Another which brake pad thread...

All over the world, Nissan products are involved in road racing, track days, time attack and autocross.
kclo4
Car: 1995 S14 with kouki front end. Track slut.

I did some searching, but can't find any brake pad reviews from people who actually race. I have an S14, stock MC, 26mm Z32 fronts, stock rears, and Hawk HPS pads. These pads really bite hard when they are warm, but seem to be worthless for auto-x and street and they are not even the "race" pads.

I am looking for some input from people who do track days AND autox, which pads you are using, and how you think they perform.

I want something that will bite when they are semi-cold durring an autocross situation, but don't melt on a track day.

What are your thoughts?

91rs13
Car: Nismo 350Z
Datsun 510

Dodge Ram 1500

I am still trying out various pads but can tell you what not to use.

KVR's --destroyed in 4 sessions at Watkins Glen --lousy for AutoX too.

Axxis Metalmasters --lasted through 2 days at the Glen and 4 autocrosses. Still had pad material, but they were fading bad at WGI --boiled the Fluid too ( Super Blue changed before the event)

Have a Set of Porterfield R4s to try next time ---was told by a club racing buddy --should have gone for Hawk Blues.

Now running HP+ on AutoX (much better than the previous 2) --and will try them at Lime Rock Park Sept 23rd --but you do not do as heavy braking there as I do at WGI.

I would love to see some other feedback.

Modified by 91rs13 at 9:28 AM 9/19/2006

kclo4

So the hawks are you best pick so far? How well do they bite for you whe cold? Do you notice it changing a lot through the run?

crackler
Car: ZOMG JDM TYT3

I have hawk HPS, and i didnt like them at all. They are almost worthless cold, and have a numbe pedal feel.However the Carbortech XP8's I have are freaking amazing. They are a full track pad and bite better cold then my hawks do. And the pettle feel is very good. But they will lock up in a second, and sound like a trash truck, so be warned. But they also make street pads that arnet as noisy.

Ceramic pads FTW!

kclo4

Good info, but good lord those are expensive pads. I am undecided whether I want to keep stock rear brakes and run a more aggresive pad in rear then front, or just spring for Z32 rears.

Sounds like the carbotechs are worth looking into though.

sr20goofus

Hawk HP+ (not HPS) is a good auto-x pad, i arn those for track day for awhiel now until i just haev to upgrade if i want to imprive my skill at all now. I run XP10 fronts and XP8 rears on Brembo blank rotors on 300zx brakes. This new setup will be absolutly killer on track, and i cant wait to run it in about a month.

crackler
Car: ZOMG JDM TYT3

kclo4 wrote:Good info, but good lord those are expensive pads. I
That they are, but they are great, other than the noise and dust that is. I am going to give them a betting friday at EVO school.

FWIW, Spec Miatas run Hawk Blue pads if I'm not mistaken.

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

you can choose in SM iirc, like other classes pads arent regulated, just rotor size and such

however, that being said, blues are some of the most popular race pads out there...ill be trying out them or something similar next summer

kclo4

Anybody have experience with how the blues work cold?

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

id highly recommend against them for street pads, theyre one of those pads that you switch over to when you get to the track

kclo4

Switching over pads is worse than switching tires and imma lazy bastard. The S14 is pretty much a fun car though. I got Z32 rears that are going on when I get my ebrake line, brakes lines, and lower shock mount and MC.No I gotta figure out what compound to switch to.

Return to “Nissan Road Racing / Auto X Forum”