Anti-radar recommendations for G 35

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
Trojan

I was wondering if you would recommend a good anti-radar I could instal on my coupe. I saw some in Costco but was wondering if there are better ones available elsewhere.

DAEDALUS
Car: 1990 Q45

Nothing beats a V1.

jtesensky
Vendor
Car: 2005 QX56, 2002 QX4

I have heard a lot of good things about the Passport 8500

Trojan

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and bought the Passport 8500 x 50 ($299.00). I know V 1 is amazing but it seems like the Passport is not far behind plus it's a bit cheaper. We will see.

DAEDALUS
Car: 1990 Q45

Just remember nothing you can buy will protect you from instant-on radar, which is popping up more often on deserted interstates from what I can tell. It's a good idea to try to keep at least one vehicle in your sights at all times, as far in front of you as possible.

SoCalTed
Car: '03.5 G35 Sedan

A Valentine with a Uniden BearTracker is a great combo.. have been running that combo for about 6 years.

you know where to find V1's... get BearTracker's here.

BCT7 there is also a BCT8

Can't find the BCT10 or 12 on their site right now. But here's what they look like and some info

Beartrackers are like scanners, but they pick up the communications AMP in the back of police cars and motorcycles. When the dispatcher keys down, or the officer, it will trigger your BCT's alarm within a 3 mile radius. they may instant on/off their radar, but they sure do love to chat while sitting around!

BTW, the BCTs are discontinued, so you have to purchase them remfg from uniden. You can get them on ebay, put you will pay an arm, leg and first born. Uniden "wait list" usually takes about 3 weeks and is 1/4 the price on ebay.

The BCT7 is the larger unit that picks up police aircraft & 800Mhz. The smaller radar size units do not. They do not have a digital unit yet (and there are no plans for 'em), but the Sherriffs and CHP (& many local PD's) have not switched to digital in Southern CA. Check your favorite "scanner" forum to see if your local PD have switched to digital. There are regular digital scanners out there, but they do not have the "TrunkTracker" tech.

I currently run the BCT7 (mounted in my armrest) connected via a tape adaptor, wired behind the dash. That way i can scan the police and get the alerts thru my steering wheel's "tape" mode.

Cheers, ted

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

Dang Ted, your going high tech there.

ShadowKnight006
Car: 95 240SX & 96 Altima

"You're a smart fence, Ted. Maybe too smart."

Ok someone had to do it. But that is a nice setup you have there ted. Can you actually hear the convo's between the officers or does it just sound an alarm?

SoCalTed

Here, I created a quick video to show you... I coulda spent more time and got you a juicy call, but you get the idea! it pulls in police activity in a 30 - 50 mile radius. You also get weather alerts, Dept. of transportation, Police and Highway Patrol chatter. You can also block channels or Scan PD/HP only.

it's zipped to save a little bandwidth - -it is about 1MB, so be patient.

The three consecutive beeps is the alarm.

Cheers, Ted

ShadowKnight006
Car: 95 240SX & 96 Altima

WOW, that is so kewl, Knight Rider like even! I am going to have to look into one of those.

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

That's all a bit too much for me. I just use my eyes and spidey senses to detect if there is someone running radar around. It really just takes some common sense to look ahead and after you've driven the same route day in and day out you get a pretty good idea of what's around. Though not 100% accurate, I think using common sense works just as well as spending a few hundred dollars. I've been driving for quite some time now and have never been stopped for any traffic violations. I know plenty of people who have radar detectors who have still been stopped.

Trojan

Just out of curiosity, what if I get pulled over and the police officer sees that I have an anti-radar. Will I be in trouble?

SoCalTed

Beartrackers are not "anti-radar" they are scanners.

Check local ordinances for use of mobile scanning stations. I am not aware of any laws against them in the U.S.

Here is a good source for scanning and radar detecting laws.

Radar Detectors are another thing. They are not "Anti" or radar "defeating" units. Detectors, for the most part are legal. Some states/provinces may have laws against the use of them if you are breaking the law (or using them to assist you in breaking the law) Canada may be stricter, as they are with Radar Detectors. I don't believe Canada allows radar dectors.

Oh ya, radar jammers are all crap. Caveat emptor.

Cheers, ted

GeeThreeFive

How much does that setup cost?

SoCalTed

$100 - 150 for the BCT7 (big)

or around $100-125 for the BCT10 (small)

$20 for the cassette adapter.

$35 for the better radio shack antenna

2-3 hours for install

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Do you happen to know the differences between the BCT7 and BCT8? These are still on the Uniden web site.

Z

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”