Antifreeze leaking

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Leo2005

Last night the Rogue pretty much ruined my eve. On the party one girl asked for a ride and on a way to her house I started to smell antifreeze. The girl asked me what is that smell and I was thinking its coming from outside and said that must be from somebody else. But when I parked my car next to her house I see a lot of smoke started to come out under the hood. I don't feel like going Nissan no more. Assembly point I believe is Mexico so don't think that this is a quality assembly point. Will check with service dept. on monday. I don't see antifreeze anywhere under the hood but it smells so much under the hood.

philipa_240sx

Leo2005 wrote:Assembly point I believe is Mexico so don't think that this is a quality assembly point.
FYI:

All Rogues are built in Nissan's Kyushu, Japan assembly plant. The parts are sourced from other Nissan plants and suppliers within Japan or abroad.

Obviously something is not right. It could be as simple as a faulty radiator cooling fan causing an overheating condition, or something else.

Have the dealer look at it.

wbloomfield
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Leo2005 wrote:Last night the Rogue pretty much ruined my eve. On the party one girl asked for a ride and on a way to her house I started to smell antifreeze. The girl asked me what is that smell and I was thinking its coming from outside and said that must be from somebody else. But when I parked my car next to her house I see a lot of smoke started to come out under the hood. I don't feel like going Nissan no more. Assembly point I believe is Mexico so don't think that this is a quality assembly point. Will check with service dept. on monday. I don't see antifreeze anywhere under the hood but it smells so much under the hood.
Stange, this has happened to me too. I went to the dealer and it's documented in case I have futher problems. They did not find any leaks but at times I smell engine coolent and it smells on my side of the car. I have stuck my nose in the front grill and smell it bad on the drivers side but does not exist on the passerger side. Wow, this is weird. Please keep us informed...

wbloomfield
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Leo2005 wrote:Last night the Rogue pretty much ruined my eve. On the party one girl asked for a ride and on a way to her house I started to smell antifreeze. The girl asked me what is that smell and I was thinking its coming from outside and said that must be from somebody else. But when I parked my car next to her house I see a lot of smoke started to come out under the hood. I don't feel like going Nissan no more. Assembly point I believe is Mexico so don't think that this is a quality assembly point. Will check with service dept. on monday. I don't see antifreeze anywhere under the hood but it smells so much under the hood.
Oh, one other thing.. I did not see any smoke coming out. I was told by the dealer that there is a vent for coolant and I might be smelling that. I do not know if this is the truth or B.S.

philipa_240sx

Nissan did have issues with leaking radiator caps on the Altima... perhaps it has reoccured with the Rogue.

The problem was an incorrect size rubber gasket which would allow coolant to leak out onto the rad instead of into the overflow tank. Look for green coolant stains around the rad cap and the top of the rad. If present, it may be a faulty rad cap.

kots

pics? (of the girl) =)

philipa_240sx

wbloomfield wrote:I was told by the dealer that there is a vent for coolant and I might be smelling that. I do not know if this is the truth or B.S.
As engine coolant is heated, it expands. Once the system pressure reaches 15 psi or so, a small valve opens in the rad cap and allows the coolant to escape via a hose to the overflow tank. The overflow tank does indeed have a vent and you may occasionally get a whiff of coolant smell from it. The dealer is correct.

Speaking of the overflow tank, it has MIN & MAX marks. You should check it when the engine is cold. It is normal for a small amount of coolant to evaporate and over time it will drop below the MIN mark. If it is, add a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water to bring it up above MIN. Small premixed bottles of coolant are good for this. Overfilling the tank above the MAX mark will result in coolant escaping via the vent hole once the engine has warmed up.

Leo2005

Dropped the car off yesterday at the dealership. Hopefully will get it back on monday.

Leo2005

Strange. They didnt find anything. The car was running for 7 hours and they didn't find any leaks. Like my father said it might be something from outside like water or oil got to heat shield or somewhere else where hot or even that antifreeze that i smelled might be on one of the hot spots where it was burning until it is gone. Don't know what happened. But I got news that I was expecting to hear from the dealership one day. My front electrical warranty have been void because of my headlights. (like I care) It is already almost 20k miles and the warranty only 36k.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Are you telling me that your service techs ran your car for 7 hours?? That doesn't sound right to me, it would take a lot of fuel to run it for that long and shouldn't have been necessary in order to diagnose the problem.......

Leo2005

He burned about a 1/4 of the tank.

philipa_240sx

Leo2005 wrote:He burned about a 1/4 of the tank.
And they didn't replace the gas used? Sure it's probably $15 in gas, but still.

Running it at idle is very suspicious. The engine had practically no load on it, and it likely didn't test the cooling system to it's limits.

I would continue to monitor it. Check your coolant level and the engine bay in general periodically. Preferrably right after a decently long drive (>20 min). If there is a small leak it will appear while the engine has just been turned off, not after a few hours when everything has dried up.

Leo2005

You've got a point. Will definitely continue to check. Thank you for the tip.

Leo2005

Well...I believe this is my mistake. I just saw a smoke coming out of my headlight. So I guess it is either a converter of my angel lights burning out or the xenon bulb gets so hot and touching the plastic. Sorry everybody...no worries anymore. Just me and my stupid project.

Return to “Rogue Forum”