Any Former J30 Owners Here?

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
VimyJJ
Car: 95 J30t

My 95 J30t is easily the best car I have ever owned. It's reasonably "athletic", sweet handling, super comfy, luxurious and inspires that priceless quality, "driver confidence". Great car that I maintained up to the standards of NICO. It has a 30k miles on the present new OEM suspension, a well maintained tranny and engine with 40K miles until timing belt replacement time. However, it is 10 years old and little things are stacking up: brake light actuator switch has rendered the cruise inoperable; some bulbs out on the climate control area; radio display is dead; windshield shows 10 years of sand, grit, etc. This means that replacement (?) time is coming.

I would love to pick up a "gangsta" looking 2004 M but I am purposely limiting myself to 6 cylinders and either a coupe or an X. Is the G a worthy replacement for a J?? The J30 is a solid touring machine. Does the G compare?

I've recently tested a bunch of new and used Infinitis and they drive very well but do they compare favourably overall to a car that cost $40k new in 1995?

All responses are greatly appreciated and ones from J owners would be especially informative to me.

Thanks,

Vimy

J-Owner
Car: 2010 FX35 owner and former owner of an '05 G35 Coupe and a '95 J30T.

Vimy, as a former J30 owner I can tell you that nothing compares to the J.

As you read in another thread on here, I have not been too happy with the coupe. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I am sure that others on here will praise the coupe. Different strokes for different folks.

I will tell you that going from a J to a G coupe WILL BE a shock for you. Smooth luxury ride to a sometimes jarring sports car ride.

Perhaps the sedan would be a better choice if you are looking for a more luxury ride. I have only driven the sedan for a loaner but it rode nice.

However, when you are talking about the little details (like the small pinhole map light overhead in the J, the soft down pillow like headrests, which I miss a lot!!! the look and feel of the interior) you know all the little things that you add up about a car to decide if you like it then it is totally different. The G absolutely IS NOT a replacement for the J and doesn't compare in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, the J had its fair share of problems (lack of power, poor leather on the driver door, flaky transmissions, sunroof and other equipment that would go out before it should, etc.) still a good car for its time.

A more close comparison for the J would be the M without a doubt.

I am sure some other coupe and sedan owners will chime in. Take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Rex
Car: None

Never ridden in a J, but have heard/read enough, I'd say it's "comparable" to a Q. The G's I've ridden in are significantly stiffer, especially with 18's.

I guess, I'm echoing J-Owner's comments regarding the G Coupes bias to sport over luxury in comparison to the mid-90's larger 4 door Infiniti's.

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

I agree. The G is completely different than a J. The J is more of a pure luxury car, where as the G is more of a sports car with some luxury features. I've been very happy with my G coupe, but I also wasn't trying to replace a luxury car. If you want another real luxury car, the G probably isn't exactly what you would want.

WIth that said, take a G for a test drive, but remember that it is not going to be anything near the J. It is a completely different type of car.

I would say that the I is a little more closely linked to the J and you could do a better comparrison between those.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

No offense, but I've never been to fond of the J myself. The backend never did it for me. I mean, you can't go wrong with essentially a VG30 motor and multi-link rear suspension, but I couldn't get over that back end...

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”