Arkham City

PC, Game console and Online gaming discussion forum
orangeNblue
Car: 2008 Nissan 350z

Anyone who has played the Arkham Asylum Video game will most likely be excited about this one...If you haven't played Arkham Asylum I highly, highly (did I mention highly?!) recommend it. It has great game play and a really good story that'll keep you interested all the way to the end.

As for the new game, Batman is back and the story and gameplay are supposed to be amped up. There is also the possibility to play as catwoman, which adds a neat twist to the game. I'm sure this won't disappoint!

Here is a link to the trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muCtJsy-d9w

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I'm one of the few people who was unimpressed with Arkham Asylum. The game was a neat idea that was often quite poorly executed. Weird little design decisions kept getting in the way of my enjoyment of the game. Overall, it was neat, but it lacked the polish I look for in games. If Arkham City can clean up those issues, I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

alms24sebring
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV

Someone else recommended the first one to me a few days ago and said it was really really good. Ive been looking for a new game. I might pick it up if I get the chance.

What do you mean was it glitchy or just the story/missions stupid?

orangeNblue

For the Minister its obviously a matter of personal preference. The game, depending on how you play, can actually be very challenging. The story is very entertaining, especially if you shoot for every one of the riddler's puzzles. The combat system can be frustrating at times and the camera's can sometimes do irritating things but its not an overall thing, just minor instances. This is a great game for anyone who has the time to sit down and enjoy it. It's highly ranked by almost every gaming institution for a reason. Go rent it if you have the chance, or pick it up used, which is what I did...

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

alms24sebring wrote:Someone else recommended the first one to me a few days ago and said it was really really good. Ive been looking for a new game. I might pick it up if I get the chance.

What do you mean was it glitchy or just the story/missions stupid?
Weird things like being force-teleported to spots for "cinematic" bits, and automated/uninvolved stuff like grappling to gargoyles. That kind of stuff. It makes the game feel so inorganic, and breaks up the flow. The fact that the developers didn't notice how jarring things like this are shows that they lacked attention to detail in the right places. This is a lack of polish, and I lost patience for it in games a long time ago. I'm not just there for the meta-experience. I need to enjoy PLAYING the game, not just having played it.

Chaotic_Warlord
Car: Black 5 speed Swapped 1995 240sx

You sir are a gaming snob, you are like that one anal supervisor that comes around and check all of your work with a white glove and a magnifying glass. Yes little things add up to big things, but in the case of Batman Arkham Asylum the only little thing that was frustrating only came to light with the riddler challenges that you had to align the dot to the question mark. You start to look for all the microscopic flaws in a game you won't have any games to play. You name me off a game that meets your muster and I'll find small flaws in it that you either didn't find or were willing to overlook because of one reason or another.

Seriously, Batman Arkham Asylum is easily one in the top 5 best games in the last 10 years, and in the top ten for best games ever. The graphics are spotless, the acting and story are straight out of Batman:The Animated Series, the music and sound effects are spot on and the game play and controls are easy to learn and fun. The story isn't all that short either and if you go for all the collectible and riddler puzzles there's plenty to do. The non story fight missions can get a little tedious, but if you like fighting games and enjoy linking combos together then you'll really enjoy the non story stuff too. I never did any of the MP stuff, but then I never intended to, I got the game for the story mode and the survival modes. Seriously, if you are even the slightest bit of a Batman or comic book fan this needs to be in your gaming catalogue. If you're a major Batman fan, well you'll be in geekdom.

As far as Arkham City goes, this will be more of a thrill for true Batman fans b/c not only are there more of characters involved, but we'll finally be able to use the Heavy Equipment in Batman's Arsenal (Batwing, Batmobile, Batbike) and yes there are arcs in the story where you will get to play as Catwoman. I'm super psyched about this game, and the fact that it comes out the same time as Forza 4, Battlefield 3, AC: Revelations, and Modern Warfare 3 means that my brain is going to explode and I'm never going to want to be at work. So many awesome games coming out in the next 3 months.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I actually just bought Arkham Asylum since it was on sale on Steam. The game is a LOT more fluid than I remember the launch demo being. Either the demo was a "not final product" demo or the game itself has been patched with some improvements. It looks great, runs great (the in-game benchmark puts my minimum FPS at 48...fantastic) and controls great. The detective bits are fantastic, too. Maybe it's the fact that I'm playing it on a PC now (not to bash consoles, I just feel more comfortable on a PC). I don't know. I'm enjoying it a lot.
Chaotic_Warlord wrote:You name me off a game that meets your muster and I'll find small flaws in it that you either didn't find or were willing to overlook because of one reason or another.
Certainly. But that's exactly it. Whether the game is worth its flaws is ultimately what makes a good game. NO game is flawless. And there are a lot of very flawed games I love because they have character, or soul, or whatever you want to call that special something. Painkiller, Bulletstorm, Vampire: Requiem. These games make up for their flaws by being something special.

There are other games with flaws that do NOT make up for their weaknesses. Like Duke Nukem Forever. Or Homefront. Or GTA4.

My re-experience with Arkham Asylum puts it back in the first category.

