anyone tried 17" wheels?

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
Chris92SE
Car: 2017 QX30
2003 Pathfinder LE

Winter/snow season is just around the corner and I like to have a set of dedicated winter tires on it's own set of rims.

I can get a much better deal on 17 inch tires, especially snow tires.

I just wondered if 17s will fit over the brakes or if anyone has tried to fit them on an FX35?

I was thinking about trying to grab some 17" G35 or 350z wheels for winter if I could find a set cheap.

thanks,

chris

Thorshammer
Car: FX35

I doubt if 17" would work. those hubs are designed to take a 20" wheelThe rotors are over 12" in diameter.

Do you have rear wheel drive FX?If you do it really does not make a differance what wheel you put on it, In the snow you are going to have problems.Opt for the AWD next time around.

Chris92SE
2003 Pathfinder LE

I have an AWD, but it came with summer tires.

I also live on a hill and we get decent amount of snow and ice here. My previous vehicle was a QX4 and I used studded snow tires all around to get up and down the hills. Without good snow tires, it's very dicey going downhill, no matter if your car is RWD, FWD or AWD.

There are a lot of Maxima guys that use 13" Cobra rotors and certain 17s fit over them. I just wanted to find out if anyone on this board had tried 17s on an FX.

I think I will just try to find a set I like and if they don't work for the FX, I can put them on my Maxima.

[email protected]
Car: FX35

17 inch Steel Wheel does not work on my Infiniti FX35 AWD.Just tried it on the front only.My FX35 came stock with 20 inch wheels. I guess we are stuck with the poorer selection of 18 inch tires, too bad because they are wider and more expensive than the 17s.

JB

Chris92SE
2003 Pathfinder LE

I went out and bought some 17 inch 2005 Maxima wheels off CL and they just barely don't clear the front brakes. I could put the wheels on, but the caliper rubs on the inside part of the wheel.

I think there might be some aftermarket wheels that fit, but I haven't found a good enough deal to make it worth my while.

I have a 92 Maxima, so I am going to use the 17s for that. I got them for $100, so it was still a good deal for me.

Chris92SE
2003 Pathfinder LE

I never have found a definite answer (I still think some 17s might fit), but a few weeks ago I managed to score some Murano wheels with studded Nokian snow tires for a very good price.

I still haven't mounted them, since we have had unseasonably warm weather here in the Northwest. I saw on the news that Portland did not get below freezing at any time in the month of January. We are colder here, but have only had a few traces of snow in the last month or so.

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

Just go with stock or replica 18" FX wheels and throw on some high quality snow tires.

Chris92SE
2003 Pathfinder LE

It's not necessarily the offest, it's the design of the wheels andI think it depends on the thickness of the wheel. The 17s I got have an offset around +35 and I could get them on my FX, but the inside of them rim scraped the top of the brake calipers of the front brakes.

Had I wanted to, I think I could have taken a grinder to my front brake calipers and shaved enough off to get the wheels to clear, but I didn't want to go that route.

Like I said, I think there might be some 17s that will clear the brakes.

As an aside, I have been running the Murano wheels with Nokian Hakkapeliittas this week, since we had several inches of snow (still have it on the ground). Very impressed with these tires.

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”