Armada Roof Vibrations/Ear Pressure

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
Sergey

Test drove two armadas today. Both had resonating roofs, the roofs created low frequency vibrating noise. The vibrations were changing cabine pressure that a few people riding with me claimed to feel. Sun visors were shaking and trembling because of vibrations. A quality I would never expect from Nissan.

Has anyone seen this problem? Any update from Nissan on why it is happening and how to fix?

Thanks

NISTECH

I havent heard of it or experianced it while I have been driving them. I have driven 15 to 20 of them to date. but not on extended drives. give me some more details and I will try to recreate it in one on a longer drive. Like how fast you were going and what type of road you were on, the weather conditions at the time( windy,calm,raining) engine rpm, approximate added wieght to the vehicle( passenger and cargo) towing anything by chance,My service manager has been driving one as a demo and he hasent stated any conditions as you mention. so any and all info would be helpful.

Sergey

NISTECH wrote:give me some more details and I will try to recreate it in one on a longer drive.
It is really strange, some people swear to easily feel this problem some just do not hear any noise and do not feel ear pressure.

Here is how it happened to me.I was taking a test drive at a dealership. Three people were in an empty unloaded LE with no sunroof and with closed windows. As soon as we reached 30mph, the roof started to resonate, judging by the characteristic noise coming from it. One of the sun visors was visible shaking, although it was properly attached. The resonating low frequence vibrating sound was clearly heard, I would estimate the frequency as 2-4 beats/vibrations per second at 35-40mph. I guess these vibrations were changing the pressure in the cabine, because we immediatelly felt discomfort in the ears and some headache. The dealer said they never heard of this problem.

We were on a smooth straight stretch of road. We took a few other SUVs (not Armadas) to test drive on the same exact stretch of road just to make sure we are not imagining anything. These other SUVs were rock solid and quite.

You can find more info from a message posted by someone in Edmunds.com boards, scroll to message #1015 in this thread:http://townhall-talk.edmunds.c.../1014

Here is that text:Quote »I bought my SE 4x4 and heard the booming resonance after the first 45 minute freeway drive. It felt like there was pressure building in the cabin. It actually hurt my ears and gave me a headache. From what I have read, it sounds like my experience was worse than most.

After three days of driving the Armada, I returned it to the dealer and said that I could not drive this vehicle any longer. They had a service tech ride with me in the vehicle and after 15 minutes he confirmed that noise level and "pressure feeling" created in the cabin was not acceptable.

Nissan advised the dealer that the sound was due to excessive roof vibration. Nissan instructed the dealer to remove the entire headliner and to apply a bonding agent to the roof support beams to improve the attachment of the roof. It took about three weeks for the dealer to have this work performed at a local body shop. This repair reduced the noise about 20%, but the noise was still excessive. Nissan then flew out 3 engineers from the factory to investigate. They confirmed that the booming resonance was from the roof and they installed additional sound absorbing material under the headliner. This reduced the noise by approximetly 50%. The vehicle is much better than before, but the resonance is still noticeable at about 30 mph to 65 mph when riding over bumpy surfaces. Making the roof quieter also made the exhaust noise more noticeable. I plan to take the Armada in to the dealer next week and insist on further improvements to reduce the exhaust noise / vibration.

Except for these noise issues, I really like the Armada. Nissan definitely has some problems to work out. I suggest that any Armada owners that have experienced these problems insist that their dealer file a complaint with Nissan and demand an immediate repair as I have done. Maybe then Nissan will work quickly to design improvements to eliminate these flaws rather than supplying band aid fixes.

Has anyone else received a repair for these problems? I would like to know if Nissan provided the same fix for you. [/quote]

NISTECH

GRRRRREAT yet another new model problem I have to deal with. with that copied info I believe this to be an issue,and honestly am not supprised with the things I have seen on the 04 new models. But when he said they flew the armada team out to adress the issue. I assure you this problem will be resolved in the manufacturing line(if it hasent already) wait about 6 weeks and go drive a newer one. go by production date on the door what ever date that thread on that site was posted go one month after the post. It should be resolved. I have been phoning the field engineer about a few other new model problems on other lines. they address them pretty quickly on the line. as far as vehicles already on the road they have to come up with fixes for those that wont require stripping it down so it will take awhile to iron those out(not as quick a fix). As for the exhuast I dont know weather they will address that. That is an individual prefference. If I am driving a big engine vehicle I want every one to know it. others want it to be like their lexus or infiniti car they had previously owned. Guess what its a truck. As i recall the chevy,ford,dodge products all have just as loud exhaust. If you want it quieter buy a resonator for your exhaust. That would be the only fix to quiet down the horse power.

Sergey

NISTECH wrote:But when he said they flew the armada team out to adress the issue. I assure you this problem will be resolved in the manufacturing line(if it hasent already)
A week ago I sent an email to Nissan asking when this problem will be fixed and when I should buy Armada hoping the problem is resolved. They replied in two days: this had not been accepted/identified by Nissan as a problem. Another dealer spoke to Nissan about this per my request. Nissan also told them they are not aware of this problem. Maybe it takes time for Nissan to acknowledge the problem. Quote »As for the exhuast I dont know weather they will address that. That is an individual prefference. If I am driving a big engine vehicle I want every one to know it. others want it to be like their lexus or infiniti car they had previously owned. Guess what its a truck. As i recall the chevy,ford,dodge products all have just as loud exhaust. If you want it quieter buy a resonator for your exhaust. That would be the only fix to quiet down the horse power. [/quote] I can't agree with you more on this.

NISTECH

I drove one and payed close attention to your concern. I did notice the slight vibration from the roof and did notice the pressure difference in my ears. but to me it was by no means disturbing to the point of my ears hurting. nor to the point of really being annoying to me even tho I was focused on it. I can see how to those with more sensitive ears, that it would be very annoying since it is present. also I focused on the exhuast level it seemed fine to me. but it is not like driving a max or even a sentra. it is louder then other nissans on the road but I expect that with a V8. when the guys next door at the GM dealer fire up the GMC's they are quite a bit louder.

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”