anyone use that clear film paint protector for the front end?

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
dal455
Car: G35

after extensive research I just bought an '03 G35 w/15k miles, blk on blk w/ aero and sport pkg. I love this car. i read about the paint chipping problem and saw this clear film protector but wanted to see if anyone had tried it? http://thexcity.com/the reviews were mixed, some say it takes profesional installation.

also, i saw your posting about the 2003.5 sadan body change, you can see the lid opener and change on mine. i'll post a pic soon

gcburn
Car: 2005 G35 Sedan

I've tried to use one of the clear protectors. I purchased one from an ebay dealer. The first one that they shipped didn't fit properly. I think it may be for a coupe and I have a 2005 sedan. They have shipped me a second one, but I haven't had the time to install that one.

I will admit that installing the first one was not as bad as I thought it would be. Just follow the instructions and have a friend available to help you. We didn't have any problem removing the film and placing it on the car. It just didn't fit properly once we got it on, so we simply peeled it back off and washed the front of the car.

I think the product is a good idea if you get the one that will fit your car properly.

I'll post a follow up when I try to install the second one.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

I have one on my car. Though it is a different brand. Mine got a rather faded appearance after about a year. I ended up taking all but the one on the front bumper off. It has however kept the paint underneath looking great. Rock chips are minimal. Some of the exposed areas have some noticable chipping, but for the most part, it's done it's job well. I can barely tell the one on the front bumper is ther since most of it is covered by the clear bra. But the one on the hood was much easier to see as it faded as it only covered a small portion of the hood. If the longevity of the product wasn't as poor as it is, I would get the ones for the hood and fender, but I would probably stick with the one for the bumper. That's probably the part that most likely to be hit my small rocks anyways.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Have any of you all tried http://www.stongard.com? I'd love to hear reviews about that!

Z

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

I've heard people who have used 3M and pretty good results for a few years before it starts to yellow a little. Nothing about stongard though.

miata007
Car: 2009 Cube 6sp, 2005 G35 sedan

Does anyone know the difference between the 3M ones compare to the one from thexcity.com? The 3M ones are 3 to 4 times the cost. I am thinking about getting some 12in x 24in from thexcity.com for $1.99/peice. That way I can do it myself and save some $$$.

C-Kwik

I dunno, but there are imitation or at least very poor quality versions floating around. A good one will have a glossy appearance. They will also stretch very well without tearing. There are differences in thicknesses as well, even between brands made by 3M.

Road Ruler
Car: G35 sedan prem

Yes, my 2003 Garnet red sedan had the 3M film installed when it was new. It has 70K on it and the 3M film is still in good shape. The paint below has mega chips and looks bad. I will repaint that area in the Spring with a quality paint that hopefully will stand up better than the original paint. Don't know why this paint is so chipper!! One would think that Nissan would have figured out how to spray a quality product on a high end product?!?!?

C-Kwik

Road Ruler wrote:Yes, my 2003 Garnet red sedan had the 3M film installed when it was new. It has 70K on it and the 3M film is still in good shape. The paint below has mega chips and looks bad. I will repaint that area in the Spring with a quality paint that hopefully will stand up better than the original paint. Don't know why this paint is so chipper!! One would think that Nissan would have figured out how to spray a quality product on a high end product?!?!?
The problem with paint chipping is not limited to Nissan. Pretty much all manufacturers are having this issue. It has to do with the clean air laws. With so many mandates requiring the use of water based paints, we get craptacular paints on our cars now. Petroleum based paints were much harder and resistant to damage. Body shops are not in any better position to provide harder paints either. It's just something we all need to live with now...

400ex
Car: 1994 s-14

that stuff make the car look like crap. i would just fix the chip over time, if they bother you that much.

rydwhite

I'm personally not a big fan either of any of these products. They are clear, but you can still see lines of where it is placed.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I'm considering one for mine...

Demonteverde
Car: 2004.5 G35 Coupe 6mt

I have a clear bra on my coupe installed by Allan Selligman (www.invincaman.com) here in Orlando, Fl. He travels and does installs all over Florida. He did an excellent job on my car and the kit that he uses covers a good portion of the front of the car and side mirrors.

As for the looks, oppinions differ on whether or not the clear bra makes the car look bad. I was just getting sick and tired of the G35's rock chip prone weak paint. Now I don't have to worry about rock chips and bugs (they wipe off easily with the clear bra installed) as much as I did before.

adamG35sedan
Car: 03 G35

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW

I just ordered one of these, and I figured I'd give it a try, if it works and/or last then I let you all know how it turns out, its better to gamble on $25 bucks, than buying a 400+ kit, or get charged $700 by the dealer to get it put on. so if figure if I can do this myself, it would be worth letting you guys know. and if it doesn't work, then I will save up for a better one, but I've had my G back from the shop for a month now, and there are already 3 or 4 large chips in the hood, so I still gotta get it touched up, and then slap that bra on there. keep ya posted and I put some pics on here.

Valenti

I just had Stoneguard installed on my 05 6MT. I'll keep y'all posted on how it holds up.

GMAN69
Car: 2004 G35 coupe 6mt

I'm new to the forum. I just bought a 04 G35 6mt and love it. The first thing I wanted to do was protect the front end. It already has chips but I would like to get the film protector. Which one is the best.

Thanks

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

GMAN69 wrote:Which one is the best.

Thanks
Without a doubt, http://www.stongard.com Must have a good installer.

adamG35sedan

still haven't got that film put on. I have been super busy at work, and haven't had the time. I should be getting the paint fixed next week though, I will post pics, and possibly a DIY write up.

rydwhite

A DIY with pics would be great.

Valenti

Here's some photos of the film (sounds like a redundancy, don't it?) Most of the time, the "line" is invisible, but it becomes apparent under certain lighting conditions. While the line might be a problem for some, compared to the shotgun blast my other cars have experienced, I'll gladly take the line. We'll see how well it holds up.

Valenti

Closer photo:

Valenti

One more angle:

GMAN69
Car: 2004 G35 coupe 6mt

Your car looks great!!! I got a quote of $475 to get clear shield installed on my G35. I have to though, get the front bumper repainted first. That was quoted @ $250. Anyway, the time will come

BlkrwdT

I think in order to do-it-yourself you have to have some tinting skills as they are apply the same way as tint( heat bending them to the curve contours, squeegee, soap spray, etc). I just bought the ebay ones for $9.99 just to test it out before I dish out $170 to get a 3M brand. Although I did some tinting in the past, Ill just give it a try and maybe do a write up for you guys.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Valenti wrote:I just had Stoneguard installed on my 05 6MT. I'll keep y'all posted on how it holds up.
Awesome! Would love to see how that works out for you!

Z

Valenti

Thanks for the kind words. I'll keep everyone posted. (As an aside, the half-bra on my wife's Sienna [note: bra on her car, not on HER... ] finally fell apart so I removed it today. Yes, the nose of the hood looks better than the upper portion, but oh, that nasty zone where the dirt would get caught in between! Since the van is now 8 years old, I'm giving it permission to go bra-less. But I'm so glad I got the clear film for my G. (Just realized this could get way off topic with discussions about bras and g's...

adamG35sedan

my dealer quoted me $695 for the materials plus installation. I bought one off of ebay for $45 dollars if it fades after a year I can live with that, because I'd rather spend $45 a year, protecting my paint, and not $700 every couple of years for pretty much the same thing. even though the 3M is a higher quality material, when it comes down to it, its a glorified, heavy duty saran wrap, and shouldn't cost that much, but I guess you get what you pay for.

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”