Anyway to keep using factory navi with single din?

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
rehman2009

I have a 2003 Infiniti G35 Sedan. I've looked at the stickied thread and found that I can retain navi function with a JDM kit. Honestly, though, I'm not sure if I wanna spend the money hooking my car up now because it has nearly 190,000 miles. I'd much rather wait until my next Infiniti.

With that said, though, I think my HU is going bad (I previously thought it was the amp). Sometimes the sound cuts in and out when I am turning. Some speakers work sometimes while others do not. They seem to switch. Every now and then, they'll all work (or maybe three). The Bose subwoofer doesn't seem to work well anymore. Not much bass and when there is, it seems minimal. When I hit the SIDE of the radio, the sound actually changes from where it is coming from. It isn't always successful. Can anyone confirm that this is the HU and not the amplifier (I don't have the tool to check the amp voltage or whatever).

Anyways, since I want to retain navi function but not spend $300-400 on a dash kit, I thought to just get a single din but Crutchfield says I'll have to get a pocket for that too? Any ideas guys? I'd appreciate the help.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

To save money why not just get a replacement factory radio off ebay and replace the sub? If you hit the console and the sound changes it's definitely the radio with a problem...probably bad solder joints.

Fireriderguss
Car: mazda

It is not difficult I like to read it several times.

megalodon
Car: 2003 G35 6MT
2012 G37s 7AT Convertible

I replaced my factory HU with a double din in my 03. The Factory HU is junk, and worse, the AC controls are on the same circuit board. So when my radio went out, so did my AC controls. AC still worked, I just couldn't change or adjust it. You will need a face plate. when I did this a few years ago there were 2 options the expensive face plate with the mushy buttons ( I forget the maker) , or the ridiculously expensive face plate by JDM (OEM). I went with the JDM because I had planned to keep the car for a while but boy, that hurt. I also added a steering wheel adapter kit to maintain the button controls on the steering wheel. For whatever reason no kit comes with the ability to use dual climate control, so you will loose that.....unless you want to do some soldering and take the old dual button from your old board and solder it to your new board. I did, it's easy.

Whatever you do GET BLUETOOTH! My new HU came with it and I thought it was gimmicky at first, It changed the way I drive.

In the end before I got rid of the car, my subs were non existent as well, so it may very well be the amp, too. Sorry.

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”