Antenna Install DIY

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
armybrat
Car: 2012 M56x with Tech Package (sold)
Custom 2-1/2" X-pipe exhaust with OEM sport mufflers
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

After reading satown210's post about installing a newer antenna for better XM radio reception, I decided to do the same thing. From what I gathered, in 2014 Nissan came out with a redesigned antenna that supersedes the ones that came on our 2011 - 2013 Model M. This new part number will fit many model Infiniti and Nissan vehicles. Anyway, I would like to share my experience with this install. First of all, a new replacement antenna (without the cover) will run about $215 or so. I found a used 2018 Q50 antenna with the cover on Ebay for $39.99:

Just out of curiosity, I called the dealership to ask what they charge for installing the antenna I bought - about $400 or so...3-1/2 hours labor. I believe the FSM calls for removal of the headliner which is not necessary; you only need to drop the rear section down far enough to access the nut and wire connector...maybe an hour or so tops.

Ok, so the first thing you do is remove the grab handles on both sides of the back seat. You do this by pulling the release tab towards you at the top of the retainer cover and sliding it upwards:

This exposes the retaining clips. There is a top and bottom lip on the outside and a top and bottom detent on the inside that holds these clips in the sheet metal. When pulling the headliner down it's possible to dislodge these from the holes. You'll need a pair of needle pliers to snap them back in place if this happens. They should stay put, no need to remove them from the sheet metal:

Next, you'll need to remove the back seat completely. This will allow you to remove the rear pillars which will allow you to pull the headliner down. Removing the seats is cake. There is a pull tab under each side of the seat cushion:

Pull each side out while lifting the cushion. Then work the back of the cushion out from the back seat and pivot upwards...done. This exposes the 4 studs that secures the bottom of the back rest. Remove those nuts, and pull the loops off of the studs. The top of the back rest also have 3 loops that hook on the back of the car frame. (couldn't get them all in the pic) Once you're off the studs, pivot up and lift the back off of the hooks. You'll have to slide the seat belt straps out of the way first:

Now, remove the top push pin on the black trim below the rear pillar on each side. You'll see it when you remove the seat. The pillar tucks behind this trim, so you'll need to be able to pull it out a little to get the pillar out:

Now you can pull the pillars out from around the small window easily. Once you remove the pillars, sit inside the back and reach above your head and pull down the back of the headiner with both hands, gripping it about 12 inches from each side:

The headliner will drop down enough to get to the antenna. Use a 22mm wrench and loosen the nut, squeeze the connector and pull it loose, and lift the antenna out:

I noticed a slight variation in the paint of the cover, so I decided to reuse the old one. Flip it over, and pry it loose with a small screwdriver. The old gasket looked ok, but I opted to use the newer one that came with the new antenna. You simply stretch it around the base of the antenna:

Leave the cover off, and insert the assembly into the hole, bolt it back, and snap the connector in place. The nut has a tab which lines up with a slot in the base. Once you tighten it the gasket should form a tight seal...don't overdo it. You can stop here and turn on the radio to verify proper operation before reinstalling everything. If you are satisfied, snap the cover back on, and push up on the headliner to snap it back in place. The rear pillars have two hooked tabs that slide into slots in the back deck cover...yeah I broke one when I got too impatient:

You have to pull the black lower trim piece out a little to get the front part of the pillar behind it. Make sure you tuck the headliner and pillar edges into the molding, and reinstall the push pins:

Hang the back seat rest on the three hinge points, and slip the lower loops back on the studs, and install the nuts. Slip the seat belt straps back in place:

Tuck the seat cushion into the bottom of the back rest, aligning the seat belt buckles. Then push the front down into the two locking tabs. Make sure the grab handle retaining clips were not disturbed when the headliner was pulled down. If they were knocked loose, use needle nose pliers and snap them back in place. They should be installed in the sheet metal like shown in the beginning of this post. Slide the handles back on, and reinstall the retainer covers.

There were several dead spots on my commute to work, including my neighborhood. It was frustrating. After doing this, I have reception all the way to work and back (about 25 miles). No dead spots. Anyway, hope this helps!

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Good work man! I will add this to the FAQ.

mrnix
Car: Currently 2012 M37X, Malbec Black
Formerly 2004 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Nicely done!

