Any long distance (marathon) runners?

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum
Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

For a long time (‘bout 2 decades), something I've always wanted to do (not one of those before I die type of things, but more like banging a hot celebrity type of things. If it doesn’t happen my life won’t be empty) was to compete in bodybuilding and do an Ironman triathlon. Well my connective tissue will no longer allow me to lift like I need to be a competitive NPC bodybuilder, so I think I’ll start looking into doing a triathlon…so long as my joints/connective tissue don’t give out on me like they did for bodybuilding.

Part of the triathlon is a marathon, so I figure I should train to do one of those and if I can run one (which will likely be the hardest part for me, assuming my shoulder can do the swim), then I should be just fine in completing a triathlon. I’m an ok biker, but 112 miles in the saddle will make my butt sore.

I’ve been reading up some on marathon training and they mention varying lengths of runs and running at a “conversationalist” speed. That means you shouldn’t have too much difficulty holding a conversation with your running partner. I have never in my life trained at a conversationalist speed and I have hammered that into people I have trained that if you can talk, you’re not working hard enough.

Between 4-7yrs ago, for road bike training, long distance rides, I’d train in the 160-175bpm range and for shorter sprint style rides (15min or so between 25-35mph) I’d train 180-200bpm, which is also my VO2 max. http://en.wakopedia.org/wiki/F...s.png

On runs, I now train in the 160-170bpm range. For a conversationalist speed, I’d have to get my heart rate down to ~120-130bpm? I don’t actually know, because I’ve never done it.

Those that do run long distance, what your 5k, 10k, etc. times at race speed and what are your training speeds?
Modified by Looneybomber at 11:31 AM 12/13/2009

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

I'm slow and can't run very far. Sorry to be of no help Looneyman.

Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

Repo Man wrote:I'm slow and can't run very far. Sorry to be of no help Looneyman.
As Chris Rock says..."...I like guns. If you got a gun, you don't have to work out."http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw574SDiogM

93coupe
Car: crap

This is also something that I am very interested in. Lou, with the Altima coupe, is someone who would probably be able to answer all of your questions Looney.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”