Anyone use a juicer?

Home project-related forums. Woodworking, home improvement, landscape, and cooking discussion forum. Yeah, car guys cook.
srellim234
Car: 2007 silver Versa SL
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

I recently got a Breville juicer and am just learning the juicing game. The goal is to get more veggie nutrients into the family's diet since we're not eating enough in the way of veggies. We eat plenty of fruit and my first couple of fruit juices have been okay. My first few veggie juices have been pretty poor.

Can anyone recommend either a good juicing book that has fairly easy recipes or have some actual "go to" veggie juice recipes I can try?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Yep, had a Jack Lalanne power juicer. Total waste of money. Gave mine away to a local thrift store. Part of the benefit of eating fruits and veggies is the fiber content. Unless you save the pulp to use in baking, you're throwing out a vital part of the fruit/veggies. I found some recipes online but deleted them, sorry.

srellim234
Car: 2007 silver Versa SL
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

Thank for the tip. I am keeping some of the pulp and using in various other dishes but I actually have a little bit different reasoning behind this for our health. Having spent 40 years in the pharmacy business and also having a brief career as an athlete and coach I'm convinced that almost all vitamins are a waste of time and money and may actually be harmful in the long term.

For example, take the Vitamin C in a citrus fruit. We need it, but do we also need the other amino acids, chemicals, etc. in those fruits to tell our body how to properly utilize it? I think we do. The human body has developed that over thousands of generations of human development. Is it a possibility that besides our population living longer and the exposure to a huge amount of relatively new chemicals in our environment, some of the large increase in cancer cases is the imbalance our bodies get by taking in specific vitamins without the rest of the food item?

I've taken low temperature dehydrated whole fruit and vegetable powders, tablets and capsules since the early 1970s but good ones are getting harder and harder to find. Hence the juicer idea.

Return to “Around the House”