another pcv question

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
chillmieste
Car: 97 240sx KA-T

ok im setting up an electric vacuum pump into my pcv system. I was wondering what the ideal number of vacuum I should see. 15hg? Also at what number is too much vacuum

thanks

superDorifto
Car: 1997 Eclipse Spyder - AWD/5spd swap in progress
1995 Q45 - 5spd swap in progress
1984 200sx hatch(KA-t swap) - 355WHP
1991/1993/1995/1997 240s - Dead
1982 200sx hatch - fixed/scrapped

no one is going to know the answer. Ive never seen a KA build with an electric pump - thought about it myself, but decided to stay passive.

check on some actual drag racing sites - besides cars that come with them from the factory, they are the only guys that might be running a pump.

15 inches of mercury sounds right, but again I've never seen a build with one to confirm or deny if that is too much or not.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

superDorifto wrote:no one is going to know the answer. Ive never seen a KA build with an electric pump - thought about it myself, but decided to stay passive.
Shut it! ;)
chillmieste wrote:ok im setting up an electric vacuum pump into my pcv system. I was wondering what the ideal number of vacuum I should see. 15hg? Also at what number is too much vacuum

thanks
What type of electric pump are you using?

From all of my reading, you don't want to go over 18HG for fear of oiling issues. However, one solution is to install oil squirters, the KADE has these already :)

The HP gain from a vacuum pump comes from the ability to run low tension piston rings and still having a good seal. So unless you're building a well sealed motor and you're running low tension piston rings, you're not going to see much of a gain.

A regular smog pump will work for basic crankcase evacuation and be much cheaper than a system that will pull anywhere near 18HG of vac on the sump. A standard electric smog pump will pull about 3HG if the motor is sealed well. This is more than enough to keep seals from leaking and remove any blowby and pressure the sump might see otherwise.

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”