Anyone else have a hard clunk in the rear suspension

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
ICSAMERICA
Car: 2006 M45 lux

My 2006 M45 Lux has a hard banging clunk when going over certain bumps. It happens over all bumps if I'm accelerating while going over the bump. I took it to the dealer and they tried to fix it but after replacing many parts the noise is still their. They drove a few of their other M45 cars that they had in stock and they all make the noise. I personally heard it in an m45 Sport they use as a demo and they told me the M35 they drove makes the noise too.

Is anyone else hearing this noise?

The dealer agrees something is not right and has had my car for three weeks.

I've had a stalling problem too. I love the car but it's not what I expected.

TXSJaybird

ICS,

Bummer man. I havent heard of any of these problems with my M45 sport.

The closest I DO have is a rattling in the front area. Its more like "light thuds" when im going under 20mph on bumps.

Im going in to the dealer soon, gonna ask them about that. Anyone have similar noise?

How long have you had the car? Any chance they would swap it? 3 weeks is WAAAY to long!!

Dozer42
Car: Infiniti M45 Sport, Mercedes AMG SLK55

No such problems in my M45 Sport as far as I can tell (and I'm a picky bast).

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

First we have heard about this. That is indeed a bummer ... to be out of driving the M45 for 3 weeks!

I would strongly suggest calling Infiniti Corporate - they are very responsive to direct calls from their car purchasers. Particularly in a situation like you are experiencing!

Z

1993TanJ30
Car: 1993 J30

I agree go to the top!!!

You don't pay $50K to hear bumps, and have a car that STALLS - no way call up corporate Infiniti, I'm sure they'll take care of you - they better!

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

1993TanJ30 wrote:I agree go to the top!!!

You don't pay $50K to hear bumps, and have a car that STALLS - no way call up corporate Infiniti, I'm sure they'll take care of you - they better!
Tell that to Mercedes owners!!! Maybe someday theyll see the light?

1993TanJ30
Car: 1993 J30

Haha Why are MB dealerships extremely bad or good in this department?

I really hope the guys gets taken care of - if not that's BS... Man, if I ever paid $50k for the car - and there was ANY problems, I don't care I would be at that dealer the same day, houding them to get the problem corrected ASAP, as well give me a badass rental until the work is done!

$50,000 is so much money, they should take care of all your needs. Please let us know how you make out!

TXSJaybird

ICS,

I have this problem after all. I guess I didnt notice it at first.

The strange thing is it only "HITS" if I am accelerating. Just coasting over the exact same bumps(ive tried) doesnt do it.

So, if it hits (clunks hard) only on acceleration, what could it be??

You car/tranny experts please chime in....

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Sounds like what old-school hot-rodders called "axle wrap".

But an M shouldn't have that based on its suspension design.

That's gonna be a hard one to replicate in a static state, too.

larry.contrisciano
Car: Infiniti M35 sport 06' and Acura TL 04'

Hi,

When I was taking home the M35 sport, the first day from the dealership, I remember hearing a thud in the rear end over slight bumps... I meant to have the dealer look at it, but I guess the sound went away, because I never followed up on it. Right now I have about 650 miles on it.

I'll let you know if it comes back.

PS: this could be really lame... but could it be something as simple as a loose spare in the trunk well?

tkeskic
Car: 2006 M35x Premium with "Aero Package" + 2010 QX56 AWD 7 Seat/Premium + 2007 MB ML320cdi

I once had a sound that seems to be the same as what some people a re describing here in my Camaro 1996 - after 1 and a half years I finally solved the problem, and it turned out to be the under coating; If (and it was) sprayed on some rubber parts under the car, it started to eat away at them, and some parts of the suspension would then cause this noise;

To give you an idea of the parts that were replaced before we got to the $5 rubber part...Transmission repaced 2x, Drive shaft balancing then a new one, ALL new rear suspension parts, new rims, new trunk and hinges, Muffler replaced (all of it!) Torsion bar and the rear diff, rebuilt once, replaced another - and likly some I dont even recall;

I'm by no means an expert, but thought I would offer my two cents as it seems like it could be the same type of issue. problem existed on acceleration, stopping, speed humps, and mostly left turns.

All involved (myself included) were convinced this was a suspension problem. I couldnt beliuve my ears after we changed the rubber parts in the rear end that were coated with the tar/under coating. It was night and day...

anyway, just a thought... I've not got a M35x and have not heard this noise, (and I did the undercoating) - however I only have 168km on the car as of today....

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

Does someone have a diagram of the rear suspension in these cars? I can take a look and see if something stands out.

SCOOTER240
Car: 1990 240sx sr20 black top

a common problem that i have seen on most models is with the sway bar end links-that is a popping noise that can be heard over most bumps-the other possibility is the rubber connectors that they have started using again-that may cause a thump if that rubber is alowed to move excessively-other than that i have seen no probs with the m-great cars

good luck

larry.contrisciano
Car: Infiniti M35 sport 06' and Acura TL 04'

Gents,

I said my sound went away on the M35 sport, it is now back, pretty strong.

Is there a way this can be generated up to Nissan HQ so they can start a recall notice? Because it seems the dealers can't find anything wrong.

szh

larry.contrisciano wrote:Gents,

I said my sound went away on the M35 sport, it is now back, pretty strong.

Is there a way this can be generated up to Nissan HQ so they can start a recall notice? Because it seems the dealers can't find anything wrong.
I would definitely call Infiniti Corporate on this! If the problem is clearly evident, then it should be something that needs to be dealt with. I do not have the number handy, but it may be listed in your Owner's Manual ... I am not at a place where I can look.

Z

TXSJaybird

Im going to the dealer again next week, curious to see if enough owners have brought this up that they will now recognize it.

I cant tell you how tired I am of hearing "we couldnt replicate the problem sir"

jimlew

I have the same problem in my M45 Lux......I personally think it is the traction control that is doing it. When you accelerate while you are going over a hump in the road, the tire loses contact with the ground and the TCS kicks in and grabs the spinning wheel causing the clunk. I noticed the noise is louder when I really floor it versus just pushing it a little and then it is not as pronounced.

What do you think?

szh

jimlew wrote:I have the same problem in my M45 Lux......I personally think it is the traction control that is doing it. When you accelerate while you are going over a hump in the road, the tire loses contact with the ground and the TCS kicks in and grabs the spinning wheel causing the clunk. I noticed the noise is louder when I really floor it versus just pushing it a little and then it is not as pronounced.
Welcome to NICO!

An interesting possibility! Have you tried disabling the TCS and seeing if you hear the same thing? On my 2003 M45, the TCS can be turned off with a switch on the console left of the steering ... does the 2006 M have that switch?

Z

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”