Anybody here have the JIC coil overs for there Q45 ?

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
pdqwrx
Car: 1989 240 SX, 2002 WRX Wagon, 2003 FORD f150 4DR

Hello, I just bought a burgandy 1994 Q45 and want/need to upgrade my suspension. Since Eibach is out of production and I am not a huge Tokico fan I did some research and found the JIC makes a coil over kit for the early Q's.http://www.jic-magic.com/productsjic_susp_sf1.htmSo I am wondering if anybody here has tried them. I can get them ordered for about $1150.00 and they come with a camber plate to help adjust things. All input will be appreciated.

LaterScott

Rex
Car: None

If you search for posts by onetongarage - you should find something. He's got some radical suspension mods on his G50 Q45.

jamesmost
Car: "95Qmodded, Benz wagon 4matic , 1986 MB 560sec

mark86t has had them on his car and has a set for sale -- I THINK ?i have a set of eibach springs for 300ztt which fits the Q and some guys are very happy running them and i have a set of california custom 2" lowering both sets NIB and for sale

Falkdesigns
Car: 1998 Q45t ~ EXE

Rex wrote:If you search for posts by onetongarage - you should find something. He's got some radical suspension mods on his G50 Q45.
He's riding cut springs on stock shocks.

Rex
Car: None

Falkdesigns wrote:He's riding cut springs on stock shocks.
Oh, I would swear in one of his posts was some pics showing camber plates or soomething.

Falk you have something, right? (but that's not G50)

Falkdesigns

He may have camber plates, but he has cut stock springs on stock shocks. Unless he changed it. He would have to chime in to really answer.

I have a fully re-habbed suspension, with Tein S-techs (jdm only part) and KYB SR Specials (also jdm only).

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

jamesmost wrote:mark86t has had them on his car and has a set for sale -- I THINK ?i have a set of eibach springs for 300ztt which fits the Q and some guys are very happy running them and i have a set of california custom 2" lowering both sets NIB and for sale
Mark said that Z32 coilovers will bolt on the front and you have to use the factory strut mount on the rea.r

Black95Q
Car: Infiniti Q45

elwesso wrote:
Mark said that Z32 coilovers will bolt on the front and you have to use the factory strut mount on the rea.r
But the Z32 springs work front and rear with no issues?

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Correct, Rob has them on his Q... Apparently theyre very similiar if not identical to the Z eibachs.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

What bothers me is they were designed for a car ~500 lbs. lighter, so "work" may have to be defined. I would imagine the opposite installation would make a Z ride like a buck board. Fronts could be close as Z32TT with the cast iron block of the VG30DETT could be close in weight to a VH45DE, but the rear would have to be way undersprung.

Falkdesigns

Brian, I totally agree. Springs should be matched to each car. Just 'cause it may fit, doesn't mean it will work right.

one ton garage

G50 coilover applications do not use a camber plate, as the front and rear suspension actually uses shocks, not struts, and camber is adjusted by changing the length of the upper control arms, front and rear. The JIC coilovers seem to be pretty decent, and if you can really get them for that low a price for a brand new set, then they are worth a shot, especially since your other options are limited. But you should get that in writing, because I do remember them costing a bit more. The question is what are you looking for in terms of suspension modifications?

And interestingly enough, while upgrading another susp component on my Q the other day, I went through the shocks again and was pleasantly surprised to note that still no signs of accelerated wear or damage to the oem shocks or the tokicos despite the extraordinarily low springs. bumpstops seem to be doing their job and so far, so good. and thus, the air cans are put aside again...

viplife

pdqwrx wrote:So I am wondering if anybody here has tried them.
I have jic coilovers on my car. They ride very nicely for an aftermarket setup. The ride is still plush.

pdqwrx

Thank you all for the replies. I come from a long line of modified cars and generally like my cars to be a little on the stiff side. I was/am worried that the JIC coilovers would be a little too stiff for this car. Especially when I do the front TC bushings and the Stillen upper control arms to keep the camber correct. I would do the correct Eibachs if they were available. As for spring rates, if you go to JIC's web site, you can look up the coil over kit for the Q and compare the spring rates against the other applications. I remember them being alot different then the Z. VIPLIFE, do you get around much? If I made the drive to Sunnyvale would you take me for a ride and let me check out the JIC's?

Thanks again for all your help

Scott

si
Car: Q45, R32 GTR

I have the JIC coilovers on my car too. Car sits pretty low even with it adjusted right up, but i do have a big bodykit though. The ride is a little rough but the big leather seats help that alot. It's also a bit bouncy with it right up. Overall its not too bad, car looks good and you get used to the ride.

louiegz
Car: 2003 BMW 330i, 2007 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

pdqwrx wrote:Especially when I do the front TC bushings and the Stillen upper control arms to keep the camber correct.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading a while back that the Stillen upper control arm was the same length fully extended than the stock one. That being the case, it wouldn't solve any negative camber problems you will have from lowering the car. Not only that, people said that they are noisy and expensive. I'd ask someone that has them installed in there Q to elaborate on this before you go through the time and expense of the Stillen upper control arm.

one ton garage

If anything, I found the JIC coilovers to be a little on the more plush than the stiff side... gotta remember that most coilovers made for the G50 chassis aren't designed for performance, but to maintain some semblance of a luxurious ride, with a low down stance. As for the Stillen front upper links... the Z32 front uca is the same length as the G50's, so if the stillen unit is designed to go longer than the stock Z32 one, then it should work fine in doing the same in the G50

pdqwrx

Thanks again to everybody for their input. I have a done a ton of searching online and talking with company contacts that I have made over the years (I run a retail car stereo store that dabbles in performance parts) and had a really good conversation with a manufacture that builds Nissan performance parts. He builds parts for the S-13/14 and the Z32. He is working on a set of coil-overs for the z-32 that could be re-built for the Q45 chassis pretty easily. He also makes a upper control arm with 4 deg. of adjustment and replacement TC rods with bearings. Has anybody installed a new TC rod with bearings? How much NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness) do they add to the car?

one ton garage

A neglible amount of additional nvh imo...esp when factoring in the added stability and tracking gained, it's worth the upgrade if your oem units are worn or busted. z32 coilovers when used in a g50 would lower your car A LOT depending on the design of the coilover, and how much shorter it is than even the z32 app it is meant for. this could be a good or bad thing, depending on what you are looking for

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”