Anyone had to do gallery gaskets? P0021/P0524

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
spoons22
Car: 2011 M37x
Technology Package

Has anyone had to do the gallery gaskets on there M37/Q70? My car today wouldn’t rev itself over 2500 RPM, bogging down and losing power if accelerating past those RPMs. It threw the codes P0021 and P0524 as well P0456. Doing research there’s a bunch of videos diagnosing the first two codes as potentially and most likely the gallery gasket leaking. The third code I found a service bulletin from Infiniti relating it to an o-ring defect on the EVAP. I was wondering if anyone had any success doing this on their Y51. I have a 2011 M37x with 230,000 miles so it’s reasonable to assume those gaskets are shot or the screws have loosened.

Yoda's Master
Car: 2012 M56
2009 370z

search for the g37 galley gasket repair video on youtube. it's about an hour long.

Mickey917
Car: Infiniti M35H

I was really interested by buying a G37 over the M when I wanted to replace my Accord, and I read a lot about galley gasket issue. The issue was resolve in 2012 with new galley gasket material. So given that you got a 2011, and given that it’s the same engine : yes it is possible.

Like Yoda said it should be close to a G. But I think it takes a lot more than one hour !!! :)

Yoda's Master
Car: 2012 M56
2009 370z

Yes it does take a long longer than an hour to do. I've been lucky that my 09 370z is still good, but I have bought all the parts and am prepared to fix the issue.

btw, the new 2012 gasket still fails. i went non oem.

bocian320
Car: 2012 M37S (hopefully)

I've had the pleasure of replacing those gaskets in my 09 G37. The symptoms you describe are exactly what I had. My 09 G had the paper gaskets which is why they blew. I'm guess that when they upped the displacement to 3.7 from 3.5, no one thought to upgraded those gaskets. Only after a few years of this issue did they upgrade them. The new ones were reinforced with metal. Back then, G owners used to use a magnet to make sure they bought the redesigned gaskets.
I put over 100k on my G with the new gaskets and no issues. Luckily my M is a 2012 so it shouldn't be an issue, "shouldn't" being the operatives word. But if it happens again, I'd like to think I'm well prepared.
The motors are identically so the procedure will be the same with the exception of removing all the components to get to the timing cover itself although that shouldn't vary too much either. Check out myg37.com there is a ton of info on this exact issue. If you've ever changed a timing belt then this is a walk in the park although it is extremely time consuming. If you're doing it yourself, give it the better part of the whole day.
Interesting note: back when I did this, infiniti dealers did NOT sell these gaskets themselves but instead the entire back timing belt cover which is 100% pointless and a lot more work to replace. Not to mention much more expensive. Nissan does sell just the gaskets. I looked up a 2009 370z on autotrader and took down the vin. Gave it to a nissan dealer and got the gaskets that way. It's the exact same motor so it all works. I ended up changing the timing belt tensioners, guides and water pumps while I was in there. I left the chain and had no issues when I sold the car with 190k miles (gaskets blew out at around 90k)
Hit me up if you need some additional info. Sucks to see this happen even in the M

spoons22
Car: 2011 M37x
Technology Package

I was able to delete the codes and do an ECU reset and it was able to rev through like normal. I drove it for a little bit before realizing there still wasn't something right. I thought I would go do an oil pressure test than. Turns out the placement of the oil sensor isn't as easily accessible on the M engine than it is on the G so I had a mechanic run an oil pressure test on the car. He called me back and said they ran them at all temps and revs according the the FSM and they all came back good, so they couldn't see an issue. Told him about the codes I got and they came back and said they drove it a bit more and it went into that fail safe mode rev limitation. Suggest the fail safe mode caused by the cam code (P0021 B2) Said they tested the solenoid and got no response from it. Said it "likely will need variable valve timing sprocket bank 2 intake. Recommend replacement of both intake valve timing control solenoid valve, timing chains and tensioners. Otherwise, recommend engine replacement."
They quoted me around the same price for either option, between $3500-3800. The engine he found was around 140,000. My engine currently has 230,000. Its been a great car. Worried about putting the 5-7k into it and watching it turn into rust bucket. Has spent its life in the northeast and the rear subframe is starting to get crusty now.
Has anyone had experience doing an engine swap themselves on the M37/Q70? Many options ahead to look at. Currently looking at similar model Ms with low miles or Lexus G350s as replacements. Or in the interim go cheap and get a 15yo camry to bounce around in until it s*** the bed.

Kosta89
Car: 2012 Infiniti m37x

I just had the same issue and it turned out to be an intake valve solenoid.
It's a 2012 m37x with 185KM, cost 500 CAD

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”