are all the bolts and such metric or SAE on the canadian 2008 rogue?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
crunchiespg
Car: 2008

as per the title, are the bolts metric or SAE on the rouges?

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

Since the car is japanese engineered, based on an european model, I strongly believe it is all metric.

At least, everything I unbolted/rebolted on the car up to today is metric.

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

Metric.

philipa_240sx

Sorry, I have to chuckle...

Nissan's are all metric and have been for some time... they started going metric in the late 60's or possibly even earlier.

crunchiespg
Car: 2008

well having never owned a nissan before they could of been metric sine 1700 for all it matters to me.. and its not like they dont do stupid changes to keep the USA market happy... and ive found since i moved to canada 50% of the vehicles ive had to do jobs on, including other japanese vehicles, have been SAE.. apparently for no other reason than americans cant understand metric...

philipa_240sx

crunchiespg,

Please don't misunderstand me. I was just being very humourous!

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

crunchiespg wrote:... and ive found since i moved to canada 50% of the vehicles ive had to do jobs on, including other japanese vehicles, have been SAE.. apparently for no other reason than americans cant understand metric...
Maybe it is more dependent to the fact that some cars are assembled in the US, therefore SAE hardware could be more easily accessible, don't know.

All cars have seen so far, all japanese ones, have been metric so I assumed they were all engineered in metric, based on the education of the engineers.Maybe some are engineered in North America, maybe some have been reengineered to fit the assembly in North America.Did you do a little study to see what models are metric and which ones are SAE, trying to guess which option could be the one?

My wife works in engineering design, and from what I see, they reuse what worked, what they learned at school. She has a hard time to design in metric, she did not learn that way. For my part, I am a metric guy (european education), and kind lost when I have to think in imperial, take me some times everytime and have to recheck to be sure.

youngdustin
Car: 99 Altima

As long as we're on the topic, I'll throw in my two cents. As an American, I absolutely hate the fact that we don't/won't change over to metric. Granted, it would take some re-learning, but the whole metric system makes so much more sense. Although as far as tools go, it wouldn't surprise me if we don't switch over to metric simply so tool manufacturers can sell us each tool twice.

philipa_240sx

Pescakl1 wrote:Maybe it is more dependent to the fact that some cars are assembled in the US, therefore SAE hardware could be more easily accessible, don't know.
My '03 Altima was built at the Smyrna, Tennessee plant. All fasteners were metric.

I have done a lot of contract work at Honda of Canada Mfg. in Ontario, Canada. They have built MDX's, Odyssey's, Civic's, Pilot's.... all of them use metric fasteners. They also get sub assemblies like engines, trans, suspension from US plants. Everything is metric.

cdmuile
Car: Nissan Rogue, Scion tC RS4.0

C'mon philipa. It's not like the US is the only country in the world that hasn't gone metric. Let's see.......there's Liberia and, and Bur...Myanmar and, and,.... could the Indian reservations be considered nations?

philipa_240sx

cdmuile wrote:C'mon philipa. It's not like the US is the only country in the world that hasn't gone metric. Let's see.......there's Liberia and, and Bur...Myanmar and, and,.... could the Indian reservations be considered nations?
I am trying to figure out if you are being funny....

In some ways, many still use Imperial measurements... even in so called metric countries. I work in the HVAC field and many of my older peers still work in Fahrenheit, Cubic Feet per Minute, US Gallons, etc. At least 75% of the Architectual and Mechanical system drawings I use are still done in feet and inches. I always have to convert between systems.

BTW, there is still one part of every Nissan that is still SAE: The wheels. They are still measured in inches of diameter, and many larger Nissans still use the 5x114.3mm or 5x4.5" bolt pattern.

Return to “Rogue Forum”