Are aftermarket exhuasts in VA illegal?

Including VA, WV, MD, DE, DC, NJ, PA, CT, RI, NY, MA, NH, VT, and ME
kyle454
Car: 1989 240sx

ok anyone know if aftermarket exhuast...basically other than oem...are illegal in virginia? i would like to know for sure before i purchase one. i have read a few articles on the internet about the subject but idk how reliable the sources..cant find anything on the dmv site. so if anyone knew for sure please respond. dont respond or post in this thread if you dont know. thanks

gnvarnadore
Car: 89 240sx Base Coupe(daily/project) 91 240sx SE Coupe(sold) 92 240sx SE Coupe(sold) 89 240sx Base Hatch(sold) 93 240sx SE Hatch(SOLD!!!)

got this off of machv.com and the only way you might be able to get away with non oem exhaust is to get one that looks oem and isnt loud so the cops dont notice you.

In terms of running aftermarket systems, it doesn't look too good if you're a Virginia resident.

This part is no problem: You have to run a muffler, not a straight pipe.

[From the Virginia state legal code]

§ 46.2-1047. Muffler cutout, etc., illegal.

It shall be unlawful to sell or offer for sale any (i) muffler without interior baffle plates or other effective muffling device or (ii) gutted muffler, muffler cutout, or straight exhaust. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate on the highways in the Commonwealth a motor vehicle equipped with a gutted muffler, muffler cutout, or straight exhaust.

(Code 1950, § 46-306; 1950, p. 54; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-302; 1964, c. 628; 1989, c. 727.)

But this one is more strict:

§ 46.2-1049. Exhaust system in good working order.

No person shall drive and no owner of a motor vehicle shall permit or allow the operation of any vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with an exhaust system of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment, in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise. An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make.

The term "exhaust system," as used in this section, means all the parts of a motor vehicle through which the exhaust passes after leaving the engine block.

Chambered pipes are not an effective muffling device to prevent excessive or unusual noise.

(Code 1950, § 46-305; 1952, c. 455; 1956, c. 651; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-301; 1960, c. 120; 1970, c. 266; 1972, c. 66; 1989, c. 727.)

This would seem to suggest that ANY aftermarket system that is at all louder than stock is illegal. The bold sentence (emphasis added) is the killer. But we wonder how exactly you PROVE that the system is louder than a stock one. Side by side comparisons? Seems impractical, especially on the side of the road. Other than this technical detail, it looks like the intent of the law is to make any louder-than-stock exhaust system illegal in the state of Virginia.

AAV240sx
Car: '89 240sx ka24e-t
E39 M5

Aftermarket exhausts are "technically" no bueno in the VA, but where we live the cops don't mind as much. Just be careful when you're out in the fairfax/loundon county area though.

Timos240
Car: '95 240sx not quite stock,

A state trooper I talked to interpreted the law to say that if you modified the sound in anyway, it was illegal.

Mofuger
Car: 93` 240SX SE , Among others

Yea , but it is ok if you drive a big truck or ride a Harley Davidson . Cops just single out tuners around here too .

tdown

If you dont want to deal with any troubles whatsoever regarding safety inspections or getting pulled over then dont get an aftermarket exhaust. An extremely small minority of safety inspection facilities and police officers may fail or cite you for having one. Some states have actual specific laws that have been passed within the last 10 years that set specific decibal levels that cannot be passed. But I dont think Virginia has any of those laws on the books.

Having said that I ran aftermarket exhausts for over a decade and never had any issues. You should never have a problem if its not excessively loud.

flohtingPoint
Car: 2004 Z16 Corvette Z06

3 times in one month my Corolla got cited for noise violations =/ NOVA blows...

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

I would say if its not loud you don't have to worry.

I was told factory styled exhausts were legal. So my exhaust is 2.5 headers back and ends in a dual tip magnaflow. I have the BRM exhaust from NICO.

I have never gotten a second look.

flohtingPoint
Car: 2004 Z16 Corvette Z06

breadbox wrote:I would say if its not loud you don't have to worry.

I was told factory styled exhausts were legal. So my exhaust is 2.5 headers back and ends in a dual tip magnaflow. I have the BRM exhaust from NICO.

NOVA is waaaay different than the rest of VA. I go down to the VA Beach area quite a bit for business and autocross (when there are no events in my area) and I've never gotten a second look from a cop.

Retired Chief

breadbox wrote:I would say if its not loud you don't have to worry.

Concur for the tidewater area. As long as it's not too loud and you have a legal cat then you should be fine. If it's really loud or if you have test pipes or illegal HFC then you can be sited.

Yardjass
Car: 1990 300ZX, 1994 Honda Civic EX

Anybody know anything about the Portsmouth and Norfolk area? I the HKS hi-flow cats taken off my 300ZX because the inspection guy in Pennsylvania said they were illegal in some parts of the state. Then I got to reading about these crazy Virginia laws (just moved to VA). I would love to put them back on but not if I am going to get ticketed or some douchenozzle is going to make me take them off at inspection. Having said that, I have seen/heard tons of cars with fart cans and all sorts of obnoxiously loud exhausts, which suggests that the cops don't really give a crap.

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

This may be a bit late, but better late than never.

If you drive down to the beach, don't be surprised to be hassled a bit. However, from my experience in the rest of the area (primarily the peninsula), you'll never get hassled for it. The cops around here have more pressing matters to worry about than some equipment infractions.

sndtgr08
Car: Altima Coupe 3.5SE MT

My Exhuast in Va........and I have not been pulled over yet......

Return to “Northeast Region”