Anyone been locked out with engine running?

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
98_Q45

Craziest thing happened to me today: don’t judge but I got out the car to put in my 3 gallons of gas that only takes 1 minute to pump. I specifically unlocked all doors before exiting. I close fuel door. To my dismay: I’m LOCKED OUT of every door. Car running, a/c on.

I almost died couldn’t believe it. Luckily AAA came along: over an hour and multiple dispatches later. When I finally drove off, I had a trail of blue exhaust smoke for like 2 miles. But no rising of the temperature gauge. I try to mind the environment by not idling excessively in the first place.

This has only happened to me once on a Nissan Maxima, but that is the most asinine s*** ever! Did closing the fuel door somehow cause the doors to lock? Next time I’ll do what I always NORMALLY do and roll a window down if I have to exit the car while running. My phone, wallet and everything was in there.

I felt stupid but, I don’t feel it was totally my fault considering the doors locked without my input. My Maxima still does that once in a blue, and after being locked out in 10 degree weather when I went to wipe snow off years ago, I never ever trusted closing the door with the engine on ever again.

Is this some type of car jacking preventative? lol

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You don't say what year your Max is, but it sounds like you may have a bad lock cylinder switch in the driver's door. When those switches go bad they often start "falsing" and can result in mystery window roll-downs on older models, in addition to mystery door-locking on any year. We don't trust any of them, when we roll a car into the repair bay the first action is always to drop the driver's window.

98_Q45

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:36 pm
You don't say what year your Max is, but it sounds like you may have a bad lock cylinder switch in the driver's door. When those switches go bad they often start "falsing" and can result in mystery window roll-downs on older models, in addition to mystery door-locking on any year. We don't trust any of them, when we roll a car into the repair bay the first action is always to drop the driver's window.
This actually happened on the Q45 today, the Maxima was years ago but will still do it at random. It’ll also trip the alarm (on the Maxima) every so often when I open the door, even though the doors weren’t locked to begin with.

Both are same year, but first time the Q has done this. It usually always unlocks itself if trying to lock it while key is in ignition. I think it was something supernatural lol.

But the Q has a history of airbag light blinking that stopped going away after fixing it once. So maybe it is a switch technically…I’ll keep an eye on it and see.

I know with my Maxima, it HAS locked itself upon closing the drivers door with me inside from time to time, but I don’t let it lock me out again.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

98_Q45 wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:16 pm
Both are same year, but first time the Q has done this. It usually always unlocks itself if trying to lock it while key is in ignition. I think it was something supernatural lol.
That behavior will be different depending on the doors, the ignition, and the vehicle software. With doors closed and the ignition on, the SEC/BCM on most models thinks you're inside the vehicle and it's okay to lock up. Most of the older systems don't discriminate between a lock signal coming from the inside switch, cylinder, or fob, so that's probably what happened to you at the gas pump. With doors open or closed and the ignition off, the SEC/BCM assumes you're outside the car. In that case the key shouldn't be left inserted, so if it is, the SEC/BCM won't let it lock.

macgiver

I've invested in both break-away keychain , and key in magnetic slide-box ...........somewhere .

fontana dan
Car: 1997 Infiniti Q45

Wow that sucks hahaha. Has to be some kind of fluke. Thanks for the reminder that I need a spare key.
But I agree with VStar, never trust it. ESPECIALLY late model Ford vehicles for some reason they will get you. I remember having a F150 lockout with engine running in bay 1 just 10 minutes before closing shop.

98_Q45

fontana dan wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:23 pm
Wow that sucks hahaha. Has to be some kind of fluke. Thanks for the reminder that I need a spare key.
But I agree with VStar, never trust it. ESPECIALLY late model Ford vehicles for some reason they will get you. I remember having a F150 lockout with engine running in bay 1 just 10 minutes before closing shop.
Right! For me the best solution is window down before closing any door with the key inside. I know people say “don’t ever do that”, but sometimes I just need $5 in gas and when it’s 95 degrees outside, just want to hop in/hop out without having the A/C and DVD head unit restart every time.

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

You put gas in your car with the engine running???????

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

BadQ45t wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:45 pm
There's nothing wrong with doing that, except, on most models from '13 up, you'll screw up the DTE (Distance To Empty) reading on your dashboard. The Evap Vent Valve is open while running, so you won't be sending fumes into the air or anything like that. They'll be vented normally into the canister.

98_Q45

BadQ45t wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:45 pm
lol I mean…pretty much. Having changed the fuel pump, there’s a long plastic tube to the fuel tank. And the engine is far from it. Granted if I’m filling up to stop I usually turn it off, but if I’m just jumping out to add a few gallons, I might not.

Not condoning anything, but just saying lol. I mean, the idea that it’s going to explode while running just isn’t possible. And I “think” (this is just hypothetical thinking) I’ve seen or heard of jet planes running while being refueled…And in fact: even being refueled mid-air during emergencies. So…can’t be THAT risky lol.

But of course, there’s always someone who messes it up for everyone (and maybe I did by getting locked out lol). In fact: I would say it’s more dangerous to walk away from the pump while it’s going with the engine off (which I see many people do), then to stand holding it with the engine on.

