Apple Carplay

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
hybridmd
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35, Journey

Hello,
Does any one out there have any recomendations on how to get Carplay on a EX35 journey? Apple indicated that the issue is that Infiniti manufacturers need to either have the hardware or software to support it. I've contacted Infiniti and they indicated that there might be an after-market alternative, but havent't really look into any support for it. \
thank you.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

We have an incredible SEARCH feature on this forum.

Reprogram Infotainment System for Apple Car Play

hybridmd
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35, Journey

@ Rogue One, thank you for your response.
I have read through tons of online forms, including using the "Search" option. I've seen options of Grom-andoid sub-systems attached to the vehicles onboard entertainment system, nut seems like a lot of work. I just wish that Nissan-Infiniti would get on board with support of such a key technology, as the iPhone that many of its owner have. I've seen Firm-ware upgrades being offered by Ford-motors to for their vehicles to support Apple Carplay. But once again, thank you for your support.

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

You have to keep a few things in mind.

It looks like you have a 2008 model. While the infotainment system was quite advanced and well executed at that time, Carplay didn't come out for another 6-7 years. That's quite a long time when it comes to advances in computers, electronics and software. There's a chance that the '08 hardware won't be able to run Carplay. I know in my 2018 Honda, I have to connect my phone to the USB port in order to get Carplay/Android Auto running on the headunit. My '08 EX35 did not have a USB port at all. Yeah, Ford may be offering updates to their SYNC system to enable CP/AA, but will their cars from 10 years ago be compatible?

Given that the car model is 10 years old and that it did not sell in high numbers, I think that the Naviks hardware along with its sub $500 price is a fair and reasonable solution. Also, think about who Infiniti targets for buying their vehicles. I picture that those who get a new Infiniti model tend to be a bit older and comfortable financially. They're not as tied to their smartphones as the younger generation, so getting their phones integrated with the car isn't as big of a deal. It's either that, or they end up just leasing the car and upgrading to a newer model every couple of years. I wouldn't expect Infiniti to perform a major update to the software and interface as I just don't think the demand is there.

Yes it's late, but Infiniti will bring Apple Carplay (and Android Auto) to their cars next year. Nissan had already started on some of their 2017 models.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”