Anyone into Ketosis? Diet advice

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
wa-chiss
Car: 1990 Nissan S13 H/C KA24E
2005 Toyota Sequoia
1976 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I'm 5' 7", and weigh 250lbs. I'm plenty muscular (I think) as I don't look as if I weigh that much. I would like to loose weight and am trying to plot a course of action or a direction I think would benefit me best. I don't want to rely on supplements designed to "aid in weight loss" as I feel when I reach my goal and stop taking them, my body will react poorly to that. I don't even know if that is a thing that happens, just that it's something I've thought about.

I've been reading a lot about the Keto diet and by far, it's the one that makes the most sense as far as how the body works and what happens when you get to Ketosis. I've also heard people call it Caveman diet. I love meat (proteins) but I also love carbs and sugar (probably why I am where I am today).

Anyone care to share their Keto diet experience or have any advice about it or any Diet they've had success with?

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

You are 5'7 and weigh 250. You should be at 150 with that height.

I tried the Keto diet a long time ago and thought it worked pretty well. I found it pretty hard to get to Ketosis. Personally I don't think you need to. what you need is a life style change. Food high in protein and small amounts of carbs and you will lose weight pretty quick.
The biggest challenge to weight loss is to quit drinking. If you can stop alcohol you will lose weight very quickly.
It's basic math though, burn more calories then you take in.
Good luck man, hope you can make it to your goal.
You can check out the reddit forum as well, https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/

wa-chiss
Car: 1990 Nissan S13 H/C KA24E
2005 Toyota Sequoia
1976 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Yeah, I've looked at my weight for height and I don't see myself getting to that weight. Honestly I just want to loose enough to be happy. Somewhere around 175-180 I think would be my goal. From what I've read, ketosis is just when your body has no sugars/carbs to use as fuel so it starts using fat stores. As long as you keep the carbs and sugars to a minimum, you should be in ketosis. I don't really drink much. Usually takes me a couple weeks to go through a 6 pack. My crutch is cokes, sweet tea, and snacks. I overeat and eat out for lunch most days. I'm really nervous because I dislike most vegetables and LOVE potatoes. I can do salads! As long as I can have a little dressing.

Thank you.
I looked at the reddit forum, lots of inspiring people on there.

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

I've been doing a "light" version of it since Jan. I haven't cut out drinking and probably won't because I enjoy being a drunk....lol

However, I only drink that beer that has 3.2g of carbs per. Ketosis is achieved at under 20g of carbs a day. My intake is slightly more, but I cut out bread, pasta, potatoes and pretty much all junk food. My loss hasn't been fast but it has been steady and I'm down about 18lbs since Jan and still losing. It's a diet I can live with and I haven't changed much else.

Work with your Dr. if you're going full Keto. He'll want to do a UA on you to ensure your kidneys are processing the fat, as Keto can be a little hard on those. Otherwise, enjoy the bacon.

Spawn_2_extreme
Car: 2012 Nissan Versa 1.8S Hatchback ~112000 KM/69593 Miles

I've been doing the keto diet for awhile now. I went from 210 lbs to 150 in about 8 months, would have been faster if I exercised. One thing to note about the keto diet, you will see your energy drop in the first few weeks of changing from a carb based diet to a keto diet, its normal, also some people call it the keto flu. Basically it takes time for your body to get used to using fat as a fuel source. About not liking vegetables, mix them with bacon. I do brussell sprouts with bacon. You will have to experiment with the amount of carbs you can consume, for me it's 20 grams, but my sister can consume upto 50, and still be in ketosis. Sugar will kick you out of ketosis.

People who do keto long term also incorporate intermittent fasting to lose weight. Since your trying to lose weight, limit yourself to 2 meals a day and try to have a eating window of 8 hours. For example eat between 8 AM to 4 PM or 12PM to 8PM.

I dont like cooking so the foods I eat are fast and easy. In the morning I mix 3-4 eggs with baby spinach and 3 pieces of bacon and ~20 grams of flax seed. this is my staple. When I was 210 I did 5 eggs with 5 slices of bacon and spinach.

