnight a new belt and he got a new key froma local warehosue that fit.

Next morning as we were waiting for the part I figured, what the hey, lets just add some aftermarket stuff and got a airflow control plate put on to help the non stock airflow (interupted by intercooler) to be mnore effective.

Looks neat made by Greddy ..

Also got a short shift kit installed..

In the end when everything was assembled it still wobbled and I knew it would break my ( expensive) belt again.

So Dan and I tried to check the pulley figuring maybe it was damaged and itself may be uneven.

After spending some money at the machine shop we got it to be more perfectly even.

Alas on installation it was still wobbly, so somehting else is cause.

Took off all SC belts am running N/A now on stock fuel maps, albeit with some significant restriction due to idle SC compressor in airflow.

To top matters off, my airflow control plate buzzes a LOT, especially of 4000 rpm and my short shift kit makes a funny grinding noise.....

Fred...

NISTECH

jEzTeR
Car: 07 FX35 - 02 Altima 3.5se - 93 240sx Hatch

Man that sucks! What are your next steps to fixing the problem?

PalmerWMD

I have an appt on Wednesday at 4 pm at AA.

When I explained the total story to one of their service advisors he asked to call me back , when he did he said they will find a way to take care of it even if ATI wont send usa anotehr jackshaftassembly under warranty ( since they just did and nbow its messed up)

THey said they will pretty much fix it with no cost in parts or labor (if it looks to be their fault) and little cost if its unclear.

nsrZ32
Car: 90 300ZX TT, 78 280Z, 71 521 Pickup, 98 Sentra 2.0 SE, 02 Altima 3.5 SE, 01 Focus s2

Hey Fred, might want to watch out for altered atm....there are more horror stories about them than I care to type up. Feel free to hit me up for more info.

Best of luck with your Z.

PalmerWMD

Well, finally the parts are in.excpet the keys..ATI did a genrous warranty coverage giving me another jackshaft assmebly ( last one messed up due to reuse of old key which didnt fit well as they hadnt included new key with that new assembly before).

They also gave me one new belt free and the back idler pulley..

But.. they forgot to pack anotehr set of keys..: so cant get it done today, likely tomorrow.

Fred..

Altiman94
Car: Paintball, cars, outdoor sports

I'm glad to see that the shop honored it's work, it's always great to hear stories about good business.

Florida240sx
Car: 93 Hatch 5spd
2012 altima coupe 2.5s

Sorry to heard about the bad luck but eventually I know it will be running like it should and you'll be grinning ear to ear.

350zQ45a
Car: 350Z, Q45A

This is why I'm holding out for the GTR. FI power OEM.

Something always goes wrong when getting into modding.

Fenvy
Car: 2005 350Z Base 6MT

what's ati?

to me it's video card brand

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

Supercharget kid MFr..but yes, loveless...what I first saw this thread I was like "video card warranty? whats wrong with his radeon?"

-Chet

ZeeOne
Car: 350Z

I have (or should I say had) an ATI Procharger, myself. The good thing about an SC is that once the cog belt is removed it runs stock. Had to use that workaround, once when the FMU went bad, and a couple more times after that.

Mine should be for sale soon, when I switch to TTs

G

PalmerWMD

Running smooth right now..

Still feel a centrifugal is easier on the engine that a ST or TT, BUT, I definetly relate tothe need for speed..

Sometime I wished I gone with the ST instead as this gives a bit of a performance edge over an equivalent SC..Every little bit helps

ZeeOne

I am glad the you were able to resolve your issue, PalmerWMD

The VQ35 were not really built for heavy loads, to begin with; sleeves & heads were designed with emissions and die casting, as the priorities; marginal rods ($35 each) and cams. The block itself has great potential, once the weak links are rebuilt.

TT/ST tend to produce more torque than SC; which places a tremendous load on the marginal components. But, the key is minimizing boost, whether one is going Turbo of Supercharger. Engine management is lacking on the SC/s, but I hear that Vortech has a more reliable management system.

I am not too favorable of the band-aid patch for the fuel delivery, adopted by both Vortech and ATI. The minimum modification one needs to perform is increase the injector size and replace the inline fuel pump with a main pump to handle the additional load of higher boost.

I had my ATI for 30,000 miles before I cracked a sleeve and blew a gasket. The other problem, that I noticed with my Procharger were the cog belt pulleys, which suffered premature wear; to both pulley and cog belts. Don’t get me wrong, overall the compressor is well built and effective; looks good too.

I had my zee dynoed at 401 whp with 350 ft/lb torque, ati procharger; nismo headers; test pipes, Injen true duel, straight tip exhaust system.

For street use, it had a great jet whine and more than capable in taking on the porsches, BMWs and vettes....seriously.

G

PalmerWMD

Zone:

What was your exact set-up when you had your engien damge ( fuel timing etc)..

Fred..

ZeeOne

That was my exact set-up Fred. My FMU went bad after 1000 miles and ATI replaced my FMU with a new system. However, instead of reinstalling the FMU, I increased the size of my injectors to the PE 380cc, added a fuel pressure regulator and replaced my stock pump to a Walboro. My wideband H2 sensors register a constant A/F reading between 10 to 11 at maximum loads.

The day it happened, I was experiencing high boost, dry & cold weather conditions, and the first time I was using a particular brand of gas in the Poconos. That was the first time in 29, 000 miles that I ever used that particular brand of gas, it could be coincidental but who is to say……..

G

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”