Are these things still worth anything?

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
dirigo1
Car: Nissan 240sx convertible

I am the original owner of a red 1993 vert. It has only 72,000 miles on it. It was my wife's daily driver in Florida for its first seven years, then she retired, and since then it has been driven only in the summers, with no more than 1000 miles or so put on it each summer. It is prepped for storage each fall and then kept in the barn until May. (We live now in Maine.) We have 2 other cars, and I am getting tired of maintaining and keeping this one registered and insured.
I have been following the "for sale" websites, including the one on this forum, and there seem to be fewer and fewer of these verts for sale. Yet, even when there is one for sale, the prices appear to me to be quite low. After almost two decades of these cars, and with only some 8000 made between 1992 and 1994, it should follow that these cars would now be appreciating in value, instead of continuing to decline. Am I missing something, or are they just not popular anymore (and maybe never will be)?
Looking to those more knowledgeable than me for some insight here. Thanks.

blkvrtswp
Car: 93 240SX Convertible
SR20DET FP 20G Turbo

They are popular - believe me. There are a lot around for sale, many well taken care of. I guess 8000 is not that few...yet. Also, major detraction's are automatic transmission and those heavy doors & warped interior door panels. Look on Facebook groups, I see NY/NJ & Florida verts I wold love to buy all the time there.

If the paint is perfect, the interior plastic on the doors is not warped and screwed back together, I would hope you could hold out for $3000-$3500 at that low mileage. I got mine (the black one in my sig below) for $2600 with 105k miles, typical door warpage and not so fresh paint on the hood and bumpers but all working and mechanically fine.

Good luck.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

^ All correct info.

The problem is that for someone who's not "in the know" and interested in doing a restoration, a 240sx vert can be a liability, rather than an asset. Lots of vert-specific parts are no longer available (such as the door panels), and coincidentally, those specialty parts are the first things to go bad (poor quality).

Honestly, I'd price a 240sx convertible similarly as a coupe or hatch, simply because of the cost of maintaining the interior and retractable top bits.

If you're looking to sell, this is the place to do it - The folks who frequent this site know the cars well, and know what they're looking for.

Welcome aboard!

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”