As Seen on TV: The Windshield Wonder!

From wax to washes, the Detailing Forum should be used for questions and ideas concerning exterior and interior cleaning and appearance
Nissan Sport Editor
Car: 2005 Infiniti G35x, 2008 Infiniti EX35

I just got one of these in the mail to test for the magazine. The kit includes a 16 inch "Windshield Wonder Handle," two microfiber bonnets, and a spray bottle. It supposedly "makes cleaning windshields fast & easy." I know readers are on the edge of their seats to find out if such an amazing product works as advertised on infomercials....

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

Hopefully they made it in Germany like the Shamwow so you know it must be good.

Nissan Sport Editor
Car: 2005 Infiniti G35x, 2008 Infiniti EX35

Made in China, actually. Now start the drumroll....

We just completed the first of a series of exhaustive comparo tests on the Windshield Wonder (As seen on TV!). Okay, just one test. One half of the front windshield cleaned with Windex and a paper towel, the other half with the aforementioned WW. And I'll be damned. It actually works. And it was better by a touch than our Windex control (which can't be used on most tint to boot). I never thought I'd say this, but we can recommend the Windshield Wonder despite its cheesy advertising campaign.

That said, we also tested some other inexpensive products for the car and found another that made a giant sucking sound it sucked so bad. We'll have results of all of our tests in our upcoming Issue #12 releasing in mid August.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

I've got to suggest a lint free towel or cloth instead of a paper towel.

Although having a handle on a lint free pad is a great idea for soccer moms and works in lue of juniors clothes and its inevitable smears when outside humidity is high. I personally wonder about the ergonomic properties of the handle when it comes to removing streaks and moisture buildup.

Since the target market for this product is not the professional detailer I think cleaning ability may actually be a secondary purpose. Although with the right combination of mild cleaner it could be a handy tool for us lazy people who like a clean windshield.

I bought a Shamwow and wanted to replace my lamb skin chamois with it. After several washes in differing levels of light, temperature and wear on both products. The lamb skin chamois lost a majority of its water absorbency capabilities after an attempt was made to clean some residual dirt but still it cleans better than the ShamWow. The ShamWow had mediocre absorbency characteristics and left small water spots, and has a fairly course structure. I also tried the Absorber and it works with characteristics of both fairly well, although that test was performed on a light colored vehicle. Nothing beats natural.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Gonna have to disagree with Steve here for once.

Try doing a good job cleaning, say, a G35 Coupe windshield and rear window with your hand. I guarantee failure. In fact, you could break an arm doing the rear window.

NOTE: I am neither a soccer mom, nor an invalid.

As far as the "Scam-WOW", I'd put my "Absorber" up against it ANY DAY. That thing is a POS. I bought a bundle of them, and they're useless. Even after several wet/dry cycles, they don't absorb any better than a towel, and The Absorber destroys them both. The Absorber replaced my $45 natural chamois, and it doesn't require any care to maintain.

My Absorber is 8 years old, looks new, and functions amazingly. (And costs $10)

Back to the Windshield Wonder: DO WANT.

Hey Moto, hook a fellow auto journalist up!

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

BTW - Moto... The "Windex on tint" issue is a myth.

That came from the old ammonia-based window cleaners, which would dissolve tint adhesive. Modern tints use superior adhesives, and most window cleaners don't contain ammonia.

I recommend the clear window cleaning solutions, such as Invisible Glass.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

AZhitman wrote:Gonna have to disagree with Steve here for once.
I don't think we are actually disagreeing per say. I say try a section of newspaper or something similar to clean the window, instead of paper towel. There is nothing wrong with putting stuff on a handle I am skeptical of the quality of this device. They have the cost per unit down to pennies I assume.

Stuff on sticks is great.

dmuramoto
Car: 350Z street, 350Z GT3 and T3 racecars, Versa HB and Infiniti G37xS sedan

AZhitman wrote:Back to the Windshield Wonder: DO WANT.

Hey Moto, hook a fellow auto journalist up!
Sorry, but you'll have to check with Bex about this product. I haven't even sampled it...

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

AZhitman wrote:BTW - Moto... The "Windex on tint" issue is a myth.

That came from the old ammonia-based window cleaners, which would dissolve tint adhesive. Modern tints use superior adhesives, and most window cleaners don't contain ammonia.

I recommend the clear window cleaning solutions, such as Invisible Glass.
The ammonia-based cleaners would turn older tint blue or purple. Never seen it cause a problem with the adhesive but that's probably an issue as well.

I agree with the issue of cleaning a G's windows. My front windshield had that white haze on the inside and the solution was a breeze: I took it to a car wash and let THEM clean it for me while I sat around yapping with other customers

Return to “Detailing Forum”