Any input on converting 03 QX4 HID to a LED headlight system?

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
brandonpoc
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4

I have had a recurring issue with my 2003 QX4 where, despite THREE different ballast replacements, the drivers-side HID ballast and bulb burn out within 48 hours of installation. I am sick of trying to figure out WHY this is happening - nobody, not even Infiniti techs have been able to figure it out - and am thinking of purchasing a LED headlight conversion kit. I assume I would remove my HID ballasts and just install the LED bulbs, correct? Is anyone experienced with these? Has anyone done the conversion for their stock HID low-beam to LED? There is plenty of information out there regarding fog-light and high-beam LED conversions but nothing much related to the low-beam.

Again, I have to get rid of the HID because the car is undriveable at night when the drivers-side light is perm. burned and the passengers side flickers constantly. And before anyone asks, I have replaced the ballast with a stock/OEM ballast and two different after-market ballasts including a Kensun which are very highly rated. There is something wrong electrically and it just cannot be put to rest - I am hoping i won't affect the LED system but there's no guarantees on that either.

So - does anyone have any input on this? Any experience? Any tips on what to do, what brand to buy, caveats to be aware of?

Thank you!

angar4ik

Did you try switch bulbs? It can be that bulb is wrong.

There is in google plenty of "Dual Beam LED Headlights Kit" s. Don't buy cheap ones. The smaller led element the better light focus will be.

brandonpoc

Yes I tried bulbs as well - as stated above I replaced the wiring, the ballasts THREE times; once with an OEM from a junk yard, once with a brand-new Ken Sun, and another with a brand-new no name, replaced the bulbs THREE times (all good HID 6000k bulbs), and each time the ballast on the drivers side burned out with the passenger-side light starting to flicker and shut itself off at random.

I am hoping that whatever caused the issue with the HID will not cause issue with an LED replacement. I am replacing the alternator and battery as my alternator went out recently. I am thinking perhaps the issue with the HID ballasts could have been caused by the alternator malfunctioning and delivering too much current and blowing it out. I am just guessing at this point as NOBODY has been able to fix my problem.

I will look into those dual-beam LED kits you mentioned. I bring it up here, on this forum, because the salesman at carID.com told me that they had no low-beam LED conversion kits for a 2003 QX4. I cannot find much information about 03 QX4s being converted to low-beam LED, either. I was hoping someone here had done it, and could recommend a known-to-work brand and model.

Thank you!

Blindaviator
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

LED's are generally a lot more sensitive to voltages and voltage spikes so I am betting they will fail as quick or quicker than the others unless you identify the problem...

Looking on google I found where another person was having issues with only the left low beam... One "expert" said it could be the "headlamp battery saver control unit" in the left kick panel under the dash... It supplies all the current to the relays and lamps by what I am reading...
Well, for this one I would work sort of backwards.
When there is no light, you will first have to check for power going out to the light. Most of the switches make a ground so normally you have constant power.
When it isn't working,check for power to the harness for the Ballast, if there is no power, then check the purple/white wire coming out of the battery saver control unit for ground. It has to send a ground signal to the relay to turn the relay on.
If there is power to the ballast,but no light, then it would likely be the ballast heating up and losing function,not powering up the headlight.

brandonpoc

Just an FYI to anyone seeing this thread in the future with the same question regarding LED low-beam headlight conversions for the QX4; apparently, none (currently) exist that are supported. The reasons were not made clear to me by the no-less-than-a-dozen light vendors / manufacturers I phoned or e-mailed but I think it has something to do with the headlamp assembly on the 2001-2003 QX4. It MAY be available for the 97 - 2000 QX4 models that did not have HID lighting but the later model base has some type of reflector or beam-narrower or something in its assembly that is not compatible with LED low-beams. It may also be the clearance for the bulb; many of these LED lights have a built-in fan in their assembly and might not fit. I am speculating here, but what I'm sure on is the lack of LED low-beam systems for the 2001 - 2003 QX4.

You can find LED fog lamp conversions and conversions for the high-beam but the low-beam does not seem to exist. If you swap out your headlamp assembly with something after market like those "Spider" headlamps you may find a conversion that works. But for stock, it doesn't seem there's anything supported.

If anyone does manage to do it with the stock headlamp assembly, please post here.

Otherwise, I think we can call this thread done.

Regards!

Legend11
Car: My Car: 2001.0 Infiniti QX4
Dad's Car: 2001.5 Infiniti QX4

any updates or ideas to try after almost 4 years? My dad's 2001 is having an issue with his passenger-side that is blowing fuses. My 2001 driver-side flickers and cuts off/on at random times.

The idea of doing away with this 20-year old system is becoming more appealing by the day rather than to buy 20-year old used OEM ballasts/parts...

What is everyone else doing?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The only thing that usually kills ballasts like that is high resistance in the ground wiring. The ballasts use N-channel MOSFETs for the charge pump that produces the high voltage (400V), and poor grounding heats up the FETs just like a bad engine ground will kill the FETs in 3-wire COP coils. If there aren't obvious problems in the ground connection, check the pin-fits and condition of the plating on all the connector pins. Corroded contact plating or poor spring pressure will both cause resistance and heat when current is flowing, and even a few ohms of resistance on the ground side is a ballast-killer.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”