And I absolutely am a gaming snob. I don't have time for anything but excellence.

orangeNblue

People will always have opposing opinions of games. In a forum full of people, there are going to be those who like certain things and others who don't. Take grand theft auto. So many people love that game, but I hate it. It was fun for 15 min and then I just completely lost interest in it. I hate it so much I didn't even give red dead redemption a chance because when I went to go rent it the guy was like, it's a lot like GTA on horses. So I had no problem that you (MOD) didn't like it, but I am glad to hear you went back and gave it a second chance.

Back on topic, Arkham City looks awesome and even though the city is big and open, I hope the game really does follow strictly its linear path. Open environments are fun, but give it too much openness and you are running around in circles the whole time trying to find things (especially with riddler puzzles) and the game loses all of its fun factor, in my opinion. But I do like in depth games, and this one seems like it's going to take the cake. I am curious to see how far they dive into the batman world to bring multiple story lines together.

Chaotic_Warlord
Car: Black 5 speed Swapped 1995 240sx

MinisterofDOOM wrote:I actually just bought Arkham Asylum since it was on sale on Steam. The game is a LOT more fluid than I remember the launch demo being. Either the demo was a "not final product" demo or the game itself has been patched with some improvements. It looks great, runs great (the in-game benchmark puts my minimum FPS at 48...fantastic) and controls great. The detective bits are fantastic, too. Maybe it's the fact that I'm playing it on a PC now (not to bash consoles, I just feel more comfortable on a PC). I don't know. I'm enjoying it a lot.
Chaotic_Warlord wrote:You name me off a game that meets your muster and I'll find small flaws in it that you either didn't find or were willing to overlook because of one reason or another.
Certainly. But that's exactly it. Whether the game is worth its flaws is ultimately what makes a good game. NO game is flawless. And there are a lot of very flawed games I love because they have character, or soul, or whatever you want to call that special something. Painkiller, Bulletstorm, Vampire: Requiem. These games make up for their flaws by being something special.

There are other games with flaws that do NOT make up for their weaknesses. Like Duke Nukem Forever. Or Homefront. Or GTA4.

My re-experience with Arkham Asylum puts it back in the first category.

And I absolutely am a gaming snob. I don't have time for anything but excellence.
I'm happy to see that you are enjoying the game via a second chance, but if the first chance was the Demo then it's not really a chance at all, more like a taste. You can't judge a strictly by a demo unless the demo is released before the game goes gold. Even then it's still not a fair shake, that's like taking a test drive in a car using the prescribed route the sales guy tells you to go, sure you get to see how the car behaves in traffic but you don't get to see what it can do on a country road or on the highway. The best test drives are the ones that the sales guy gives you free reign.

As far as Duke Nukem goes, it's hard to match up to the original experience when the original was 15+ years ago. I'm sure the next Half Life chapter will have the same issues, hell Episodes 1 and 2 , while good games as they are, are no where near as good as the original Half Life or Half Life 2. THe best we'll get from that market in the near future is Episode 3. Homefront really isn't that bad of a game, it's way to short (but they did that on purpose), but makes up for it in leaps and bounds with the MP side. GTA 4 was cool until its head got to big and it became to full of itself, the expansions were just horrid and never should have been made.

OrangeNBlue - you really do need to give Red Dead Redemption a try, while it is an open sandbox game like GTA it's more refined and in order to progress through the story you need to follow a linear line. Rockstar saw the error of their ways and made up for GTA4 with Red Dead and definately with LA Noire. If the guy behind the counter tells you that LA Noire is GTA in the 50's you have my permission to smack him in the back of the head because while the gameplay is much the same they are 2 completely different games.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Red Dead Redemption is brilliant and feels nothing like the confused mess that was GTA4. The Undead Nightmare DLC is even better, if anything, and RDR is worth buying just to play it.
Chaotic_Warlord wrote:As far as Duke Nukem goes, it's hard to match up to the original experience when the original was 15+ years ago.
It has nothing to do with that. The common saying of a product succeeding by its own merits...DNF is that, but bad. It fails on its own weaknesses, independent of any expectations set by prior games. It is a genuinely terrible game, featuring genuinely terrible design decisions and genuinely terrible mechanics. The game is crap, and if it had been sold under any other name it never even would have entered the radar of most people or gaming media. It's indefensible garbage, not just an average game that fails to live up to some heavy-hanging legacy.

orangeNblue

lol alright I'll give them a try...and on a side note I shall bring my slapping glove as well

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

MinisterofDOOM wrote:Either the demo was a "not final product" demo or the game itself has been patched with some improvements.
It's both, but the majority is that the demo wasn't final product. I waited until the GoY Edition dropped in price to pick it up and have been nothing but happy (and frustrated with the combat challenges) with the game. If only all comic based games were as good. Until Arkham it was Spiderman 2 and Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction that held the top spots thanks to their open world. Arkham trumps them solidly. But, I mean, what can you expect...it's Batman. ;)
MinisterofDOOM wrote:And I absolutely am a gaming snob. I don't have time for anything but excellence.
This in spades. That's why, despite having a large disposable income, I buy very few titles. Fewer still at (or near) release. I think Forza 4 is the only new release I'll pick up this year and the only other game I have pre-ordered is Mass Effect 3. Arkham City and BF3 are both maybe (at time of release...Arkham City will be in my library eventually) and so is Deus Ex (despite my desire for it to do great if only for the reason that Eidos Montreal has a larger budget to work on Thief 4 with).

