AT doesn't shift gears

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
Nikita300zx
Car: long 300zx z32 with vg30det from cima and auto transmission

Hello guys, First of all, let me introduce you mine z32:
https://imgur.com/a/UDMWaJS

I swaped VG30DET from Cima in my z32 6 years ago. It was non turbo block with turbo with z32 ecu and 1jz-gte injectors. I was 20 years old, it was ugly, but it worked. This summer engine died.

I bought 35 000 miles VG30DET from japan yahoo with its original ECU, MAF and harness (it's on the photo higher).

I almost finished with engine. It works stable, good starting. But there are some problems.

Well, The first questions I wanted to ask are:

1. AT doesn't shift gears.
I realised circuit just like in the manual. (I can work with it).
Self diagnosis of AT shows next errors: 1 and 9.

1. Revolution sensor circuit is short cutted or disconected. My question is what does this sensor do, how it works, what it shows to AT ECU?
2. Engine revolution signal curcuit is short cutted or disconected. My question is: Am I right that this is tachometer signal??? I made line from ECU pin 7 to tachometer and also line from ECU pin 7 to 24 pin of AT ECU. So this circuit is OKAY, but I don't understand why it show the 9th error code.

BTW - Tachometer is working! Speed sensor is working, Idle switch position circuit is okay (but shows 3V instead of 8-15V at 14 pin of AT ECU). Also, kick-down signal is okay, throttle sensor signal is okay, overdrive signal is okay, inhibitor signals are okay.

Do you have any ideas?? I appreciate any help

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

Welcome to NICO Nikita. There is a wealth of information here and a few members that know the ATs, I am however not one of those so you'll have to wait for someone with a bit more knowledge on the subject to pop in.

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

If it is calling out the revolution sensor, then it is either disconnected or broken. The revolution sensor is NOT the speed sensor. It counts the revolutions of the main drive shaft of the trans. I'd start with checking the connections and reading the wires. The diagnostic won't diagnose a failing item, only a total 100% failure of the sensor or a missing connection.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Actually, anything that reads the output driveshaft SHOULD be the speed sensor. There are often two on ATX nowadays, input speed sensor (to measure convertor clutch slip and lock) and output speed which tells ECM how fast car is going. Both are compared to each other to determine correct slip or not as needed. Output sensor is used to verify the correct ATX gear, and load as well when compared to the TPS output and MAF airflow. Missing speed sensor input can easily make for no shifts as the ECM then has no idea of where to do them as well as how hard to make the shifts, they get made harder with higher loads, again not able to be figured with no sensor output.

Nikita300zx
Car: long 300zx z32 with vg30det from cima and auto transmission

Thank you, guys, appreciate your help and responsiveness.

Today I checked as sensor itself (there should be 500 ohm betwen 2 terminals) as circuit and found that there is a little silicone in the connector and it moved from its place and because of this peace terminals were not connected. I pulled out this pease of silicone and errors are gone. Also I drove the car and finally AT DOES SHIFT GEARS and it is sooo softly. Very good day.

The only one problem still exists. Cima's VG30DET has low resistanse injectors (3 Ohm per every injector). I 100% know that there are dropping resistors for injectors in cima/cedric/gloria. But can't find size of original dropping resistor. What I did - I bought 10 watt 6 Ohm resistors and place them in every injector line. Previously AFR was very rich with black exhaust. After placing resistors the exhaust became transparent and I guess it works almost correctly. Unfortunately I don't have wideband AEM o2 sensor and don't know the rate of AFR. The question is: does any body know resistance size of the dropping resistors?

She's almost ready to go: https://imgur.com/a/qhWTquc
https://imgur.com/a/23UPWxW

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

amc49 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:37 am
Actually, anything that reads the output driveshaft SHOULD be the speed sensor. There are often two on ATX nowadays, input speed sensor (to measure convertor clutch slip and lock) and output speed which tells ECM how fast car is going. Both are compared to each other to determine correct slip or not as needed.
That's what I was trying to say. Main input shaft speed sensor. Don't drink and NICO, lol.

As far as the resistors, that'd probably be a better question for the Cima guys. I'm not sure what the pulldown resistor should be for that, as the Z32 doesn't have them.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”