2nd meal is chicken thighs with skin wrapped with bacon, and use any marinade or spices you want. I eat 2 pieces now, but when I was 210lbs, I'd consume about 3-5 pieces. For vegetables eat broccoli and put some butter on it. Steak with butter and asparagus was another one of my meals. Porkchop with butter and celery sticks and an avocado.

If you like burgers, look for a five guys near you, they've got a lettuce wrap option instead of the bun, you can also make your own burgers, but try to get beef from a butcher, since most stores sell lean or extra lean beef, you want regular ground beef 70/30 or if possible 60/40.

One thing about the keto diet, fiber is a big concern, since you don't get a lot of it, so you gotta add seeds to your diet, flax, chia, even hemp protein.

A tip for weight loss, is in the morning put 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar and 2 tsp of lemon juice, mix in a glass of hot water and drink it.

You should not be hungry on this diet, if your hungry then it means your not eating enough fat, it is very hard to eat too much fat. Also if u miss eating rice or noodles or pasta, look into buying shirataki noodles/pasta or shirataki rice.

If you don't want to eat vegetables with your meals, then make a smoothie, use kale, flax or chia seeds, hemp protein, cucumber, avocado and throw a frozen banana and some blueberries.

Most crucial point with a keto diet, is you must drink enough water, minimum is 8 glasses, but you should aim for 12-14 glasses of water. If you don't like drinking water throw some sliced cucumber and some sliced lemon, or put 2-3 tablespoons of lemon juice in a 1 Litre bottle. 1 Litre = 4 glasses.

Jesda

I go on it whenever I feel my pants getting tighter. It does work and I find myself feeling really great throughout the day. I drink less caffeine but have much more energy.

The only problem is that I now get drunk very quickly, very easily, and hangovers are nasty. You have to stay very hydrated on keto.

Southern Gorilla
Car: 1980 280ZX 2+2

What has worked for me better than anything else I have ever done in my life was when I went full carnivore. For an entire month I ate nothing but fish, game, eggs, and poultry. I dropped thirty pounds in a month and felt like I could one-shot Superman with my left hand. Then peer pressure, apathy, and inconvenience got in the way and I went right back to the standard western diet. I keep making half-hearted attempts to get back on it and keep lapsing into my old ways. It isn't exactly keto since, from what I've seen, keto folks consider protein almost as evil as carbs. But I have never felt better before, or since, that month... not even when I was a serious lifter on a strict bodybuilding diet and sporting a nice, flat belly.

I figure it like this... humans didn't evolve to eat 5-6 small, "balanced" meals every day. Our ancestors went months without eating any vegetation simply because it wasn't available in the middle of winter. So they did what every other carnivore did, gorged themselves on the day's kill and hoped they could do it again in a day or two. I strive to follow that plan. I'll sit down to a plate with a pile of beef, a couple chicken breasts, and a fish filet or two... thousands of calories of pure fat and protein. Then I won't eat again for 24-48 hours, sometimes longer. At least, that's the goal. Like I said, I haven't been very diligent about it lately.

Anyhow, that's my experience and thoughts on the subject.

Loki
Car: 1994 Nissan 240SX Convertible
2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2001 Ford F-150 SVT Lightning

Cut out breads, grains, cereals, sugars, pasta, breads, and all sugar and replace all beverages with plain old water. Then increase exercise. Only eat when actually hungry. Keep meal sizes modest. It'll make a difference.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Southern Gorilla wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:32 pm
keto folks consider protein almost as evil as carbs.
Where did you hear that? That's not accurate at all.

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

darylzero wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:11 pm
You are 5'7 and weigh 250. You should be at 150 with that height.
We really need to throw out the BMI charts, they really don't work for most everyone. An actual doctor will be able to know the difference.

Southern Gorilla
Car: 1980 280ZX 2+2

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:23 am
Southern Gorilla wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:32 pm
keto folks consider protein almost as evil as carbs.
Where did you hear that? That's not accurate at all.
A keto forum I briefly participated on. They preached what I call the Eskimo diet... mostly fat with just "enough" protein. They were convinced any excess protein was just converted to carbs via gluconeogenesis.

Return to “General Chat”