Anyone have a S/C yet???

Discuss topics related to the VQ series engine.
jtesensky
Vendor
Car: 2005 QX56, 2002 QX4

Just wondering if anyone has a supercharger on their 350 yet? How is it? Where did you get it? Any true dyno's yet?

nlzmo400r
Car: cars

i think people are more interested in turbo's for the 35o, i know atleast i am (and no i dont have a 35o) but since GREddy showed the world its easily capable of turboing a Z, i think more popel will go that route

jtesensky
Vendor

Yeah I read that Motor Trend, 0-60 stock= 5.64, GReddy 0-60=4.61 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

nlzmo400r

yea, what a jump, and for a very small amount of boost thats amazing results, the quickest o-6o ive read for a stock 35oZ is 5.2seconds, although most say 5.4 and the quickest 1/4 ive seen for a stock one is 13.8 although most say 14.1

jtesensky
Vendor

I remember they said like 5.6 psi of boost! They should push that up a little. They also said the thing was $6,000!! twin Mitsu's.....

ullose2
Car: women money cars

stillen makes a s/c for the 350z dont no anything about it though

nlzmo400r

yes stillen does have a supercharger kit for the 35o ,i believe it comes with some kind of warranty or something as well, personally i just like the idea of two mitsu turbo's better, and especially if its only at 5.4psi of boost, crank that up to about 1olbs or so, and then we'll get some great numbers

jtesensky
Vendor

Turbo is the way to go, no doubt (remember the magical 10 HP per $100.00!!!!)

nlzmo400r

haha, i dunno about turbo being 'the way to go' personally its what i would try, but a supercharger is known for the ability to make power at lower rpms, and the vq35de only revs to 66oo or so, and thats in the Z and G, the Altima and Max rev to 64oo or so

Nitro-C5

nlzmo400r wrote:haha, i dunno about turbo being 'the way to go' personally its what i would try, but a supercharger is known for the ability to make power at lower rpms, and the vq35de only revs to 66oo or so, and thats in the Z and G, the Altima and Max rev to 64oo or so

Has any one put one of these S/C on a FX35 yet???

nlzmo400r

welcome to NICo nitro-c5, also, id really like some pics of your car (if u do really have a c-5) or you could post pics up in the readers ride section, and no, i havent heard anytalks about these superchargers or anyhting being on any of hte SUV's as of yet, but someone's bound to try it

Nitro-C5

nlzmo400r wrote:welcome to NICo nitro-c5, also, id really like some pics of your car (if u do really have a c-5) or you could post pics up in the readers ride section, and no, i havent heard anytalks about these superchargers or anyhting being on any of hte SUV's as of yet, but someone's bound to try it

I guess I'll put it up in the readers ride section as well...and yes, you "might" say I have a C5. Just shot it for cover of Corvette Fever Mag.

nlzmo400r

holy **** dude, those rims are sexy, that is one bad *** corvette u have there, great to have you on the site, i hope u find everyone here very helpful and informative, also, i have to ask, is your car a stick or auto?

Onizuka
Car: 91 coupe w/s13 SR20DET 89 hatch w/s14 SR20DE

The stillen supercharger kit is cheaper and produces more power than the greddy turbo kit. And its carb legal.

nlzmo400r

so all in all that is a good buy

Projex240
Car: Dogs , My RIDE

the warranty covers the motor and the supercharger....get greddy to agree to those terms.....yeah right. and 6000 bucks is alot of money to make 335 at the wheels or so. Dont get me wrong, I love turbos- had a good many turbo cars, but superchargers make very good power, and no lag, much less complication, and much less heat under the hood. Like somone said already, turbos are great for high revs and high end hp, but thats not the 350z's strog siut, good fatty powerband, and tqband. Take advantage of what nissan engineers did very well. Did i mention that the warranty is just unreal? warranty on your motor????Awesome...Dealers will install it.....even more awesome. pricetag thats not 6000.00=priceless.You give me 6 grand, and ill build a 350z to blow that greddy twin turbo off the damn road. Something that is seriously wrong with the greddy kit also is the fact that you are supposed to run through a stock exhaust(aftermarket one isnt in the kit). Almost all turbo tuners know that the best combo for a turbo exhaust is the bigger the better. the 2.5 stock exhuast with 2 precats and 2 cats and two mufflers...aiint gonna cut it. I think at that point the turbo lag would be pretty bad, and the turbos would have backpressure causing heat. It seems a little funny. So then tack on the cost of an exhaust and you are talking around 7500 bucks. with no warranty, and probably some ecu codes to boot due to the free flow that the ecu isnt programmed for. E-manage? I dont think i want to replace a 35000 dollar cars ecu with a greddy e-manage. Too many variables there.The stillen supercharger on the other hand has its ups and downs as well. The main downside I see is that stillen chose a roots style blower(top-mount), instead of a centrifugal charger.While the roots blower may have a great low end grunt, it doesnt usually show the same thermal efficieny as the centrif. stlye s/c. The Centrif. style has much better top end response. Another downside is that the supercharger setup, while most would say just as effiecient as turbos, tkaes power to make power. Well, yes and no. Yes, S/c use blower pulleys to create their power, but with the advance design of new s/c kits, they are very easily turned, much like the newer dual ball bearing turbos. The guys who say that turbo use only exhaust gas to make the power..this is true, but they are a retriction in the exhaust path. EVERYTHING tkaes power to make power. Third downside is the fact the you have to cut and modify your hood, or buy one pre-made and then have it painted.Sorry to go on and on...just my 47638 cents ( about 476.38 bucks worth)

nlzmo400r

i too think its a bit pricey, but just the thought of a 35oZ with turbo opwer is just awesome all around, sure superchargers have their advantages, but right now, 'turbo's are a big thing, and 8/1o people will take one over a supercharger just becaues they can say they have a 'turbo'

