Any reloaders in here?

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum
bobotech

Just wondering if there are any reloaders in here.

If so, what do you use and recommend for a setup?

srpowered240sx
Car: 90 240sx-sr, 92 F-150, 00 bmw 323ci, 1991 s13 coupe, 99 F250 Dsl

my dad has a whole bench loading set up for 12 gauge and 20 gauge. i know only AA shells will work (as far is i know). its a whole lot cheaper than buying them. if i remember correctly, you can only reload lead shot (but dont quote me on that, its been a lot of years since i last played with it).

bobotech

I haven't done any shotgun shell reloading since I don't really hunt or shoot clays yet.

All I reload currently are pistol calibers but down the road I want to get a nice Dillon setup to reload rifle calibers and pistol calibers.

Thaddeus
Car: 1998 240SX se 1984 Porsche 944

I have a Lee progresive reloader, it was pretty cheap when i bought it and has worked well. It would shat out 50 rounds in no time. You'll need a good ballistics guide book, it will help deternime how much of what kind of powder to put behind how heavy of a bullet at whatever caliber with an aproxamate muzzle velocity. I used one by Speers, it was pretty accurate. Don't skimp on the dies, get the good ones, they will be coated or hardend so they will not require as much maintenance.

I think i used 215gn lead cast bullets for my 45 and 185gn in the 9milli in a semi wad-cutter mostly. Lead cast bullets are dirty and put lead in the air (use in a well ventilated area) but they do not wear out your barrel like some jacketed slugs and you should be able to pick up a box of 500 for around $25. I also played around with Red Dot, Blue Dot, Bullseye and Unique powders. I liked Unique the best, it was the cleanest and most consitent burning.

I've been out of the scene since I moved to Florida so some of this info might be outdated. Good luck and be carefull.

myother45isalesbaer
Car: 2004 M45 Q70 awd,4.5

Oh yea!!!! I have reloaded .222's, .243's, 458's, 38's. 44 Special's, 357's and 44 mag's.

How can I help.

bobotech

Well I think I'm pretty set now. Here is my current setup:

I'm going to be changing my single stage out for a hornady LnL to match my progressive (easy changing of the dies).

myother45isalesbaer
Car: 2004 M45 Q70 awd,4.5

I would say you are. Only caution words I have is go slow. I always prefered accuracy over speed. You seem to have a ton of good stuff.

Watch the primer feeds. They can kill you. My goal was always getting things consistent as in case sizing, powder loads and bullet seating. You can't do that on a fast press. I use a single stage H press. Its slow, but I have control all the way.

If your goal is to reload fast.........you definately have the tools to do so.

You have alot of nice stuff. Be safe and slow down..........its not about how fast or many you can roll out.....its all about how good they are, and how well they shoot in your guns.

bobotech

I load light. I figure that if I'm going to be loading a lot (my kid shoots in IPSC and I have been thinking about dabbling in cowboy shooting) its better to err on the side of caution.

So my book calls for 8.6 grains of Unique as starting load and 9.6 for max load, I will load at 8.6 starting load (thats my 45LC load for now).

I also use a powder cop die in my 4th station to get a visual representation of the powder charge as I load. Very reassuring.

With the rifle that we reload for (Swiss K31), we load on the single stage only.

I have been having a lot of fun shooting my old Vaquero in 45LC lately more than my semis.

lebshiff21

I load for .204 Ruger, 6.5x55, .38 special/.357, .44 special/.44 mag.

I have a Lee Turret press and a Lee single stage.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”