are parts interchangeable between FF and FR vq35's

Discuss topics related to the VQ series engine.
Zriuz
Car: 180sx

alright i just got my hand on z33 tranny just because i'm a big car part hustler in town so i just buy stuff even if i won't use it if they are at good prices, to resell.

i do own a s13 so i just tho about vq35 swap, i'm currently running an sr but just got the urge of doing a vq swap

can anybody explain the difference between the altima, maxima and z33 vq..?? besides the obvious intake, compression and exhaust... and the difference in years and the valve timing system it uses.

i'm mad cheap so i'm trying to use the FWD version with a megasquirt. i know my way around fabrication so please avoid telling me to seek professional help.

i been searching and cant find anything about the variable valve system.

is it on and off like v-tec, or more like a cam degree adjustment like i-vtec (sorry for the honda comparison) trying to figure out since megasquirt can only control the on and off type. any info will be great.

also want to know if parts like, pistons, cams and rods are interchangeable between the fwd and rwd versions

Zriuz
Car: 180sx

damn no body knows about this??

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Why would ethical people consider violating the Federal Clean Air Act by installing a larger displacement engine?

Spoolin4days
Car: 03 Spec V, 92 Sentra 2dr

Q45tech wrote:Why would ethical people consider violating the Federal Clean Air Act by installing a larger displacement engine?
Wouldn't a VQ have lower emissions than a boosted SR? or am I missing something here?

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Unfortunately the law considers displacement as a higher emission producer. Especially at idle.A boosted SR is illegal because it was never legally imported or sold in US. Never tested for emission compliance.

rmezz13
Car: Had 2004.5 Nissan 350z
Have 96 f250 and mommas 07 Murano

Q45tech wrote:Why would ethical people consider violating the Federal Clean Air Act by installing a larger displacement engine?
^^^^^ these are the people that are involved in the EPA that are the reason we cannot update our refineries, build newer more efficient refineries, and dig for oil in our own land..... These people are the reason GAS is so freaking high.... federal clean air act.... blah blah blah..... the same people that say diesel is more polluting than unleaded.... Diesel is more pure and easier for the earth to break down, but since its black smoke it must be bad.... only in america!

irax
Car: VQ35DER Powered S14.3

how does swapping in a vq into an s13 violate FCAA ? As long as all the emissions equipment is kept from the newer engine and not modified at the very least it is legal. Although you can not swap an engine from a truck into a car nor a gas engine into a car that is diesel, though the opposite is completely legal.

I just scanned through the FCAA and it doesn't specify a displacement compliance.

kzoosho
Car: Turboed 1997 Nissan Maxima SE

To answer your question the difference in VQ's is very minimal. You can use a vq30 or 35 with that tranny.

gadget1382
Car: 2x S12 Gazelle, 1. CA18det daily 2. Building VQ30det+t track car

Why would you care?

You guys are complaining about petrol prices, yet get them cheaper than nearly everywhere in the world!

American pollys lack of logic, astounds me!

We have stricter road rules than you guys for EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) yet we can still realise that a newer engine, designed for a later Euro standard, is more than likely going to produce less emissions than that for a standard years earlier.

From what limited research i've done there are quite a few parts that are interchangable, but rather unsure of the variable timing etc.

SPiG

Between the FWD and RWD VQ35DE (not including Rev Up, HR, or early pathfinder)

these are the same:pistons (compression is the same for all at 10.3:1 from the FSM)rodscrank etc.heads everything inside the heads including cams and VTC

These are not the same:Block (mount oil panintake manifoldexhaust manifoldscoolant linesheadgasket (FWDs have 2 layer, RWDs have 3)

All it really does is make you source some more parts like the oil pan and IM, and make custom motor mount brackets. It can be done and for significantly less money than a RWD engine would cost.

The Nissan VTC on the VQ35 is continuous so it is NOT on/off, and cannot be controlled without a complex computer to run it. There are ways around it including disabling it, but you will lose torque or have to use the stock ECU or an expensive standalone.

