Anyone ever have to replace the hard drive?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
lardog
Car: G35

I'm referring to the Audio/Nav hard drive.

I'm wondering what the cost would be for replacement, and how reliable they are.

SwissCheeseHead
Car: 11 M37x, 94 BMW 530i

Reason for replacement? Are you out of warranty?

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

I could find no threads about replacing the HD. I reckon the HD is as reliable as the rest of the car, which is to say, very reliable. I have heard the rare instance of replacing the NAV screen or the CD player, but only due to a failure of that particular part.
I am not a fan of buying extra warranties for TV's, washers, dryers, or personal electronics cuz by the time they break, I don't want them repaired - there is a newer, better version I want to buy. However, I have said many times that when buying a car like ours with all the techno and electrical complicated gizmos, one should NOT hesitate to get a good, full-coverage warranty. One failed part like the NAV, BCM, engine, or transmission trouble and you just got paid back.

lardog

SwissCheeseHead wrote:Reason for replacement? Are you out of warranty?
No, I've had no issues. I was just wondering because a spinning hard drive in a car doesn't seem to me to be a good idea (better if it was solid state - which some of the newer cars have). But by the lack of responses, it appears they are reliable - a good thing.

wideopn11
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x Moonlight White

Takeda CAI
Stillen exhaust w/ MeganRacing Y-pipe
SCALE coilovers 16K/10K F/R
Akebono BBK
Cusco strutbar
25mm spacers F/R
Uprev tune by seymore4

Yeah never heard of an issue. I'm sure Infiniti has the hardware and drivers locked down pretty tight so it's not like replacing a HD on your desktop PC.

securityguy
Car: 2012 M37x

You would have to replace the entire headend unit. I doubt the HD is a serviceable part.

lardog

I found on "http://www.infinitipartszone.com"

that the AV control assembly = $4600 (just the hardware, no labor obviously). WoW!

Just the display screen (not included in the above) is $1k!

No wonder why the Certified warranty doesn't cover audio equipment.

Larz

Exactly my point, Lardog ! The CPO program at Infiniti is very limited with regard to what it covers. The Elite warranty covers more items, but is still not all that much more than engine and drivetrain - two areas of coverage that are no doubt MOST needed.

Infiniti could never come close matching my warranty through CarMax, nor could they if they wanted to. CarMax sold 500,000 cars last year and that number will grow larger every year indefinitely. Infiniti sold a little more than 100,000 new vehicles in 2013. They build extremely reliable cars with great precision and quality, but they cannot afford to provide a warranty like CarMax because they are not in the same business as CarMax, nor do they sell all brands of cars.

The catch is this. To buy a used Infiniti at at CarMax, first you need to find one. They get tons of G models, but not many M models and the M's they get don't stay on the lot very long unless they are high mileage. You have to be patient and keep checking back on the website every few days until you find the M you want. Then you might need to have that M transported (not driven) to your local CarMax at a very reasonable, but non-refundable cost. You don't have to actually buy it after it arrives, but you won't get the transfer fee refunded or applied to the purchase of a different car as they actually pay a transport company to move the car and you are basically paying the discounted rate charged to CarMax.

The only item I've found so far that is NOT covered on my warranty is the headlamp. They cover it ONLY due to failure of parts, not for moisture leaks, lens deterioration, or any other problems. The rest of my car (including all electronics, suspension, steering, A/C, sunroof, entertainment system, etc is covered with NO deductible at CarMax (a $50-100 deductible at the Infiniti dealership) up to a total of 150,000 miles or 60 months from my date of purchase (NOT from the original in-service date). The cost on my 2009 M was just over $2000 for this 'MaxCare' warranty. If I am honest, I must also add that used M's at CarMax are slightly higher in price than at Infiniti dealers so I reckon that higher sale price plus price of the warranty brings the cost closer to $3000.

That is why I strongly suggest NEVER to buy a new Infiniti (resale value and quick depreciation) and to buy a used Infiniti at CarMax if possible.

****EDIT****
I removed the bit about Infiniti not covering headlamps - that was based on a member reporting that info, but clearly that was not correct. Sorry for the misinformation. It's always best to check directly with your warranty provider for coverages of specific parts.

DoN_BLaZe34
Car: 2007 M45 Sport - Sold
2006 FX45 - Traded
2014 Q70S 5.6 - Sold
2017 Q70L 5.6 - Current

Not sure I agree with you Larz, I had my headlight replaced by Infiniti on my M45 when they developed spots on them. Mind you I did not purchase my vehicle or my Elite warranty from them.

Larz

DoN_BLaZe34 wrote:Not sure I agree with you Larz, I had my headlight replaced by Infiniti on my M45 when they developed spots on them. Mind you I did not purchase my vehicle or my Elite warranty from them.
Thank you Don! My post has been edited. Congrats on the Q70! IMHO the Q70 has the best front end of any M-size model.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I thought Elite was bumper to bumper? If I go in there and they deny me coverage on something electrical, when I'm under the elite protection...HEADS. WILL. ROLL. Infiniti HQ will hear about that so fast it'll make their (the dealer) heads spin.

Mjkkb2
Car: 2018 QX60 AWD, 2011 M37S, 2011 Quest, 2001 I30t(sold)

It is not, but it is as close as it gets. It is much more than the power train coverage. The only exclusions are maintenance items, leaks, rattles, wind noise, belts, hoses, bulbs.
I have no experience with MaxCare, but would venture a guess that it lists similar exclusions to Elite coverage.

After many praises by Larz, I am intrigued enough and plan on looking into MaxCare coverage and comparing with Elite.

DoN_BLaZe34
Car: 2007 M45 Sport - Sold
2006 FX45 - Traded
2014 Q70S 5.6 - Sold
2017 Q70L 5.6 - Current

Larz wrote:
DoN_BLaZe34 wrote:Not sure I agree with you Larz, I had my headlight replaced by Infiniti on my M45 when they developed spots on them. Mind you I did not purchase my vehicle or my Elite warranty from them.
Thank you Don! My post has been edited. Congrats on the Q70! IMHO the Q70 has the best front end of any M-size model.
Not a problem sir! And thank you!!

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”