Are the factory tires any good?

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
Kegard
Car: 1.8SL CVT

I read some reviews on TireRack about the Continental tires on our Versa's. The reviews are mixed, and I'm not impressed by them so far.

Anyone have some experience with these tires? If they are good in snow and rain I'll keep 'em, but otherwise I'd like to trade them in for something better before I put too many miles on them.

will1911a1
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa 1.8 S

They seem alright in rain, but I haven't pushed them too hard yet. They seem to be fine tires, but they're not impressive.

Elmojo
Car: 2007 Versa SL

Same here. Decent tires, but not outstanding by any means.I have Toyo Proxes4's on my 1995 Civic LX, and they are flat awesome.They track perfectly, grip like stink on wet or dry, and have the most outstanding hyrdoplaning resistance of any tire I've ever used. Plus, they aren't too expensive. I think the ones I got for my civic were $65-ish each.I'd love to hear if anyone replaces their stock Conti's with something else and what your thoughts are.Perhaps a sticky or Poll is in order?

Elmojo

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

Well, at least mileage wise, I will probably be one of the first to replace my tires, since I'm probably in the top 5% of mileage driven.

Just as a frame of reference, my last car had Michelin Energy MX-V's, which were the single best OE tire I have ever had on a car... and those were blown away by the Ohtsu Zexius I replaced them with.

Also, by comparison, the Continentals seem to be about as cheesy as the Firestones that came on my Saturn and only marginally better than the Hankooks that came on my first Kia.

versabbo
Car: Versa SL CVT

I think these tires dont have much gripping power. I can hear squeak even on a soft turn and the tire will slip during hard braking. if you roll your window down and turn off ur audio, u will notice right away.

i will change them to wider tires, 195,65 r15.

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

Widening the tires will result in an overall speedometer deflection of 2.1%... so your car will actually be moving 61.3 mph when your speedo says 60.

This will also throw off your fuel economy calculations by the same amount.

If you do this, I'd watch your fuel economy too... wider tires on an economy car, while they increase performance, also tend to decrease fuel mileage somewhat

cireecnop1
Car: 2007 Toyota Touring Prius w/Package#5

I agree I have Michelin MXV4+'s on my Audi and they are by far the best tire i have had experience with. the tires on our Versa's squeel WAY to much under slightly hard braking....but today it was raining pretty good so i went out and tried them on the road-braking 60-0 they only squeeled once. not sure why they are better on a wet surface and not on dry.

Sahandman
Car: civic

ya the continentals are crap. I think its one of the only complaints i have for the versa. im getting yokohoma high performace tires soon.

ducatinova

My brother lives in the town that has the last Continental tire plant in the USA. He says the people who work there always say not to buy them. I'm guessing it's like people that work in food processing plants. They say if you knew how it was made you would not eat it....lol. I think they are better than Hankooks or Kumho's. but not much.

versabbo
Car: Versa SL CVT

whats the width of the rim for the versa? is it 5.5 in? so i think it can fit 205, 60 r15 tires.

Return to “Versa General Chat”