Are there any class options?

All over the world, Nissan products are involved in road racing, track days, time attack and autocross.
slipnfall
Car: '06 D40

Hi Folks,

'Purchased a 240 hatch last year with intentions to fulfill my long overdue KA-T itch. This is my second S13 build (the first NA) and it's just something I'd like to accomplish with this chassis.

Just curious to know if there's a low/mid-end class of sanctioned road racing that allows forced induction KA's. I don't plan to be head-over into competitive racing (mostly because I don't think I have the financial backing to sustain it), but I'd like to at least have a class to run in. A lot of this is motivated by the fact that it seems easier in some ways to build a car to a set of sanctioned rules than to try and keep it street legal.

The SCCA doesn't seem to be too friendly to this type of setup. NASA SRX allows the SR only in S13 chassis, and the others I'v seen mentioned are running with the big boys.

What are your thoughts? I understand the paradigm that you should 'build the car for the class', (and not the other way around), but there has to be a legit way to get some seat time.

FYI I tracked my last S13 half a dozen times on unofficial HPDE days out west, and I suppose *that* itch never left me.

Thanks for reading.'Slip

glitched
Car: 1992 240sx se

You mean for some wheel to wheel, or high speed autocross/Time Attack?

slipnfall

Wheel to wheel is cool, but I would settle for TA. I'm not much on autox - I like to run through the gears, not just stick around 1st and 2nd.

glitched
Car: 1992 240sx se

slipnfall wrote:Wheel to wheel is cool, but I would settle for TA. I'm not much on autox - I like to run through the gears, not just stick around 1st and 2nd.
I was refering to high speed autocross. around me, that's what the call time attack. High speed autocross is autocross at road courses basically.

Do you know which organizing club you'll be racing with?

Also, have you heard of myautoevents.com?

sr20goofus

SRX is a dead class, its been rolled over into PT classing (NASA Performance Touring). PT is almost identical to IT, its a points based system, the more mods you do the more points you take and the higher classing you get. Every 19pts you go up a class i believe.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/2009/pt.pdf

My 240 is being prepared for PTA, the fastest PT class before being jumped up to ST where more hp and money goes.

If you dont have any real track time yet just focus on getting track time and having fun before W2W and classing etc...Its not like auto-x where you are classed no matter how inexperienced, first you learn and progress then you are trained and race.

Read up on the rules if you are set on racing and just build up to a class you think you would have fun in, and dont go further.

if you have more questions, im happy to answer, i instruct HPDE's with NASA on a regular basis and i am fully planning to be competitive in W2W soon.

slipnfall

glitched wrote:I was refering to high speed autocross...Do you know which organizing club you'll be racing with? Also, have you heard of myautoevents.com?
Thanks for clearing that up. Honestly I'm really out of touch with the scene in my area - I'v been without a worthy car for so long (still am - the hatch is far from drivable) that I get excited anytime I see another 240 around town. More cows, horses and buggies than anything

That said I know there a likely some other clubs in the area, but I don't know of them. It's hard rolling up to a meet somewhere in a stock pickup. I'v been to that website a long time before, but have since forgotten about it.

sr20goofus:Thanks for the bid of confidence - I was a little worried I'd have no reasonable class to race in. I have no intentions of jumping in head first, but I need to have something, as you said, to build to. It helps to give my build a little direction.

I'd be nice to find some folks to turn wrenches with.

Stay tuned.

sr20goofus

depending where southern PA is i will be living in westminster, MD in 3 weeks time.

slipnfall

'bout an hour and a half. 50min from my work. What brings you up this way?

sr20goofus

work, company moved there and took over the local airport 3 weeks ago, and im following behind with my first house.

Return to “Nissan Road Racing / Auto X Forum”