LocAL_anarchy
Car: 08 Mustang GT
95 Nissan 240sx
96 Ford Explorer Sport

Really enjoying this game so far. Taking my time with it, trying to take in as much of it as I can since BF3 and MW3 are just around the corner. Stealth and tactical planning play a much bigger role when you are in a room full of bad guys. No more easy drop down, take a guy out, grapple up, repeat until room cleared. Seems they gained a few IQ poionts, and actually look UP when they see you grapple away! Lot of fun.

orangeNblue

that sounds awesome! I've heard nothing but good things about this game. I am waiting til christmas to get it, so I can maybe buy it used. Plus MW3 will have died down by then....

BusyBadger
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

I picked it up on release day and have played it a little. Looks like AA online bigger, more open and you play as CatWoman in a couple of missions. Install her DLC (a slip with a DLC code is inside new copies, if you buy one pre-owned GameStop will give you a new code) before you start your first mission as Bats and the game starts with a prologue that has her in it. Additionally, her missions will be interspersed with the story missions as BatMan and make the story feel less forced and you'll probably enjoy her missions more as you won't be playing through them all at once at the end of AC.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

If you pick up a certain Green Lantern blu ray pack you can get a Sinestro Corps skin for challenge maps, which is farking awesome.

300ZXttZMAN
Car: 1990 300zx Twin Turbo 5 spd pearl white.

My Daily: 2008 Frontier NISMO package, 4x4 Crew Cab.

MinisterofDOOM wrote: Weird things like being force-teleported to spots for "cinematic" bits, and automated/uninvolved stuff like grappling to gargoyles. That kind of stuff. It makes the game feel so inorganic, and breaks up the flow. The fact that the developers didn't notice how jarring things like this are shows that they lacked attention to detail in the right places. This is a lack of polish, and I lost patience for it in games a long time ago. I'm not just there for the meta-experience. I need to enjoy PLAYING the game, not just having played it.
I actually understand what he means

Skyline_BNR34
Car: 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V

I ended up with a free copy of this game and it is awesome.

alms24sebring

orangeNblue wrote:that sounds awesome! I've heard nothing but good things about this game. I am waiting til christmas to get it, so I can maybe buy it used. Plus MW3 will have died down by then....
I doubt it. XMas will be the busiest time when all the noobs unwrap it from under the tree. When that happens, all the people that got it on the release will have a field day. It was xmas for 2 weeks in blops.

My friend said he beat it and thought it was better that Assassins Creed. His judgement on games is questionable but I have heard nothing but good things about it. He's an a$$ though and probly wont let me borrow it because hes scared Im going to ruin it, kind of pisses me off

orangeNblue

I've heard a crap ton of great things about this game...I'm really excited about giving it a go. Just can't justify getting it when MW3 is going to be all I play for about a month....

but either used or new I'm going to try and get my girlfriend to get it for me for christmas

alms24sebring

Oh I see. Well since gamestores charge $55 for a used game (bs), you might as well get new unless you can find something on amazon.

numbnuts240
Car: 1999 exploder 4-door 5-speed, 1974 fairlady z 250gt, 2011 ford focus, 2010 mazda3

this game is tits. got it on release day, and it's been a blast since i first started playing.

alms24sebring

Ok so I just got this myself like 2 weeks ago. Umm... I dont get all the hype. I definantly dont understand why this is the ONLY game that got a 10/10 in the last few months. I mean, the main story was only like 12 missions long, there are 400 freakin trophies where I dont even know how to get half of them and the riddles are totally nonnoticable without the map. No compass, pressing select needs to bring up the map first before abilities which sometimes it did for some strange reason, and stalking prey in a room full of enemies took a while. Also I have no idea what to do with the red doll things. Maybe its because I didnt play Arkham Asylum.. Not only that but the main reason why I hate Batman is because he never kills anyone, not even Joker, because hes a giant pu$$y.

But, on the plus side I love the environment. The fighting is cool with lots of moves, and can be difficult which is good. The story was pretty good although short, and the characters were pretty good too. I also think Catwoman and Mr. J's little sidekick are the hottest freakin game characters Ive ever seen in my life. That is so fap material.

BusyBadger
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

There's a compass in the game...

I did have some complaints about the game, and while I thought it was one of the better titles released this year I don't think it's a 10/10. My biggest beef if the inclusion of so many villains to the extent that the addition of many of them felt very tacked on and unneccessary.

I still like it and am still playing it. Downloaded Robin & Nightwing (love how the grown up d!ck Grayson plays), and now all Batman skins are available as DLC, including the former Batman Beyond skin (formerly only available from NOS Energy Drink) and the Sinestro Corps skin from the GL Blu-ray.

alms24sebring

Actually I meant like a GTA or Infamous map at one of the corners. I hate those kind of compasses at the top. This game is NOT perfect.

Return to “Gaming”