JDM
Car: Import Cars, Powerlifting

I'd rather have a supercharger. Doent the kit even come with a new hood?

nlzmo400r

i didnt read about a new hood, im sure itis possible that it would reqiure one though

s13sr20chris
Car: nissans

i saw the tech next to me install a supercharger in the owners 350z. it was not stillen. it was some other brand. also, it was a centrifugal blower. the kit sucked. every single part had to be modified in some way to fit in the car. the intercooler was tiny and had a poor design to it. the fuel control is just more fuel pressure from an inline pump. the car is running way rich(black soot everywhere). the supercharger is way loud. i have heard many superchargers in my day, but this is so loud its rediculous. i have not driven it but i hear its very fast. still, i would want some kind of turbo setup.

nlzmo400r

well from the sounds of it, atleast a better designned kit for the car

jEzTeR
Car: 07 FX35 - 02 Altima 3.5se - 93 240sx Hatch

There are 2 differant S/C kits out now.One that mounts on top and requires a new hood and another one that fits to the side where the stock intake and air box is.I will get back to you with the name brands and HP quotes.

jEzTeR

The Dream Works Racing SST Aqua Cooled Super Charger System for the 350Z / G35 / FX-35.

* Eaton 90 Roots type Supercharger* Power output of approximately 400 hp at the crank shaft* Dual water to air intercoolers* Dual Auxiliary injectors* Stainless steel braded fuel hoses* High volume fuel rails* Full length intake runners* Off throttle bypass* ECU Upgrade* No hood or body modifications* Construction is of lightweight cast aluminum* Dream Works SST systems have a 3 year / 36,000 mile limited power-train warranty (warranty serviced by authorized Dream Works / Nissan / Infiniti Dealers.* 50 State emissions legal with standard Boost* Boost capabilities up to 12 PSI with internal engine modifications.

y, the kit is 50 state legal and has its own fuel mangement system.

jEzTeR

nlzmo400r

yea, ive read about these, tahnks for the updates jexter, i must say the 5ostate legalness and such turns me on to the idea

booger
Car: modding the G

J-Spec Tuner wrote:The stillen supercharger kit is cheaper and produces more power than the greddy turbo kit. And its carb legal.
NO WAY the Stillen makes that HP...They claim 60HP gain thats it..Greddy is around a 115hp to the wheels .Where did you get that info from ?

booger

Does any one have a link or address to dreamworks ? I have been researching Procharger and Vortech for a supercharger and would like to look at this system too. Pro..& vortech both have there ups and downs and want to make best decision before I plop down 6 to 8 grand

vq35de
Car: G35 Sedan Leather 6MT

stillen's version without intercooler made 60 hp, with intercooler (now available) it will make well over 100 hp and is CARB cert.

So far this is all we have on the dreamworkes/alpine S/C: http://dreamworkesracing.com/c...=News

Good luck and make sure YOU PERSONALLY know the exact a/f ratios on your car and how to monitor while driving. If you cannot figure this out yourself, don't supercharge this motor.

detonation (we think) due to changing climatic conditions from spring to winter has failed at least 5 engines in the last month. 3 on my350z.com and a couple I have heard about thru the grapevine. You have to be able to recognize on your own when your car needs to be retuned and it is fairly frequent.

Many S/C owners are not driving their cars until they figure out what happened.

booger

vq35de wrote:stillen's version without intercooler made 60 hp, with intercooler (now available) it will make well over 100 hp and is CARB cert.

So far this is all we have on the dreamworkes/alpine S/C: http://dreamworkesracing.com/c...=News

Good luck and make sure YOU PERSONALLY know the exact a/f ratios on your car and how to monitor while driving. If you cannot figure this out yourself, don't supercharge this motor.

detonation (we think) due to changing climatic conditions from spring to winter has failed at least 5 engines in the last month. 3 on my350z.com and a couple I have heard about thru the grapevine. You have to be able to recognize on your own when your car needs to be retuned and it is fairly frequent.

Many S/C owners are not driving their cars until they figure out what happened.
thanks for the info .I will keep in mind your suggestion. Will surely would add on fuel management and timing controller .Learning more every time I read posts from guys that have had problems and also know how this stuff works. The tuner I am using has worked with vortech for a long time ...but this cars is different as far as adding mods and fi....again thanks

vq35de
Car: G35 Sedan Leather 6MT

good luck boogieman.

errr.....booger :)

When (if) I get my F/I, I will invest in a MAP sensor, A/F meter and fuel pressure BEFORE I install it and run it for a few months to see what my car is running stock.

Hardest part is finding mounting locations. I think I got it set for my Oil Press, Water Temp and Ammeter cluster I bought but next couple are gonna be hard without a gage pod. And I really don't like gage pods

Return to “VQ30DE / VQ35DE / VQ35HR Forum”