One, run the risk of forgetting to put it back and drive off, two the risk of static shock. But if just stepping out to pump for a sex with the engine going, not too bad. I especially do it in winter if I’m just getting started and need to fill up while the engine warms up. I once had a Buick that would not stop the pump…idk why, but couple times there was fuel gushing from the tank when I walked away while it was filling. Of course that was back in the early 2000s when gas was only $1.50ish a gallon. This $3 s*** is pure HELL owning an older vehicle with only 15-20 mpg City/highway + air conditioning. And I’m actually paying $4 if I follow the sticker saying premium fuel only lol :inout:

Back to topic; since then the issue has not been replicated. I still don’t know how it happened other than it must have locked when I closed the fuel tank.

fontana dan
Car: 1997 Infiniti Q45

I usually pump with the engine running and I don't leave it unattended because I wouldn't want someone to steal the car.
I used to work at a fleet operation and saw a number of "drive-offs" with the nozzle still inserted. Not pretty. Best way to avoid that is to not re-enter the car while you are pumping.
Do y'all actually use premium 91 exclusively? I cannot notice any difference between filling the car with 87, 89, or 91.

98_Q45

fontana dan wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:01 am
I usually pump with the engine running and I don't leave it unattended because I wouldn't want someone to steal the car.
I used to work at a fleet operation and saw a number of "drive-offs" with the nozzle still inserted. Not pretty. Best way to avoid that is to not re-enter the car while you are pumping.
Do y'all actually use premium 91 exclusively? I cannot notice any difference between filling the car with 87, 89, or 91.

Just catching this: but yes, I seen someone at shell drive off from the pump while still attached. Some kids but: it was a bit of a scare lol.

With these gas prices: I’m trying to avoid premium IF i can, and I’ll do midgrade. Will add regular on occasion too.

What I’ll do most time, is midgrade on one fill and premium on another. But then 87 if I just want to get the low price to get me 3/4 tank, and then pay with cash or card like $20 to top it off with premium. Or Vice versa:

I know you don’t always “feel” a difference, but the fact it says “premium unleaded only” on the speedometer and the gas door and another reference in the manual specifying 91+: makes me feel it’s probably a good reason why. They don’t necessarily explain it well in the owners manual either, except for it could damage your engine. But not sure exactly what. Maybe it’s more of a cumulative effect versus a here and there thing. But I definitely don’t feel right running it on regular exclusively.

At the same time, these gas prices are horrendous and 50-75 cents extra for premium seems small but: it shows up with less gas. There’s been times premium gas has given me 2-4 gallons less than what I would have paid in regular.

My Maxima on the other hand, says premium fuel “recommended” for maximum performance.

Q45-V8
Car: 1993 forest green Q45

Yes. Around two years ago around march or april I was visiting my parents in MA, and driving my 93 Q45. There was a large leaf stuck in the wiper and i kept forgetting to clear it.
I stopped at an intersection and stepped out, cleared the leaf, the door shut and locked all doors.

I was pretty upset. Cars began to stop behind me and not move, had to stand in the road and direct people to drive around. One couple in a truck stopped and lended me their iphone because mine was locked in the car. So i called aaa but of COURSE i was on hold for literally a half hour and eventually disconnected, so frustrated as hell, i gave up. Thankfully, the guy was a contractor and had some building materials including some long shims and such, he taped a few of them to the end of a paint roller handle, and was able to get it in the sunroof since it was tilted, and was able to tap the power door lock to get it open. I will not ever exit the vehicle again with engine running unless a window is down.

98_Q45

Q45-V8 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:50 pm
Yes. Around two years ago around march or april I was visiting my parents in MA, and driving my 93 Q45. There was a large leaf stuck in the wiper and i kept forgetting to clear it.
I stopped at an intersection and stepped out, cleared the leaf, the door shut and locked all doors.

I was pretty upset. Cars began to stop behind me and not move, had to stand in the road and direct people to drive around. One couple in a truck stopped and lended me their iphone because mine was locked in the car. So i called aaa but of COURSE i was on hold for literally a half hour and eventually disconnected, so frustrated as hell, i gave up. Thankfully, the guy was a contractor and had some building materials including some long shims and such, he taped a few of them to the end of a paint roller handle, and was able to get it in the sunroof since it was tilted, and was able to tap the power door lock to get it open. I will not ever exit the vehicle again with engine running unless a window is down.
OMG! That’s wild…middle of intersection lol. I actually jumped out the car once at an intersection in Palm Springs after some chick went too fast on a dip in the road, and the whole under engine panel came off in the road. Figured I’d grab it before it caused an accident. I did roll my window down then, couldn’t stomach the embarrassment of possibly being locked out after trying to be a Good Samaritan lol.

I think only time it would come in handy is, if someone tried to carjack someone. Get out and immediately close the door and run lol. Though, my 99 Cadillac has a door lock in drive automated drive and: you should always drive with doors locked anyway so, can’t see that being a “theft deterrent feature” lol.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”