I am personally disabling it for my swap since I think I will have enough torque with what I have planned.

sancosys

There is nothing illegal about swapping in a larger displacement engine as long as you meet the correct laws as well as keep all the applicable smog devices. If not explain how a LS1 swap into a S13 can be legalized in California. And yes it can be...

Aaron

Clifton
Car: 73' 240Z/7MGTE 71 240Z/L28ET

[QUOTE=Q45tech]Why would ethical people consider violating the Federal Clean Air Act by installing a larger displacement engine?[/QUOTE}

+1 for keeping it on topic.

tre4s13
Car: 89 Zenki s13 with a 94.5 DE swap.

I think the oil pans can be interchangeable...unless whoever has proof that they aren't.... I decided to take the liberty of making comparisons from the 03 z33 fsm and 03 R50 fsm.

Keep in mind, that i'm NOT the best photoshopper in the world....but here is what i've came up with:

Although both the blocks on the left side DO look similar, yet vague..... check out the right side images and compare the holes... The only thing that worries me is the right side that will seem to create a void if I use the z33 pan.... (Note: upper right of engine in BOTH upper and lower left pictures.......also damnit...screw this you guys should have common sense to know what im talking about.)

Anyway....discuss.

simmode1
Car: Red '95 S14

SPiG wrote:Between the FWD and RWD VQ35DE (not including Rev Up, HR, or early pathfinder)

these are the same:pistons (compression is the same for all at 10.3:1 from the FSM)rodscrank etc.heads everything inside the heads including cams and VTC

These are not the same:Block (mount oil panintake manifoldexhaust manifoldscoolant linesheadgasket (FWDs have 2 layer, RWDs have 3)

All it really does is make you source some more parts like the oil pan and IM, and make custom motor mount brackets. It can be done and for significantly less money than a RWD engine would cost.

The Nissan VTC on the VQ35 is continuous so it is NOT on/off, and cannot be controlled without a complex computer to run it. There are ways around it including disabling it, but you will lose torque or have to use the stock ECU or an expensive standalone.

I am personally disabling it for my swap since I think I will have enough torque with what I have planned.
Useful! I had been looking for a breakdown like this! Does anyone know if Rev-up heads bolt on to Non-Rev-up FWD blocks? And does the HR intake manifold bolt on to Rev-up & non Rev-up heads?

flynbyu82

Is the INTAKE MANIFOLD different or the INTAKE PLENUMS different? I was under the presumption that it was just the plenums but that is strictly from reading/research. Would love a definitive answer...

tre4s13
Car: 89 Zenki s13 with a 94.5 DE swap.

Plenums are obviously different....pathfinder, 350z, maxima...etc

But after comparing the 350z manifold to the maxima manifold per fsm....I noticed they're perfectly the same from head to gasket to manifold...BUT from manifold to plenum there's a difference in the top for the runners....maxima is circular, 350z is square.

The maxima has 6 circles perfectly inline with each other...

The 350z has 6 staggered squares......

Bolt holes are nothing the same.....

So it's safe to ASSUME that you can use ANY plenum with its corresponding manifold to whatever vq.

flynbyu82

tre4s13 wrote:Plenums are obviously different....pathfinder, 350z, maxima...etc

But after comparing the 350z manifold to the maxima manifold per fsm....I noticed they're perfectly the same from head to gasket to manifold...BUT from manifold to plenum there's a difference in the top for the runners....maxima is circular, 350z is square.

The maxima has 6 circles perfectly inline with each other...

The 350z has 6 staggered squares......

Bolt holes are nothing the same.....

So it's safe to ASSUME that you can use ANY plenum with its corresponding manifold to whatever vq.
Darn, I was hoping that would not be the case...

So to reiterate, since you need to switch intake on a FWD VQ35 to do a 240sx swap, you would need both pieces of the plenum AND the actual intake manifold, an entirety of 3 pieces. Correcto mundo?

It is looking like that it might be worth it to be patient and look for RWD engines... the parts needed to switch from RWD add up quick, plus, like previously mentioned, specific parts may be hard to come by.

Return to “VQ30DE / VQ35DE / VQ35HR Forum”