another "which should i buy" topic

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
fungwun

Hi all, sorry for yet another post on which car to purchase. I am new to this forum and would like some honest input from the readers on this issue. I am currently trying to decide which car to buy. My choices are either the new volvo s60R or the infiniti G35 coupe. Some key stats to keep in mind is that the R has 300 hp and 258 lbs ft of torque (sorry I but i am considering auto tranny) and it is AWD with brembo brakes. The difference in price is about $14,000 more above a auto G35 coupe with performance package ( I wish the auto coupe offered brembo brakes:( ). Any and all comments are welcome and appreciated. I have asked this on volvo forums and most agree that the two are really good cars and are tough to choose btwn.

Cheers,

fungwun

GMachine
Car: cars, camping, sports

fungwun,I'd say you should pick the G35 coupe as it is a much nicer looking car ( my opinion and Car&Drivers, MT ) and it will be equal to the Volvo in performance for alot less $. By the way, the G35 coupe does come with Brembo brake pkg, - I think its an option, but its definitely available!!

GMachine

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

I agree with Gmachine. The G35 is only 20 horsepower less than the volvo and it does come with the Brembo option. I have the Brembo's on my coupe. I also think that the G35 is a much nicer looking car. It looks like a sports car and performs like a sports, only it does it in pure luxury. Another positive for the G35 is the price. How can you beat the price? The volvo is a nice car and the all wheel drive is nice. One thing to take into consideration is taht even though the G35 is rear wheel drive, it is balanced at about 50/50. I just don't think that for the money, you should pass up a rear wheel drive luxury sports coupe. Expecially one that looks so cool. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

rydwhite

Hey, one other thing. What else are they saying on the volvo forum, other than it is a tough decision? What are their pros for the volvo and cons against G35?

fungwun

Thanx for all the posts. Like I said for me it is a very difficult decision in spite of the significant difference in price. Since I would be getting the auto R there is no question that from performance numbers the "skyline" beats it to 100km/h. However, there is something about owning an exclusive model that speaks to me...

rydwhite: Well the only thing that some readers think the R has an advantage over the skyline is the fact that the R has AWD which for many is more appropriate than RWD (i.e. those in snow ladden states and/or provinces. The only other is that although many like both cars many opt for the R because it is more exclusive at less than 350 models per year in Canada. The other factor that some enjoy is being able to be a "stealthy killer" in the volvo. That is, no one would suspect a "soccer mom's" car could hit 100km/h in 5.8sec (with manual tranny). Plus other than a few small differences in exterior, it looks exactly like a normal S60, which helps in detering theft and/or vandalism.

As for the brembo's they are only available on manual G35 coupes which does'nt help me much since I would get auto for more convenient daily use. I am also perplexed as to why infiniti will no longer offer the capri blue color choice (carribean blue for US). That was the color i liked the most and now it won't be offered.

Pls keep the opinions and comments coming, I am trying to make my decision based on my needs but definitely appreciate the thoughts of other car enthusiasts.

cheers,

fungwun

rydwhite

I understand the whole notion of owning an exclusive car, but what is the point of owning an exclusive car if no-one knows it? If own something exclusive, I want people to know it. You said that there is very little difference between the R and the regular S60. I am sure that the all wheel drive would handlereally well snow. Here in Indy, we don't get quite the snow as up north, but we had about 12-16 inches most this past winter and the G35 handled almost as well as my 4x4 Ranger. THe VDC was really nice.I just think that there is something about a sports car that looks like a sports car. It would be nice though to be able to just surprise some people with the R. Enjoy the decision making.

Aries
Car: LT1 240SS

the blue is being done away with in the G35 as it did not sell well.However it will still be available on the R33. er... 350Z.

Bluestreak
Car: Cars, fatherhood, baseball, music

Hi all,

Having a carribean blue 6M/T (stick with 18"wheels and brembos) I am admittedly biased- that said, remember a couple of other things about the volvo: it's a turbo motor, so there's still a little lag, I think I read the AWD system is biased toward the front until more rear is needed (changing dry weather dynamics), and one of the car mags also says that it's so computer controlled, it won't let you get into any trouble. Also, as others have said, the look of the infiniti coupe (especialy with those beautiful golden brembo calipers sticking out behind the 18" wheels) gets more stares than any Volvo will. I also had no traction problems in February (6M/T comes with limited slip as well) and I plan to get a set of snows for this winter. The only reason I would consider the Volvo is if I had to have 4 doors- That said, my wife plans on test driving one when her BMW 540i 6-speed lease is up next year. She wants the 4 doors!

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”