Any advice for faulty corrosion warranty repair

All things Altima Coupe.
giftofscrews
Car: 2010 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5 Fully Loaded

Hi all,

Back in 10/2014, I had some corrosion coming in a really weird spot on my car right on the inside of the fuel door, pretty much in the bottom edge of the seam where it's welded to the quarterpanel. I went to the dealership, and since I had a few months left on my corrosion coverage, they agreed to fix it under warranty. Of course, I was advised that it may be more than surface rust, but they wouldn't know for sure, so they requested a simple repair/repaint. Unfortunately for me, it took about 3 years for it to start coming back up, rusting again, paint bubbling up, exact same spot, etc. I went back to the dealership to talk to them and the collision manager confirmed that it's most likely coming from underneath the panel, and the only real option was to replace the entire QP (that thing is huge, by the way). So I really didn't expect Nissan to approve it on warranty work that had been done 3 years prior, but I asked the service manager to approach it from the angle that, had it been known the QP needed replacement originally, they would've done it. Now that it's clear that should've been the proper path, would Nissan agree to replace it?

I got a call this morning from the manager and, no surprise, he said that the Nissan rep refused to cover the warranty because of how long ago the repair was. Does anyone have experience with a similar situation, or advice in terms of what else I could do? Does Nissan corporate/customer care actively help with issues like this? I've been a Nissan fan since 2002, and I've always planned on buying Nissans the rest of my days, but it's really disappointing that an improper procedure was taken to fix my problem under warranty, and now I would incur significant costs out of pocket to fix what should have been fixed originally. I would really appreciate any suggestions or advice that anyone may have. Thank you.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

All bets are pretty much off on rust repair, they have so bumped the amount of salt on the roads in winter it's not funny. You should troll for some other corrosion issues like in suspension parts, 3 years is considered good for many as you have to chisel bolts in half to remove anything that old in some places. Major chassis parts can be corroded in two by 3 years.

Here in Texas with little rust until they began using salt 3 years ago, they would absolutely not change an entire 1/4 for something like that, they would simply patch it instead. The official view is that some parts will rust and that's not a chassis stiffening spot at all so no safety issue involved. An 8 year old car has no right to expectation of being rust free and they already fixed it once. They will tell you there is warranty on the warranty work but just try to collect it, the odds drop like a rock.

Here in Texas it's acid rain and the paint showing to primer in spots after 6 years, they won't touch it.

Return to “Altima Coupe (2008-2013)”