EdBwoy

Thanks for the write up, good info

reggiebrown40
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
2011 Infiniti M56x - Dead

Thanks to both SAtown210 and armybrat for this info. Based on what SAtown210 said I went out and bought (about 2 months ago) an antenna off a used 2017 Q60. Worked like a charm. No more dropouts due to trees. I would encourage anyone who does this to take it a step further and remove the seatbelt pillars, to take the tension off the headliner, or you might end up with permanent creases. To take the seatbelt pillars off you can snap the hard plastic part off at the bottom first. Then, remove the suede pillar that has the seatbelt running through it. Doing this is a bit tricky because the bottom part has to snap off clips, but the top part has a clip that you need to squeeze together with needlenose pliers. Other than that, it's a breeze.

Up next: Who's gonna be the first to switch out the Bluetooth module????? :-)

kmiles
Car: 2015 Q70 3.7 AWD - Hermosa Blue
Sold - 2007 M35x

Thanks for the excellent write-up. I was hoping that my new to me Q70 would show a marked improvement in satellite reception after reading this and other posts. It helped a little, but living on the west coast, I still lose satellite reception when driving on the west side of the hill that we live on and I-5 when driving from Olympia to about 30 miles south of Seattle (Federal Way area). We are getting the satellite at such a steep angle that trees and mountains in the distance (like Mt. Rainier) can block it. Even passing semis that are east of my vehicle cause me to lose signal. My wife's car loses reception in most of the same places mine does. Funny enough - I only lose the signal while northbound - southbound on I-5 doesn't have near as many issues.

reggiebrown40
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
2011 Infiniti M56x - Dead

kmiles wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:23 pm
Thanks for the excellent write-up. I was hoping that my new to me Q70 would show a marked improvement in satellite reception after reading this and other posts. It helped a little, but living on the west coast, I still lose satellite reception when driving on the west side of the hill that we live on and I-5 when driving from Olympia to about 30 miles south of Seattle (Federal Way area). We are getting the satellite at such a steep angle that trees and mountains in the distance (like Mt. Rainier) can block it. Even passing semis that are east of my vehicle cause me to lose signal. My wife's car loses reception in most of the same places mine does. Funny enough - I only lose the signal while northbound - southbound on I-5 doesn't have near as many issues.
Kmiles,

You probably have an older antenna. I did a bit of detective work and it looks as though all Infiniti's 2011+ come with one of two antenna's: 28208-6AJ0A or 28208-6AJ0B. The Q70 and M37/56 are the only models that shows a listing for both antenna's at infinitipartsusa.com. If you search for replacement antenna's for a Q50 or Q60 it only shows part number 28208-6AJ0B.

If you're still under warranty I would put pressure on infiniti corporate to change the antenna. If they don't want to do it, you can do it yourself. It's an easy fix.

drtbar

I just wanted to say thanks for this write up. It helped me a ton in replacing the antenna in my 2012 M56x that was cutting out a lot. So happy with the new antenna and only spending about $30!!

mrnix

what did you guys search on Ebay to find a replacement antenna? I'm interested in doing the swap, but want to make sure I get the right part.

armybrat
Car: 2012 M56x with Tech Package (sold)
Custom 2-1/2" X-pipe exhaust with OEM sport mufflers
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

mrnix wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:54 am
what did you guys search on Ebay to find a replacement antenna? I'm interested in doing the swap, but want to make sure I get the right part.
Depends on your trim level. Part 28208-6AJ0A is for models without the tech and/or premuim package, no navigation. Part 28208-6AJ0B is for models with the tech and/or premium package with navigation. Either part number search on Ebay will yield several auctions. I bought a used one for $40 with the correct K51 paint code cover. I ended up using my old cover because the color on the newer one seemed ever so slightly off shade.

mrnix

Thanks. I have navigation. I'm just trying to make sure I wouldn't get the pre-2013 version that I currently have but instead the upgraded version.

mrnix

Thanks to Armybrat for the write up. I did this today. Haven't fully tested it yet, but the install was smooth on my '12 M37X.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

So happy to hear that all this work paid off well for you. Great job on the DIY, too!

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”