Apparently wheel bearing broke wheel hub. Now I'm broke

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
98_Q45

Sometimes I feel like a demon keeps making things breakdown on my car all of a sudden each time. I've considered exorcising the f-ing thing because it's just getting sickening with these repair bills every month.

I've not had any issues since the starter and oil pressure switch issue last month. But mainly because I've been enjoying a nice smooth ride for the past several hundred miles from the Midwest to the Gulf, until last week more s*** started going wrong.

So my car was in the shop overnight last weekend (spent Valentine's day afternoon sitting in a car shop). due to bad brakes. That in itself was over $400. I even brought the pads and rotors myself. But the calipers were bad supposedly. I pulled a miracle and got it fixed.

Well prior to the brakes there was some noise coming from the rear. Over the course of maybe 400 miles it got progressively worse. To point where my rear drivers wheel began wobbling at 70 mph. So Had to limp to nearest gas station and use up my last AAA service call to get towed back to the shop who originally checked it out and said control arm loose.

So now I'm stranded and pretty much in a trance not believing this is happening for the 3rd time in 30 days: feeling sick and nauseous wondering how I'm going to afford the mechanic bill. And not being at home, I can't just stop and do it myself.

What's made it so hard is that I can't find a rear LCA no where except a used one on eBay and a new aftermarket one for over 200. Had to gamble with the cheaper used one. Also can't find wheel hub, only at the dealer. So that's gonna be another $170.

Flee thee from this vehicle, Satan!

BCC93QT
Car: 1990 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45

I'm on my..... 5th G50 Q45. You are still in the learning stages. It will get easier if you decide to keep it.... well, if you can figure out how to maintain it. Just going to be more time consuming not exactly cost effective. Keep in mind you drive a mechanical vehicle destined to fail like every other vehicle. Buy parts cars, strip them, sell what u can profit off of, and horde what u think you will need. It Is not cost effective and there is no reason whatsoever to throw new OEM highy inflated infiniti parts at a 20+ year old car. I've already done pretty much everything you could do on the G50 model. Other than rebuild the transmission and a full engine tear down. Timing chain guides injectors, hoses, fuel pumps, window regulars, not going to keep going. My first car was a 93 G50 Q45 16 years ago. Been there. Done that. Lots of time effort money etc. Other than being homeless the Q45 probably influenced me the most to become an engineer. Was the only Q45 on campus. Would have chosen the Corolla route for cost effectiveness. But then again that Q attracted much attention it actually benefited my education. I replaced my drug and alcohol addiction with a Q45. 16 years later... Still cant quit the Q45 addiction Making good money. And you guessed it.. Just bought a 1990 Q45 over a 2020 Tesla "FU"

I dont mean to be negative but your vocabulary and verbage make me think you are on the younger side. And I could be wrong!. I seriously doubt you will be posting on this forum at this time next year. Most of the info you need is on this forum. The individuals that used to own repair and maintain these Q45s are long gone with the exception of a few. Buy a 4 banger... Go get a 4 year degree, make good money, and if the Q45 is still stuck on your brain. Buy another one when you are making 100k+.

I know this didnt help much..... unless you have a second vehicle or this is a super rare model.... the rigorously honest approach is to get effing rid of it.

98_Q45

^^^ hey thanks for the wise words and sharing your experiences. I haven't been on the forum much despite this. I guess in this thread I wasn't so much asking a question but more just venting out and seeing if anyone had similar experiences.

Good news though: I was able to get everything done by end of week. Broke down on Monday, had it fixed by Saturday. But saying it was a harrowing experience would be an understatement. For one I am out of town, and 2 the bearing got so bad that it did damage the wheel hub. Driving at 10 mph, it was very difficult to maneuver. I've never had a problem like that on any vehicle...but then again I've never owned a RWD before either.

The way I pulled out of it: instead of paying $89 at OReiliy for a bearing, i caught one for $15 on rock auto. Then, I found a good condition used rear control arm on eBay (just had a torn ball joint boot, but ball joint was good). Then the hub itself I had found at a European/Japanese parts recycling place. The ONLY one I could find anywhere in town. $35 for the whole hub assembly.

However, the bearing in the used one wasn't good, hence why I got a new one. But my mechanic was miffed that they had to press out 2 bearings. Labor only was $400. I could only come up with $200, and promise to pay the rest...which he also didn't like. But I told him, with no car...i can't get to work and work is 100 miles away. But I've known him for 10-15 years so he know I'm not just gonna dip out.

But yes....what can I say. It's unusual to have all these things going at once. Starter, brakes, wheel bearing all within 30 days. That's over $900 that I can't use towards important things.

At the same time I'm not complaining. I'm just talking about the reality of the situation. It's easy to say get rid of it...but it is my 2nd car, however my credit is f*** due to student loans and bad debt, so I can't just up and get a new car when I feel like it. And getting another used car is just buying someone else's problem. Some friend suggest I sell it for $1,500-2,000. HELL NO. That's not even enough money to do anything with. That'll be gone within a week or 2. And it probably won't buy anything of quality. I don't want no cheap, plastic, cloth piece of s***. I've had those cars, they break too. Plus, I tell my friends it would be a waste to let it go considering I've changed every moving part in the engine except the alternator at this point...and I just hope it keeps holding on lol.

I've even looked at "newer" Infiniti like 2003-2010s, and you can see the painted plastic trim peeling off, dashboards looking wavy and sunburnt etc. The inside of my dash and trim still looks like new. And even though my original seats were peeling and splitting, my junkyard seats from last year are still holding up no rips or tears. Has a nice "vintage" leather wear to it.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”