Any Software Update for Antiquated Phone commands/Voice

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
haleakalag

For 8 years I’ve been making Bluetooth calls from INFINITI’s, first M37, now Q70. Compared to most other brands, calling is like the Alexander Graham Bell days. Even using the shorter commands, there are too many steps, and too frequent wrong numbers selected for the list. Is anyone aware of a software update or anyway to change it to the modern era, where one says “Call My Proctologist” and it goes right through? Thanks.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

The software in this car sucks. You're better off either getting something like a VLine VL2 and having Google Assistant handle it for you or just use your phone and initiate the call (less safe).

haleakalag

Y Ilya. One of the main reasons I got the Q70 (sight unseen, my mistake) was assuming there would be a software change from my M37, and other improvements. The sonar is the only positive change to me. You’d think a simple software update would be easy and available.

kmiles
Car: 2015 Q70 3.7 AWD - Hermosa Blue
Sold - 2007 M35x

As far as I know, there is no Bluetooth software update available for the Q70. I've found the voice command work a lot better when I set up a set of "Quick Dial" names & numbers for my most frequently used numbers. When there is a lot of road noise, I can sometimes get 4 or 5 numbers to select from, but when it is quieter, I usually get the right number the first time. I hope that helps a little. Until I set those up, what it automatically selected from my 200+ numbers in my contact list was usually useless.

haleakalag

Thanks kmiles. I evolved into the quick dial mode with my M, and agree, it’s marginally acceptable with a small contact list there. Identical system and commands with the Q. Just frustrating 8 years later when it goes wrong and off the list, when playing with Navigation sites which aren’t very basic. End up using SIRI. Even though SUVS, crossovers and competition killed the Q70s, I really believe it is the 2011 technology (which was nice back then, ancient now) was a major contributor.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

It's disappointing, but understandable that Infiniti have given very little thought to improving or upgrading their flagship since 2006. In 2006 they were way ahead of any other luxury sedan by including AFS headlights, temp controlled seats, bluetooth, radar cruise, and loads of other kit. That, unfortunately was where they stopped. Of course, after others added parking sensors and active lane assist, Infiniti kept up, but never stepped ahead of even the cheapest US brands. The 2006 era 400-watt Bose stereo is still in the 2019 models - 13 years with knob changes, but no upgrade. Every other luxury leader, even Hyundai has a better system. I think it's for 2 reasons.
First, management at Infiniti has been all over the place and in no particular direction with a circus atmosphere for years now. Announcements would be made of great new advancements, but they never actually got there because of changes being stifled at the top during multiple CEO changes. In 2011, the M35/45 became a smaller Mazda-looking body with updated front and rears called the M37/56. That was the last real redesign. After that, if was mainly cosmetic changes to the front and rear end and the cabin stayed pretty much identical for the last 8 years.
Second, Infinit have never really supported or advertised its flagship sedan since the old Q45. After the first M35, it was left to run on auto pilot with one actual redesign, one engine change, and one gearbox change over the next 13 years. My 2009 has more comfort, a larger body, a better ride, and many standard features that haven't even been offered since 2010. I don't have parking sensors or the surround camera, but I don't feel like I'm missing out, either. I love my M35 and now that Infiniti will no longer be making any full size RWD petrol sedans, I am left with no options. I don't want a smaller, over stressed, high pressure, direct injected, tubo'd motor with a CVT gearbox. Now that all the major sedans are either being dropped, or changed to electric or hybrids, I'm not at all sure what I will drive next. The only plausible option would probably be a genesis, or another 2009-2010 M with low miles (if there are any left).

haleakalag

Totally agree Larz. I’m facing the same dilemma. I love large sedans (hold 4 sets of golf clubs). The Hyundai and Kia high end sedans May be my next stop, but it’s a tough psychological jump.

Yoda's Master
Car: 2012 M56
2009 370z

I like my vline2 for this exact reason.

haleakalag

Yoda's Master wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:04 am
What car is that system in??

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

haleakalag wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:43 am
Yoda's Master wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:04 am
What car is that system in??
It's an aftermarket piece. You can find my HowTo on this forum and a review on YouTube. It's basically Android Auto for your car.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”