Anybody use/knows Sea Foam...?

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
Julio Bro!
Car: 1993 240SX SE, manual tranny, Stillen intake & strut bar, Magnaflow cat + custom cat-back, NISMO sus

This product comes very well recomended by other car users. It's a type of cleaner/flush, which helps a lot in quieting lifters, cleaning intake manifolds/throttle, and flushing rack & pinion power steerings.

What do you say?

S14 Stud

i've never heard of that before..but if you want your engine cleaned/degreased don't use the engine degreaser crap. trust me it sucks, it's like spraying WD-40 on the engine, and it'll be just as dirty after you drive.

I cleaned my engine with this stuff my dad made, grease was just dripping off the engine it was tizight. I can ask him about selling that stuff to you guys if you want?

KwayKer
Car: My car, video games, sports

did you say "tizight"? Is that what your dad calls it or what?

TrunkMonkey
Car: 2000 lincoln navigator

sea foam works and it works very well.

trpower7

tizight eh....... what is that, some new word? Is my command of the english language slipping? and "grease was dripping off my engine , it was "tizight" " would have been the correct way even if you insisted on using your less than acceptable English. See who listens to you when you start caling things "tizight". Someone want to move this to The Ring so we can all have a kick at this clown?

trpower7

And if you had read the post and knew a damn thing about cars you would have noticed that he was talking about an INTERNAL cleaner, let me tell you degreaser does alot for the lifters, manifolds, throttle, and power steering when you spray it on the OUTSIDE OF AN ENGINE!!!!!!! No wonder you had never heard of it....... And what your father made probably contains NAOH, which is a solvent used in paint stripper and oven cleaner. It does do a heck of a job on engines, but be careful not to get it on the paint, it will begin to bubble up almost immediately. And S14 Stud, I suggest you not post again until you have spent a month reading about cars, especially yours. You might get some newbie spraying degreaser in his valve cover thinking that's what you meant.

Julio Bro!
Car: 1993 240SX SE, manual tranny, Stillen intake & strut bar, Magnaflow cat + custom cat-back, NISMO sus

Trpower7, have you used Sea Foam, do you know of anyone that has?

trpower7

I have seen it used for power steering, and it seemed to work well, not a huge difference, but worth the $$. As far as your engine goes I would be cautious, it is one of hte more severe of the engine flushes out there. If you have really high miles you may want to think twice about it. I know I flushed my engine which has 150K on it and it made it run WORSE. I might try a half dose of it and see what happens. I am curious to know........

TrunkMonkey
Car: 2000 lincoln navigator

you don't put Sea Foam in your engine.

you pour it into your fuel tank, or you can run it through your intake via one of your vacuum lines. make sure you're outside if you do this. you'd be surprised at how much crap is going to come out of your exhaust.

trpower7

OK, I think I was thinking of a BG product, sorry.

firedane
Car: gearhead, restore old houses, computers

Hi all - I happened to see this thread as I was bouncing through the member list looking at avatars. I run on the Infiniti side. My company, an auto parts store sells Seafoam. The stuff goes into your car through the intake, through the fuel tank, or the crankcase. As an injector cleaner it is great. As a crankcase flush, it seems to work well on lifter type varnish. If you own a diesel, put it in the fuel filter in place of the priming fuel, and start the vehicle outside!! Pure seafoam through a diesel injection system is one hell of a flush job. It's first use was from Evinrude outboards as a fuel stabilizer. It works better than Sta-Bil! In fact it was an exclusive product through them for years. They also have a transmission product called Trans-Tune and a penetrant oil (aerosol) called Deep Creep. The penetrant has a neat side use. It works great as a throttle body and plenum cleaner. Don't know if is better than Blaster etc. as a penetrant.

firedaneMedina, Ohio

Julio Bro!

Hey firedane:

Can I order these products from your stores?

firedane
Car: gearhead, restore old houses, computers

I did not name my place of business as I don't like advertising on a forum. But since you asked, I work for a Car Quest franchise. The part numbers are as follows: Sea Foam line code is SEA, thr cleaner is SF16, the Deep Creep is DC14, and the Trans-Tune is TT16. You all may feel fre to send me private e-mails concerning parts prices or other questions, but I prefer not to turn this forum into a price list. If I can assist anyone, I am happy to do so.

firedaneMedina, Ohio

S14 Stud

wtf? pms day or something, yes I KNOW he was talking about internal cleaning, and yea I am also aware of what I said. I just made a point about the cleaner I used on the outside of the engine. you on the other hand didn't need to start flaming me and implying that I am a complete moron when it comes to cars. I really don't appreciate it. and just for your info, the degreser that I used had completely no paint stripping additives, it's made from all natural products...you can drink that and nothing will happen to you.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Ok Fellas:

I agree with S14 (on this part, actually I like seafoam too, but firedane already covered that) let's keep the flames to a minimum.

Calling other members names, becauce their posts sound confused ,is not a good habit for us to be in either.

S 14 will have to take a little bit of the blame, as his post 'did' sound confusing, but that's not good enough a reason to flame.

We all have had our off moments.

When I think back to all the late night posts of mine I edited the next day, cuz they were gibberish...:oface

Fred...:)

rivetapproved240
Car: mechanical work

"I cleaned my engine with this stuff my dad made, grease was just dripping off the engine it was tizight. " THEN - "You can drink that and nothing will happen to you." IS ANYBODY WORRIED? grease dripping - drink it. hmmm

xxtrizz
Car: Cars, computers

is it liek oxiclean or agent orange?

BoyWonder
Car: '93 S13 Convertible (reclaimed... wootles)

This is a really really old post. Like almost 2 years. In any case, if you need an external engine cleaner, use Lectra wash. Saw that stuff in action.. ridiculously effective at removing grease. Haven't yet used Seafoam but will soon, I think. Seems a lot of people love it.

ray240sx

I have just recently tried the Seafoam treatment and it worked great, I do notice the improvement in throttle response. I had one can sucked in through the break booster and one bottle into the crank case. After having my oil changed today, seems like it got even better results. I am awaiting to change my spark plugs to NGK. I highly recommend this product, btw i got mines from NAPA.

RL

PhaneSoul
Car: 2004- 89 240SX SE Black 5spd Wrecked
2010- 95 240SX SE Green 5spd s14.5 yay!

There was a thread about this in the general section, what ya do is get 3 bottles

1) Put a bottle in your empty gas tank, fill with ten gallons of gas, drive around untill you burn most of your gas (dont forget to save some for the trip home :) )

2) Put a bottle in your crankcase, run car for about 20-40 minutes, clouds and clouds of black smoke should come out (its cleaning) You can stop when all the black smoke is gone

3) Pour about 1/3 of a bottle in a cup and take your brake booster hose and suck it up. do it slowly as your car will want to die, repeat this 2 more times.

4) You will probably have to change your spark plugs, your 2 O2 sensors, Oil filter and getting a oil change is reccamended.

Spark plugs can cost about 5$ each depending on type and O2 sensors will probably cost about 20$ each

What is does:

Cleans the carbon out of your engine, cleans your fuel injectors, and im not sure what it cleans sending it throught your brake booster.

Its amazing what you can lean on the internet.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”