Anyone here have Exp. with Cams in a VG ?

Discuss topics related to the VG and VE series engines.
Und3rprshUr
Car: My 300Z

going to be doing timing belt.. and since i've done almost everything else.. time for some cams.. i'm thinking wild nice flowing but Shootty A$$ idle( kinda worse than it is now with 555cc).. LOL

anyone ?

pylon_boy
Car: Autocrossing

What do you want to know? Do a power search on z31.com and you will find great cam info.

Syntax360
Car: 1986 Nissan 300ZX Turbo

Not to highjack ur thread or anything, but does anyone have any experience with Motorsport Auto's cams? I'm thinking of ordering their stage 1 turbo cam friday (9/19). Thanks!

Und3rprshUr

best cams available i heard for the Z31 are jwt- especially for a turbo z31- try there stage 1's

i want there stage 2's

Porschephile
Car: '98 Maxima

The heads on the Vg30e/et are the most restrictive part of the engine. They just don't flow and are very restrictive for high-end power. Cams along with other head mods can make some huge improvements in power on the VG. I remember talking with someone awhile back about head mods on a Vg and they had mentioned that with a lightened/stronger valve train (stronger valve springs, Ti retainers, oversized valves, etc) and "hot" cams plus a few other mods, you could get the Vg30e to safely rev to 7k. Keep in mind, this was on an n/a Vg30e, and the guy still got 20rwhp! Imagine the increase you could get on a vg30et with similar mods. Plus, all that would help give some actual top-end power to the Vg30. The Vg30 in my Maxima runs out of steam past about 4.5-4.8k once the torque drops off.

mattback
Car: being a big f'ng ricer

a good cam will be something around a 270 duration, shouldn't need too much more than that.. they have other breathing problems to address..

right around .450" lift is the maximum you can do , so you might as well do those.

remember to do new valve springs, yours are probably worn out, and valve float is bad.. You should be safe to like 7200-7300 rpm, but the stock rods aren't meant to handle it under full boost!

twinturbo rods / pistons are the best bet for you to do this kind of disaster.

you may have to talk to isky about heavier duty valve springs as well.

Und3rprshUr

what do you think the limit is on the stock rods for power ??

im prolly pushing the button on em-

Right now my limiter is at 6400rpm.

pylon_boy
Car: Autocrossing

doh! I just realized taht I told you to do a pwoer search. sorry about that.

When ken breaks his motor you will know the limit. lol

Mad510Guy

I had Ed Iskenderian do a custom grind for my na vg30e. I am using all stock valve springs and valves with a mild port (just cleaning the rough areas). I also am running 11.5 to 1 JE Pistons. The engine is in a 2100 lb car so I was willing to sacrifice a little bottom end. Anyways he sent me 465 lift and 270 duration cams and I am very pleased. The car pulls hard from 2500 to the 7400 rpm rev limiter. The stock engine is good for 8000 rpm with the exception of the oil pump drive system which tends to shatter at sustained rpms above 7500. Nismo sells a hardened gear set for about $250 for the oil pump. Hope this info is helpful!

Blinocac200sx
Car: My Nissan

In my experience, getting your own cams custom ground by a local shop is by far the best way to go in price, and in getting a profile that best suites your desires. I got mine done for $75 by a local shop, and got a grind that nobody has preground.

Return to “VG30 / VE30 Forum”