Any suggestions to obtain a key to a 92 240SX by VIN

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
Edelweiss
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx Vert

hello I'm trying to reach out to the forum for a suggestion on how to obtain a key code by VIN. I went to the local Nissan dealer and they said they can't do anything prior to 1998. I spoke with a couple of different local locksmiths and they said that someone out there should have a list of the key codes by VIN still on their files.

Does anyone know how to obtain this? My vehicle got towed yesterday and and it's accumulating storage fee so I want to resolve this ASAP.

Thank you in advance.

Edelweiss
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx Vert

I forgot to add there is no sticker in the glove box.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

First of all, nice username.
2nd - that's odd they can't do anything prior to 1998. Have you tried talking to other Nissan dealers?
The only other thing I could think of would be to get a new ignition cylinder and/or lock cylinder and get new keys with it.

GTS550
Car: S14 Zenki, S14 Kouki, 100-Series Land Cruiser

OP, did you have any luck retrieving your key code or getting new keys cut? I'm running into the same issue with my 1997.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

You can still acquire a replacement key if you have lost the original. You may have the option of returning to the dealer to obtain a replacement, however, this can be very expensive, especially if you need your vehicle to be towed to your dealership’s location. A more affordable option is to enlist the services of an auto locksmith. In fact, many dealers utilize the services of outside locksmiths for replacement keys and many locksmiths can cut and program the exact same key for about 50% less cost than a dealership.

An experienced locksmith will be able to make a replacement key for you even if you do not have the original. When you contact a locksmith, you will need to supply some information to the company before your key can be replaced.

GTS550
Car: S14 Zenki, S14 Kouki, 100-Series Land Cruiser

Update for posterity: I contacted Nissan corporate through the 'Contact Us' form on NissanUSA.com and they were able to "de-archive" my VIN/key code so my local dealer can look it up. My local dealership parts department was able to do just that the next day (by looking it up in HOST) and retrieve the key code. They're now having issues cutting the older 8-pin key, but that's a different issue. Good luck to others who need this solution!

Return to “240sx General Discussion”